BREAKAWAY or Cruise Cheaper??

cruisebear84

hi everyone!

so i booked my very first cruise on a whim-- my assigned PCC was kind of pushy and called several times over a few months (i adore him anyway!). i was glad he did, because i wouldnt have booked it without convincing (and the dash sale), and ive wanted to try a cruise for a few years and just never had the right push! im set for the NCL BREAKAWAY at the end of august with my DBF.

like i said, it was spontaneous, so i did no research or checked around for other comparable cruises. now that i am, i see that the breakaway is pretty ridiculously expensive. i don't make much money, and although i've set aside a budget and am confident i can afford it (especially with a year of saving ahead of us), im wondering, am i crazy for doing so? is the brand-new ship smell worth it, or should i try a simpler, less expensive cruise for my first go?

just looking for opinions. my bf is already psyched about the five waterslides, but i dont want to nickel and dime my life for a year when i don't really have to! thanks for making me feel so welcome so far on Cruise Critic :) :)

that's a tough one. After booking our breakaway cruise ( knowing it would be more expensive than others ) I looked around just for fun. I could have an owners suite or the equivelant on other ship for the same price as what we are getting our Balcony cabin for. But the draw for us was we have never been to Bermuda or on a brand new ship so we've decided with all the time to save we'll give it a go. Obviously no one can tell you what you should do but it's really about do you like the destination and will you enjoy the ship getting there? If you can handle the price then go for it. If a different itinerary seems more exciting to you than go for that. Just remember to factor in airfare if you would need to fly to another port and if you don't have to fly to NY. That could eat up your savings quickly.

That same issue came up for our group. Looking to sail next August I kinda had my heart set on Bermuda and of course the new ship seemed like something exciting to see. However for a few of the people who wanted to come the price increase would put them over their budget or they would have to take a much less nice room in order to make the trip. So we all decided we would rather take the Gem and the Bahamas itinerary in order to save some pretty significant bucks. Now everyone is going and I think we are all happy with the choice.

You will of course have to decide what is best for you but if you have not been cruising frequently (much like me) then I would think the Gem would be great.

I sailed on the Gem this past July and everyone had a great time. I wasn't crazy about the itinerary but the convenience of avoiding taking an airplane was important (we were of group of ten which included elderly grandparents).

I was surprised the Breakaway is priced so high. I sailed on the Epic when it was only a few months old and had 2 aft balcony connecting cabins for our family of four. Breakaway is costing me $2,000 more for a forward balcony and an inside.

Just have to keep telling myself it's a new ship and it's going to Bermuda...

thanks for the feedback everyone. breakaway is docked at NYC, where i'm from, all year long, so that was part of the allure. i wouldn't even have to take a cab if i don't want to, just catch a ride or ride the subway. definitely not excited about flying or taking a bus to another port.

the dates were also important, since my vacations traditionally fall during august. the sail i have is the cheapest one before labor day; i work with an education organization, so i really don't want to vacation after the start of the school year. won't the water be cold then as well?

i am glad i am not the only one who thinks the breakaway is very expensive; i thought maybe that was my inexperience talking! i really want to cruise with NCL-- freestyle dining is definitely sounds like my kind of thing-- but maybe i will check into other cruise lines. or what are the odds of the price dropping before my final payment is due?

thanks again, all! im so grateful to have this sounding board!

This is certainly a hard call. I honestly think you would have a great time on any cruise. They're just so darned unique and fun compared to other vacations you might have experienced in the past. However, I think the Breakaway is going to be simply outstanding. We took our first NCL cruise on the Epic and were blown away We had such an awesome time, and it was well worth the extra that it cost us to get on the newest ship. If you can afford it, I suggest you stick with it and watch prices. However, if it will create a year of hardship, by all means switch. No sense in suffering for a year for one week on a ship that might be 25% more fun than a cheaper one. But if you can afford it, why not go with the best that NCL has to offer. Who knows if you'll ever get to cruise again.

Having re-read what I typed, I realize I'm absolutely no help whatsoever. :)

I was one of those that jumped at the chance to book the Epic when she was still being built. We had the time of our lives. She still remains my favorite ship ever. She is just so unique compared to the other ships. However, I received one heck of a deal at the time (booked 2 rooms actually and still saved $$).

I was determined to book the Breakaway when she came out and was so excited...then I got a glimpse at the prices. :eek: I have contemplated for months now what to do. Then I decided I'd still go to Bermuda (because I have never been and had actually been putting it off waiting on the Breakaway to come out next year and that dream was shattered) and I still plan on going next year. However, it just makes more sense for "us" to go on the Dawn instead. It's a LOT cheaper and it will allow us to cruise twice again next year instead of once (if we booked the Breakaway).

Some day I'll get on the Breakaway! :D The prices will just have to come down before we do. :(

No matter what you do, have a blast. A cruise is so much fun no matter what ship you go on. I wouldn't complain (meaning myself) because it's time spent with my family and not at work or school. :p

We are doing Epic in Nov its our first time with NCL. After hearing about Breakaway I thought MMMMMmmm that looks awesome. Then I saw the prices and thought, Nope. Glad I am not the only one who thinks she is way over priced. Hopeing in a few years she will come down in price.

OP I am sure she will be amazing. Will she be worth it? yes but would other ships also be worth it? yes. I do think you should do some more research on other cruises and make sure you value what you are paying for Bermuda, slides, new ship.....not sure what else

She is not the only ship going out of NYC right? Since we always have to fly into a port that is never a factor for us, no cruise ships out of Ohio :-) Having a port at your doorstep would be awsome added value would be seeing her and remembering your fantastic vacation.

We are doing the Breakaway for Thanksgiving 2013. We booked an inside because I couldn't justify the extra $1k price for a balcony. I don't mind the ports of call (they are all new to me), I just wanted to try a new ship and the best part is I DON'T HAVE TO BUY AIRFARE!!!

My price for the inside is not bad at all, maybe it depends on when you booked? We booked soon after bookings opened up but I do see that our price went up $150 per person since then. I even have $100 OBC already from the HSN deal. Also, I'm booked and paid for a cabana on GSC!

I'm guessing as more people become aware of the new year-round ship out of NYC, the prices will only go up.

We also love the convenience of cruising from NYC. We couldn't resist the lure of the Breakaway and booked a suite for next summer. It really was quite a shock how expensive it is, but we would like to try it at least once. We've not been to Bermuda yet either.

However, you have other choices through NCL that leave from NYC. The Gem does the Bahamas/Port Canaveral. Your DBF could still have his water slides if you opt for the excursion to Atlantis in the Bahamas (there are also 2 slides on the Gem, but they are lame). The Gem would run much cheaper, but you are getting the Bahamas, not Bermuda.

That said, we loved the Gem and we cannot wait to board the Breakaway. But I know I could have had 2 cruises in a suite on the Gem for what we paid for the one on the Breakaway. It just comes down to personal preference. Whichever you choose, you are in for some fun! Enjoy your trip!

~Michele:)

If you've already booked the Breakaway, I'd stick with it. I really want to try it, but keep holding back because of comparable cost. Go ahead and enjoy the new ship and all the cool things to do! The entertainment and spaces look better than most of the other NCL fleet, so you won't regret that.

I have Breakaway booked myself, and was shocked when I did a little research and found that what I paid for my sailing in my category room is actually cheaper than a comparable RCCL cruise the same week to Bermuda! Insane! So yeah, I'm not swapping.

Watch prices like a hawk. If something drops, call up your PCC and get your price lowered. You might even look at switching to a less expensive sailing if you can make that work instead. It ultimately comes down to what's more important to you, but for me, I'm getting lots of bang for my buck with Breakaway, so I can't wait to sail.

your feedback has been incredibly helpful, everyone!

i think this wkend (when we're not tired from working all day!), we will have a long conversation and discuss the inherent value. im glad to see everyone feels that i wont feel like i wasted my money, since the ship is going to be AWESOME. it's going to come down to prioritizing-- i'd like to go to bermuda, but i've never been to the bahamas either. both itineraries would be fun and new. we were also talking about inviting another couple, who almost certainly couldnt afford this cruise, so that might affect what it comes down the final decision.

im going to hold off any major decisions until we really talk it out. its all thanks to you guys; i was going to call my PCC today to cancel it (spontaneous again!), but then i decided i'd post this thread first and feel it out! truly appreciate it!

have fun on all your cruises.. i hope i get to try one really soon!!

I have Breakaway booked myself, and was shocked when I did a little research and found that what I paid for my sailing in my category room is actually cheaper than a comparable RCCL cruise the same week to Bermuda! Insane! So yeah, I'm not swapping.

i didnt know about that! feeling better already!

Archived