Mid-ship mini-suite or Aft balcony?

ncklhaus

We are booked on the Breakaway for Dec 2013. We will be 2 adults and our 6 1/2 year old daughter. Last cruise we were on the Jewel in a mid-ship mini-suite and it was great. We didn't take advantage of the room separating curtain and no one took a bath, only showers. I am seriously considering changing to an Aft balcony, but I just don't know if it will be too tight a squeeze for us. Does anyone have an opinion?

@ncklhaus -

Have not cruised in a mini suite, so I cannot comment on that. However, we sailed with our 12-yo grandson on the Jewel in an aft cabin. It worked out real well. The first night he slept in the pull-down bunk. While the bunk is down, it obstructs your access to the balcony door. You would have to crouch around the ladder and under the bunk, which is clumsy and inconvenient.

The rest of the week our GS slept on the pull-out sofa/bed. It, too, is right be the balcony door. The trick is not to extend the bed all the way. Just leave the last cushion (at the foot end) off and push the metal frame and mattress base back up toward the head board. That leaves you with about 2 ft of space to get to the balcony. I hope the pix will help.

During the final breakfast he paid us a nice compliment (we think): "well, I survived a whole week with you guys." Love the kid. J.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347239985.462512.jpg.627f55aa4a4ae5ffa37b4f2dca01e817.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347240029.777794.jpg.ad4a7aa28736e3af09cd8fd790d46da0.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347240063.412947.jpg.c4c07bf14d66d8f3a6e613652a8ec830.jpg

via iPod touch and Tapatalk.

I had to ask myself the same question over and over, but I came to the realization that i want aft more than anything else. Over midship spa or even mini.

We have an aft balcony booked on breakaway and also a spa balcony booked as well. Both on deck 14, I love highest decks.

Here is breakaway her top balcony row is deck 14

Norwegian-Breakaway_smaller.jpg

Just returned from Gem and booked mini suite. Have another cruise planned on Gem 2/13, but this time I booked a balcony midship Deck 10. No really much difference except tub. Actually Gem minis are below pool and cafe, which can be noisy at times.

Hi, i was on EPIC earlier this year, there isnt really much difference in the balcony and mini suite cabins, so i would go for the aft balcony as you will get the great view and wont really loose much space.

Hope that helps!

x

Hi, I see you say you have tried balcony and mini suite on the Epic and their wasn't much difference, we tried the mid ship family balcony last year and we soon having a mid ship mini suite, you say not much difference, what is the difference? I know that some have a bath but I also thought the mini suite is a bit larger.

Having been to an aft MDR in rough seas - which is actually on a lower deck than the mini suites - and having turned rather green from the up-down motions, I wouldn't want to be in one of those aft mini suites unless I can guarantee the water will be really calm.

But if you have a really strong stomach then it shouldn't be a problem.

Having been to an aft MDR in rough seas - which is actually on a lower deck than the mini suites - and having turned rather green from the up-down motions, I wouldn't want to be in one of those aft mini suites unless I can guarantee the water will be really calm.

Thank you! I think I'll stick to the mid-ship.

We suffer from sea sickness normally but took tablets for it, we were on deck 12 in a family balcony in really rough seas and not one of our party of 5 suffered sickness, we were all fine. In fact we thought the up and down motion made us sleepy and had the best nights sleep ever. Lots of passengers and crew ( that had recently joined the ship) suffered sea sickness, so if I were you I would take some, start the day before you cruise. I live in the UK and the tablets we take are called Sea-legs. Some people got the injection from the doctor but I think that's quite expensive. We are in a mid ship mini suite, deck 13 and I have been told it should feel the same. Anyhow hopefully we won't have those bad sea days!

I was on mid ship mini suite on the Star. We didn't feel anything. The room is a little bigger that the regular cabin. The pull out couch is in front of balcony. We did have a bathtub which I wouldn't use. The next cruise I want to be in the aft but DH doesn't wantto see where he was but where he is heading (he wants to be in the forward cabins).

Archived