What is considered a Butler No-No?

NYGirl1002

If say I ordered lunch or dinner from the Blue Lagoon. If we have soda cards will he bring us soda? Or do we need to get it ourselves?

What about wine? If I have a bottle stored in the dining room will he bring it to us? If not and I want to order a glass of wine, can he bring it?

What about iced tea or lemonade? Can he bring us a pitcher?

Thanks for your replies

No on the soda cards, if you want the soda you have to go get it. It takes your room key to get your "free" soda. The rest of the thing are ok.

This is wrong.

The wine (or assistant) waiter will bring you soda if you show him your card with the sticker on it.

One cruise I was on (RCCL, actually), the assistant waiter brought a fresh soda as soon as I sat down or got halfway down the one I was drinking - and even made sure each fresh one had a new slice of lemon in it!!

(Sorry, I misread the question, but a Butler will most certainly fulfill your request).

Your butler is there to please you. Your examples are not even a "stretch" for them compared to what some people request. I also doubt that a butler needs a room key to get a soda. Show him your key and he will get you any soda you want. Even if you want 2 dinners from separate restaurant menu's, it's not a problem.

They do hope to be rewarded accordingly for their efforts.

Tip your butler at the beginning (we did $20) and tell him you want cans of soda in your cabin at all times. He may be able to meet your request at no charge. We did this on the Jade a couple years ago and always had tonic water, Pepsi, and bottled water and were never charged for it. One of the many "secret" suite perks. I assume the butlers have a stash of soda, water, etc. that they can distribute at their discretion. A tip at the beginning can go a long way.

You can take the cordless phone from your cabin on shore with you and as you approach the ship call the butler and order fresh ice. Likely as not it will be in your cabin by the time you get checked in and get there. Presumably you could also request beverages this way. Be sure to also tip at the end based on how much you use your butler. We did $150 for a 10 day with a couple daily requests above and beyond what he did automatically. Butlers and concierges are not included in the $12 DSC.

Butler No-No = Requesting your butler feed you grapes, and cool you off by waving palm fronds.

The rest should be just fine, but tip accordingly. I'm not sure what the rules are for sodas, whether they require your card or not, but I'm sure the butler can help you arrange something satisfactory, whether it be stocking your room with a couple cans of soda, or bringing you a soda with lunch. I'm sure if you ask him/her what the easiest way to arrange it is, they will provide you with some accommodation.

Tip your butler at the beginning (we did $20) and tell him you want cans of soda in your cabin at all times. He may be able to meet your request at no charge. We did this on the Jade a couple years ago and always had tonic water, Pepsi, and bottled water and were never charged for it. One of the many "secret" suite perks. I assume the butlers have a stash of soda, water, etc. that they can distribute at their discretion. A tip at the beginning can go a long way.

You can take the cordless phone from your cabin on shore with you and as you approach the ship call the butler and order fresh ice. Likely as not it will be in your cabin by the time you get checked in and get there. Presumably you could also request beverages this way. Be sure to also tip at the end based on how much you use your butler. We did $150 for a 10 day with a couple daily requests above and beyond what he did automatically. Butlers and concierges are not included in the $12 DSC.

Personally I would never tip a Butler or Concierge until the end of the cruise. I know some people tip them ahead of time, but I always received superior service no matter what or when I asked for something and I tipped at the end.

Your butler is there to please you. Your examples are not even a "stretch" for them compared to what some people request. I also doubt that a butler needs a room key to get a soda. Show him your key and he will get you any soda you want. Even if you want 2 dinners from separate restaurant menu's, it's not a problem.

They do hope to be rewarded accordingly for their efforts.

If you have butler and concierge, tell your butler that you would like your fridge stocked with soda (your choice) once or twice a day. They will stock it with what you want (have them empty the fridge first) as often as you like. If you would like a pitcher of ice tea and you know you would like it at a certain time every day, tell them and they can make sure it is there. Or tell them in the morning about what time you will be back and ask for it to be placed in your suite.

When my husband wanted a glass of wine or a cocktail, he would simply tell the butler and they would get it for him.

The butlers are there to please you and to help make your cruise better.

I'm not sure you would need a soda card as one of the perks of being a suite guest is free soda's (in your room). We made it through the whole cruise without buying drinks while out and only had them when were back in our room.

I know that is true in an Owners Suite, but is that true for all suite categories?

I'm not sure you would need a soda card as one of the perks of being a suite guest is free soda's (in your room). We made it through the whole cruise without buying drinks while out and only had them when were back in our room.

That depends on what category suite you are in, only owners suites and garden villas include soda

I'm in an aft penthouse. I am aware soda is not free. I am going to buy soda cards for myself and my daughter.

I just don't want to commit a faux pas when dealing with the butler as I've never cruised in a suite before.

Is there anything that you cannot ask for?

I'm in an aft penthouse. I am aware soda is not free. I am going to buy soda cards for myself and my daughter.

I just don't want to commit a faux pas when dealing with the butler as I've never cruised in a suite before.

Well there are LOTS of things you won't get if you ask: "Can I be the queen of the planet?" "Bring me a pot of gold!" "Can I stay here forever?" What's the point of that kind of list? :rolleyes:

You should always feel comfortable politely making any reasonable request and your butler will do everything in his/her power to make you happy.

Have a great cruise!

Well there are LOTS of things you won't get if you ask: "Can I be the queen of the planet?" "Bring me a pot of gold!" "Can I stay here forever?" What's the point of that kind of list? :rolleyes:

You should always feel comfortable politely making any reasonable request and your butler will do everything in his/her power to make you happy.

Have a great cruise!

Note as well that you need to allow time for these things to happen, if you're really thirsty for that soda, it might be faster to get it yourself. If you can wait, I'm sure your butler will be happy to do it for you.

I have never asked for more than room service breakfast from my butler, and I bet there are lots of others that do the same. The amount you use your butler is a personal thing, just make sure you remember to tip them :)

The soda card is only valid for draft soda. I would not be surprised to see your buter bring cans as it is easier for them then running back and forth with single glasses of soda. The soda card should work out great for you 2.

Just to reply to the posters who feel the need to tell me to make sure I tip the butler.

This is my 5th cruise and I do know a thing or 2 about tipping. I always auto tip and I also give my steward/wait staff/bartenders extra cash.

I am very aware that I need to tip the butler/concierge because they are not included in the auto tips.

I know OP said they're booked in an aft penthouse, but my husband and learned one thing butlers will not do for pax who are in Haven category suites:

They will, of course, take orders for dinner (specialty or otherwise; even split, if you wish) to bring to you in your stateroom, but they won't bring it to you in the Haven courtyard for you to eat there, at one of the tables. They will only serve you in your suite.

We accepted this, but we didn't really understand why it was so. The Haven was mere steps from our suite, and we weren't thinking of having the butler serve each course; we expected to get the entire dinner at once, as usual.

But the butler said it "wasn't allowed," and we accepted that.

--Sona

I know OP said they're booked in an aft penthouse, but my husband and learned one thing butlers will not do for pax who are in Haven category suites:

They will, of course, take orders for dinner (specialty or otherwise; even split, if you wish) to bring to you in your stateroom, but they won't bring it to you in the Haven courtyard for you to eat there, at one of the tables. They will only serve you in your suite.

We accepted this, but we didn't really understand why it was so. The Haven was mere steps from our suite, and we weren't thinking of having the butler serve each course; we expected to get the entire dinner at once, as usual.

But the butler said it "wasn't allowed," and we accepted that.

--Sona

Not sure what ship you were on but when DH and I cruised in 2009 and 2010 our butler was more than happy to serve us any meal in the Haven area if we asked. She was quite pleasant and more than happy to help out any way she could. We were on the Pearl and had a suite in the Haven both times.

The butler gave me strange looks when I asked him to trim my toenails, finish that tricky crossword puzzle for me, and kill that noisy couple in the next room.

Guess some of that should have fallen to the concierge?

:p

I'm not sure you would need a soda card as one of the perks of being a suite guest is free soda's (in your room). We made it through the whole cruise without buying drinks while out and only had them when we were back in our room.

Only in Villa's and Owners Suites.

Archived