Balcony or not

Thecat123

Looking at doing a cruise to Antartica which is pricey

Anybody who has done this trip is a balcony worth the extra money?

My thoughts are we wouldn't use it due to the cold temperture and the lounges would be warmer with alround views Maybe be better off using the extra money to fly the 14 hour flight business class?

I understand different views on a subject like this as I have heard enough times that people would rather do more cruises by having an inside cabin But Antartica is different than anywhere else

Looking at doing a cruise to Antartica which is pricey

Anybody who has done this trip is a balcony worth the extra money?

My thoughts are we wouldn't use it due to the cold temperture and the lounges would be warmer with alround views Maybe be better off using the extra money to fly the 14 hour flight business class?

I understand different views on a subject like this as I have heard enough times that people would rather do more cruises by having an inside cabin But Antartica is different than anywhere else

I would only consider doing it in a balcony and nothing else lower. Think about it if you are prepared to spend $15000.00 per person what's another $2000.00 per person for a balcony? You would be spending so much time on your balcony taking in the scenery and sights no doubt.

I would only consider doing it in a balcony and nothing else lower. Think about it if you are prepared to spend $15000.00 per person what's another $2000.00 per person for a balcony? You would be spending so much time on your balcony taking in the scenery and sights no doubt.

I do normally agree with your logic

Our dollar not too good US$15000.00 NZ$18731 Balcony becomes near enough NZ$2500

Every time we have travelled somewhere we have always had a balcony but I just thought for all that extra we could possibly spending more time in a lounge as one would have a better all round view and be warmer:)

I would disagree,I do not think you will get much use from a balcony in that weather,the views would be better and more varied from the deck.Also if the sea got rough as it easily could do a central cabin on deck 4 would be better.:D .

Completely agree, dalliowner. We did the Antarctic years ago - wonderful, but it can be rough and I would go for deck 4. Much better views from on deck or in the Observation Lounge. I think deck 4 may sell quickly?

Another word of caution - no-one who has problems with mobility should go on these cruises; getting in and out of Zodiacs is not that easy, and you would miss out a lot or be a nuisance to others. I do hope Seabourn will stress this.

I would disagree,I do not think you will get much use from a balcony in that weather,the views would be better and more varied from the deck.Also if the sea got rough as it easily could do a central cabin on deck 4 would be better.:D .

I completely disagree with you. We have done Antarctica on the Star Princess 3 times previously (mind you was scenic cruising and no landings) and had a mini-suite and a balcony and I would not be inclined going up on the upper decks unsheltered when the weather changes on a dime.

I think for the price difference which is marginal I would do a V1 from a CAT A1/A. BTW, CAT's A's and A1 are all priced the same on these 4 voyages.

I am glad I asked

I wonder if any other people reply

I think TA has a hold on a balcony for us but he isn't sure how long he can keep the hold

I would really kick myself about not getting a balcony then find out we should have but I can see your point about not having one as well which was my orginal thoughts as well. As we have never done a cruise like this before and not likely going to do it again we are up for all suggestions

Thats a good point about mobility but we are doing trips like this before we get into our walking frames :)

Completely agree, dalliowner. We did the Antarctic years ago - wonderful, but it can be rough and I would go for deck 4. Much better views from on deck or in the Observation Lounge. I think deck 4 may sell quickly?

Another word of caution - no-one who has problems with mobility should go on these cruises; getting in and out of Zodiacs is not that easy, and you would miss out a lot or be a nuisance to others. I do hope Seabourn will stress this.

Yes, Deck 4 cabins right now are selling faster because on average they are $2000.00 per person cheaper than the cheapest balcony a V1 and on the Xmas/New Years cruise for 24 days the price difference is $3000.00 per person. We considered deck 4, but will be using our 250 day free cruise credit on this and we are normally in a balcony always so would be a waste to use it on a CAT A and/or A1.

I agree as well about the mobility issues with anyone. This is not the cruise for you if you have any. I know a lot of people will purposely overlook this because Antarctica is on their bucket list and will insist on going anyways.

I think deck 4 may sell quickly?

I checked up on your hunch and you are right for at least the 24 day Xmas/New Years Antarctica Cruise. CAT A all cabins are taken and they are only selling GTY's and this has been open for only a week to the general public for sales. I knew these cruises would sell like "hot cakes" at whatever price Seabourn wished to charge for them.

Premiumsuite - well, obviously if you are on your freebie you will go for the balcony you are entitled to!!!

I personally would opt for spending the extra on business class flight every time. No doubt the OP will make their mind up studying all the answers; but it might be good to make up your mind fairly soon by the sound of it.

Paid hefty deposit today for 4th Jan 2014 sailing

Balcony won

Wife flying cattle class :)

Congrats on your booking! We will be disembarking that day when you get onboard.

So does that mean DH is in First/Business and Wife in Cattle Class?...Oh boy what a way to start a trip!

Found out today where the ship is actually going from and to where it stops. I thought it started at Uruguay and finished there as well. The travel agent did mention funny names to me but it didn't really mean anything until I saw the trip on Seabournes site. I didn't realise it started at Buenos Aires then heading to the Falklands on the way to Antartica and then going past Glacier Bay etc on the way back ending up at Valparaiso. We even have the correct side of the ship to see all the fjords and sounds without having to leave our balcony. I think I made the right choice by getting the balcony after all

Archived