FCO > Rome > Florence Train Scheduling

drb

Good Morning folks. I have a scheduling question I need help with. We are fling into Rome (FCO) a few days before our cruise and will be staying at a B&B

in Florence and then taking trains down to Civitavechia to depart.

Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 8:30 am. Our plan is to take the Leonardo Express train from the airport to Termini Station and then take an express train to Florence.

The Leonardo express train runs every 30 minutes and takes about an hour. Trains from Termini to Florence run about every hour or so. Here is my quandary. I really like

to have things planned ( and when possible paid for) in advance. It appears the Leonardo Express train tickets can only be reserved within 7 days of departure. Does it make any

sense to purchase a ticket for the Termini to Florence leg at this time? How much time should we allocate at the airport prior to boarding the train to Rome?

If we had decent public transportation in this country I would have more experience :) Thanks in advance for your input. Doug

While I do purchase train tickets in advance in other situations, I never do it on arrival day because there are too many uncontrollable variables. You're better off to wait and pay full price on the day of, so you eliminate the stress of possibly missing a pre-paid train, for which there is generally no option for refunds.

You can buy your tickets all the way to Florence at the airport train station, so there's no need to stand in line twice.

Another suggestion: if you are going through Termini both on your way to Florence and from there to Civitavecchia, you might consider leaving your larger luggage at the left luggage office at Termini and only taking a carry on size suitcase with you to Florence. If you choose to do this, be sure to allow time between your trains to leave and then pick up your things.

I agree with eurocruiser -- while it is tempting sometimes to pre-arrange everything, there are times when it is worth it to wait until you arrive. If you couldn't make the train you purchased tickets for, you're generally out of luck and will get no refund or credit. There's no benefit to purchasing the Leonardo Express tickets in advance.

The one time I'd consider buying tickets in advance for the Rome to Florence portion is IF there is an outstanding mini-fare available (for example, they had some terrific fares earlier this year; I think I paid 19 euro from Rome to Naples). And IF you are not in a rush to get to your ultimate destination -- because I would leave a longish pause from the time your plane lands to the time of your Florence-bound train.

I plan on it taking an hour just getting through FCO, collecting luggage etc.

Another hour to get to the FCO train (in itself a 30-minute ride) and arrive at FCO. It may be quicker, but you may also have just missed the last train and have to wait nearly a half hour....

So the absolute minimum time I'd consider for an onward train is about 2.5 hours after scheduled arrival (and I'd be more likely to make that 3 hours.....)

Another suggestion: if you are going through Termini both on your way to Florence and from there to Civitavecchia, you might consider leaving your larger luggage at the left luggage office at Termini and only taking a carry on size suitcase with you to Florence. If you choose to do this, be sure to allow time between your trains to leave and then pick up your things.

This had occurred to us but we had not really investigated it. Do you have any guidance as to how much time to allow might be adequate? Not schlepping all our cruise luggage to Florence is a mighty attractive proposition.

Thanks as well for your other hints, And thanks to you too Cynthia.

Here is the information on the left luggage office, including location in the station, hours of operation, and fees. http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=5dc9fb73699fb110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

I would allow at least 30 minutes for dropping off luggage, and an hour for picking it up. It's never taken that long for me but you never know.

I agree with Cruisemom's advice about purchasing your Florence to Civitavecchia tickets in advance. That portion is in your control, so go ahead and take advantage of any discounted fares you can.

I agree with Cruisemom's advice about purchasing your Florence to Civitavecchia tickets in advance. That portion is in your control, so go ahead and take advantage of any discounted fares you can.

Done :) 56 Euro fro the two of us from Florence to Civitavecchia with an hour and a half allocated at Termini to pick up our luggage and get into trouble. Thanks for all your help.

There is a train station right in the airport. Purchase your Leonardo tickets AND tickets to Florence at the same time. They will not sell you a ticket that entails too tight a transfer. The ticket line at the airport is much shorter than that at the Termini in Rome.

• 2 weeks later...
Done :) 56 Euro fro the two of us from Florence to Civitavecchia with an hour and a half allocated at Termini to pick up our luggage and get into trouble. Thanks for all your help.

Please inform me how did you buy the tickets from Florence to Civitavecchia. Does the train have to go through Rome? I've try Eurotrain website, there is nothing from Florence to Civitavecchia at all! We plan to leave Florence the same day to board the ship, will that be any problem? Thanks!

Please inform me how did you buy the tickets from Florence to Civitavecchia. Does the train have to go through Rome? I've try Eurotrain website, there is nothing from Florence to Civitavecchia at all! We plan to leave Florence the same day to board the ship, will that be any problem? Thanks!

As I said on the other thread, one of your problems is that you are trying to use a third party web site. Go to the source, www.trenitalia.com.

There is no direct train from Florence to Civitavecchia. Most routes require a change at Rome Termini, but there is an option to route through Pisa Centrale. This option takes longer, because the train from Florence to Pisa is a slow, regional train.

As I said on the other thread, one of your problems is that you are trying to use a third party web site. Go to the source, www.trenitalia.com.

There is no direct train from Florence to Civitavecchia. Most routes require a change at Rome Termini, but there is an option to route through Pisa Centrale. This option takes longer, because the train from Florence to Pisa is a slow, regional train.

Thanks euro cruiser! Our trip will be in May, thus I'll do the purchase later! One more question about arriving train station at Civitavecchia. How far is it to the port? We have big luggages to haul. Last time we had taxi took us from Rome hotel near Temini to the port, and cost us 100 Euro 2 years ago. Thanks again!!

It's only a half mile from the train station to the entrance of the port, but if you have large luggage that can feel like ten miles. You can get a cab, but expect to pay what seems like a ridiculous amount to travel a half mile or so (around 10 Euro, I would imagine). On the plus side, a cab will be able to drive right up to the tent where they are accepting luggage, so it might be the best 10 Euro you spend on the entire trip!

Archived