Cunard QM2 one-way NewYork - Southampton (flying from LHR)

Parsley Cruises

Considering a fly-cruise - flying from London to New York, and then the one way voyage from New York to Southampton.

Is it feasible to fly from LHR (leaving about 8.30am) get through the formalities at JFK and still have plenty of time for check-in and embarkation - or is an overnight stay highly advisable in New York.

Not really interested in visiting New York as such (been there, seen it, done it etc), but interested in the one-way voyage from New York to Southampton.

Do the current formalities at JFK make the timing tight - or is it the distance from airport to ship? I don't really fancy a tight schedule, and would like to hear actual experiences before I go ahead and book.

Many thanks.:o

I would not fly in the day of your cruise. Too much risk that you miss the ship if you have a flight delay or cancellation.

Upon arrival at JFK the time will vary to collect luggage and clear immigration and customs and I would allow at least 90 minutes and it could take longer.

Again, fly in the day before.

Keith

Tourist-class hotels in Brooklyn-Park Slope (e.g., Super 8 on 3rd Ave at Carroll Street) are much more reasonably priced than Manhattan. If you just want to relax for the evening and AM and take a car to the pier late the next morning I'd recommend doing that. You can stroll over toward Carroll Park for some nice restaurants like Frankie's Sputino.

Hi Dorisis, If we did this cruise, it would be completely organised by Cunard - including the flight out to NY, transfers and if absolutely necessary an hotel and then the transfer to the ship.

I had hoped that providing we were as careful as we usually are that we could have just chilled out in the hotel and that would have been quite safe.

Many thanks:)

I had thought Doris was referring to the danger of flying in on boarding day and having a very long immigration process in NYC followed by traffic jams - but maybe she's saying it's dangerous to stroll around one of the outer boroughs??

New York is one of the safest American cities despite impressions to the contrary.

Archived