Why didnt anyone tell me?

kaylaw25

On many (most?) of the ships/lines we've been on, the MDR is also open for lunch when you board - even though those greeting you as you come on point the way to the buffet and never mention the MDR as an option. We usually head there first (we make it a point to be on board in time for lunch when we can) to check out if it is open, and it usually has been. In fact, I don't remember the last time we fought through the Lido crowd on boarding day.

Well, snoop may be too strong but do like to explore. First day on ship will try to wander all over with the map to find all the lounges and rooms. On the Grand Princess, I found a GREAT little sports bar by the theatre. Wonderful look to the place but the smoking policy was such you could smoke in there and everybody was. I never went back!

Look around and for goodness sakes just assume you are entitled to anything on the ship. If you overstep, the staff will point it out. (Or more likely ask for your ship card which means it has a cost. At that point, ask before just passing the card. It may be more than you are expecting.)

Yes, and we liked the choices available for breakfast in the MDR. Never saw any smoked salmon or eggs Benedict in the buffet, but we had them in the MDR. Yummmm!

Depends on the line, HAL serves those on the breakfast buffet. Carnival has smoked salmon at the deli from 11a-11p and thru room service.

Read the ship's paper. Usually there are two parts: the main part with tons of verbage and schedules and ads, and a thin column that can be torn off. Both parts should have meal info (where and when).

Dinner is usually the best MDR meal for me. I tried lunch once on the Ecstasy in the MDR and was disappointed. So I don't think you missed that much. Breakfast in the MDR is a nice treat, but again I don't think the food is any better than the buffet. However, if you ever are on RCI (Royal Caribbean), try the Tutti Salad bar for lunch in the MDR (sea days only). Yum.

I honestly can't remember if we knew about breakfast/lunch in the MDR on our first cruise or not. I'm thinking we probably did, and may have eaten there once on that cruise, but that was so long ago.

I like the MDR for breakfast, whereas my wife prefers the Lido. If you want a basic meat/egg/potato breakfast, the Lido is better. If you're looking for eggs benedict or something else, you need to go to the MDR. Either way, they'd both get rather boring if that's the only place you go. I like the variety of eating at both places.

I went on my first cruise (carnival ecstasy) last year & ate breakfast and lunch at the lido deck EVERYDAY. I thought the MDR only served dinner. Am I the only person that didn't know the MDR served breakfast & lunch?! I found out only a few weeks ago through message boards that breakfast & lunch was served there too with many other food selections. I didn't cruise for the food however I got tired of omelettes and hamburgers everyday very quickly! I'm very excited to try breakfast/brunch on my next cruise next week on the Fascination.

im so glad you read about your food options for future cruises. but, i can make you feel better. on our family cruise my brother talked too a lady on the elevator. she was shocked and upset when he said he was on his way too the mdr for dinner, and the breakfast was great also. she had been paying for the specialty eating all week not knowing it was available for free. i felt sorry for her , but did she not read the daily newsletter or talk too anyone about cruising before she went ?? so, you did better than she did. :)

Yes, well, there is a reason why they leave those daily sheets in the your cabin at night. Last thing I do before turning in is read through the next day's activities.

Carnival's FunTimes even has a nice, little tear-off sheet that has activities on one side and is FULL of food/drink info on the other side.

Here's one from a cruise a couple of years ago on Fantasy (sister ship of Ecstasy) on a sea day - when the MDR is open for all three meals - doubt anything much has changed...

2654268750102755439S600x600Q85.jpg

It isn't terribly legible, but seriously? How can you miss this for an entire cruise? :confused:

I personally prefer the buffet for both breakfast and lunch. I have a made-to-order omelet every morning. It's always better than what I get in the MDR. If I want smoked salmon (not available at the buffet), I put out the card the night before and have some delivered in the morning. THEN I go have my omelet! :p

I prefer the deli sandwiches for lunch. And then I have a hot dog and fries mid-afternoon. Then I have sushi as a pre-appetizer to hold me over until late dining. Then I have frozen yogurt and decaf before bed.

I take the stairs the entire cruise and rarely gain any weight. But I don't eat the chocolate melting cake, either!

No you're not!! I didn't know this either on our first cruise. Now I do :D

And I thought we only chatted on the Alaskan Cruise chat rooms?!

On my first cruise we had breakfast in the MDR a couple of times. Never had lunch there though.

On our last RCCL cruise the wait staff would tell us what was being served for breakfast the next day. Maybe the others did too, but I just don't remember.

On our next cruise we are going with MIL and FIL, and FIL is in a wheelchair. I told MIL they may want to try out breakfast in the MDR. That way she doesn't have to carry FIL's tray. Although, I'm pretty sure some staff member would/will help her with that in the Windjammer cafe on RCCL.

MDR has some better options and more service, but buffet is okay too, and a little more relaxed. I understand about portion control. It was tough passing up a tray of bacon in the Windjammer and not hoisting most of it onto my plate.

Sometimes in the buffet you'll see your asst waiter too!

Yes, and we liked the choices available for breakfast in the MDR. Never saw any smoked salmon or eggs Benedict in the buffet, but we had them in the MDR. Yummmm!

You didn't sail Holland America, did you? They had eight different types of eggs Benedict at the morning buffet. Eight! On a seven day cruise, I actually had to leave one out.

My breakfast routine started early with the earliest room service breakfast. Nothing better than eating and having coffee while dressing and putting on makeup. Next, came second breakfast at the MDR, so elegant and pampering I felt like I was at the country club. After a quick mile around the Promanade deck then third and final breakfast on the Lido where the aforementioned Benidicts awaited.

After all that eating I would be ready for a nap, before the pre-lunch snack.:)

I went on my first cruise (carnival ecstasy) last year & ate breakfast and lunch at the lido deck EVERYDAY. I thought the MDR only served dinner. Am I the only person that didn't know the MDR served breakfast & lunch?! I found out only a few weeks ago through message boards that breakfast & lunch was served there too with many other food selections. I didn't cruise for the food however I got tired of omelettes and hamburgers everyday very quickly! I'm very excited to try breakfast/brunch on my next cruise next week on the Fascination.

Well, right now you are on your second cruise so I hope you come back and let us know how it went.

On my first cruise I didn't realize the MDR served breakfast. Always ate in at the buffet . I did know it served lunch but never went. The one thing that I wish I had known back then was free room service food. l just assumed it costed extra. I didn't realize it till after I came here to CC. My next cruise is in 6 months and I will be able to enjoy coffee and a light breakfast on my balcony in the morning. Life is Good!!! :D

We actually found that we ate way too much if we ate all 3 meals in the MDR. Though I love the MDR (on Holland America), we soon learned we needed to stay at the Lido until dinner time: breakfast was granola / yogurt/ fruit/ ....and simple (controlled fat) salads or sandwiches for lunch. Otherwise, we just could not resist the menus in the MDR, and our choices leapt off the cholesterol/fat scale.

But I know there are others who are undone by the load of choices in the buffet.....

We all have to do what works for us. Isn't it lovely that we have the choice?

Barb in so cal ("feathers")

Archived