Top 5 things

lovevacadays

I have been to St Maarten a few times. The only tour I remember was going across the bay over to the French side for shopping. OK, but kind of boring really. Personally I enjoy St Maarten because the ships dock right there so you can walk off right into town. The town is very clean and the people are nice. It is like a "Junior St Thomas"

I hear the beaches are nice and especially the beach bars on Orient are great but Ive never been. I've also heard some good things about some of the private (non cruise-line tours).

We're going in March and there are like 6 ships in port that day. Uggh

~Bob~

When we went there, we went to Orient and Maho.

Hands down the excitement of the day was going to Maho and watching the low flying planes come in. They are amazing.

Here's a few pictures I took the day I was there:

1017693338_rJDfu-M.jpg

1017693592_Cr97v-M.jpg

1017693792_heBKs-M.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. Pretty amazing.

To me the quality of the food available at or near the beach is different than any other island that I have visited so eating would be my #1.

Maho beach where the airplanes land is again something unique to the island so that would be my #2.

#3 would be a catamaran excursion

#4 beach hopping

#5 snorkeling out at Creole Rock

:) St. Maarten is our favorite Caribbean island!

#1 .... Orient Beach , very lovely

#2 .... "Golden Eagle Catamaran" ... offered by most cruiselines.

#3 .... Food in restaurants is normally very good.

#4 .... Enjoying some time right at the ship area at bars overlooking the beach.

#5 .... "American's Cup Sailing Regatta" .... great memories of doing this several times when our girls were teens/preteens.

LuLu

My top 5 but you couldn't do it in a day:

1) Lunch at Talk of the Town at the Lolo's in Grand Case.

$5 for a rack of grilled Ribs!

2) Maho Beach to see the planes come and go. Have lunch at Soprano's ($10) or get something from the Maho Market Super market at the round about.

Arrival Schedule: http://www.sxmarrivaltimes.com/arrivaltimes.htm

Departure Schedule: http://www.sxmarrivaltimes.com/departuretimes.htm

3) Yoda Guy in Phillipsburg on Front Street (Nick made the mechanical Yoda used in Empire Strikes Back and he's usually there to talk to you. He's been living there for 6 years now)

4) Literie Farms - The pool or tapas cafe for those that don't want to do anything or the Zip line & Extreme obstacle course for those that want to do something. There is also hiking and a less extreme zip line and obstacle course.

5) Take a ride on the Edge to St Bart's. That is one fun crew and a nice change of pace from St Martin. Rent a car in St Bart's for roughly 40 Euros or a moped for 35 Euros. There will usually be a guy there at the dock to greet you upon arrival or just ask at the information center for a suggestion for a rental place.

Thanks everyone for the latest posts. Could you tell me more about the America's Cup Regatta. Are you actually doing some of the sailing yourself?

ACYR is one of my absolute favorites.

Yes, you work as the crew.

And, you compete against another sailing yacht in a real race on a course around buoys.

Absolute blast.

Thanks everyone for the latest posts. Could you tell me more about the America's Cup Regatta. Are you actually doing some of the sailing yourself?

BTW, we did this race in Cozumel in our June cruise.

I have a bunch of pictures in my Oasis review if you want to take a look.

ACYR is one of my absolute favorites.

Yes, you work as the crew.

And, you compete against another sailing yacht in a real race on a course around buoys.

Absolute blast.

Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate it.

BTW, we did this race in Cozumel in our June cruise.

I have a bunch of pictures in my Oasis review if you want to take a look.

Thank you for being so helpful. I will take a look.

2) Maho Beach to see the planes come and go. Have lunch at Soprano's ($10) or get something from the Maho Market Super market at the round about.

Arrival Schedule: http://www.sxmarrivaltimes.com/arrivaltimes.htm

Departure Schedule: http://www.sxmarrivaltimes.com/departuretimes.htm

Thanks as this sounds and looks to be a definite worth while experience for a second visit.

Karysa...could you tell me a little more about snorkeling at Creole Rock...is it easy beach entry..any currents, I have some inexperienced snorkelers with me. Any other information would be appreciated.

Creole Rock is a short 5 minute boat ride from Grand Case Beach Club. It is a nature preserve so only some tour companies are permitted to take people there. One way that I have gone is from Creole Rock watersports at Petite Plage which is one of the two beaches at the Grand Case Beach Club in Grand Case. They only take 5 snorkelers out at a time and Sebastian is a knowledgeable and careful guide. The water is less than 15 feet I believe. If the water is rough then it would be a tough snorkel for weak swimmers.

Creole Rock is a short 5 minute boat ride from Grand Case Beach Club. It is a nature preserve so only some tour companies are permitted to take people there. One way that I have gone is from Creole Rock watersports at Petite Plage which is one of the two beaches at the Grand Case Beach Club in Grand Case. They only take 5 snorkelers out at a time and Sebastian is a knowledgeable and careful guide. The water is less than 15 feet I believe. If the water is rough then it would be a tough snorkel for weak swimmers.

Thank you..they are good swimmers and we all wear snorkle vests. How long was the excursion and how much. We aren't going until Nov 2013 so I have tons of time:( So do you enter from the beach or boat?

Thank you..they are good swimmers and we all wear snorkle vests. How long was the excursion and how much. We aren't going until Nov 2013 so I have tons of time:( So do you enter from the beach or boat?

3 excursions at 10, 12 and 2. Due to the position of the sun the 2 pm snorkel often does not venture to the other side of the rock.

You enter via boat. We did not touch Creole Rock. There is no beach at Creole Rock.

It's been 2 or 3 years since I went with Creole Rock water sports but $40 and 1hr 45 minutes was the price and amount of time on the excursion. Bring your mouthpiece from your snorkel if you have one as they now charge $5 for them as they were constantly having to replace them. Take a look at there website: http://www.snorkel-trips-sxm.com/

Archived