Can we go to Florence in 1 day post cruise?

suzzek

We will be in Rome for 3 days precruise so we would like to go to Florence post cruise. We will be off the ship very early in the morning so we are wondering how and if we can go to Florence for the day and yet get back to a hotel that is convienient to the airport the next day. What would we do w/our luggage if we go to Florence. I am trying to get the proximities in perspective, but right now it seems simpler to just post the question on this forum. I hope you can help!:confused:

You could, but it will be a long day.

You'd take the train from Civitavecchia to Roma Termini, where you'd check your luggage at the left luggage office before boarding a train to Florence. On the way back you'd pick up your luggage before heading to your hotel for the night.

Let's say you are off the ship in time to catch the 8:02 train, which arrives at Termini at 9:23. You'd need to allow about a half hour to check your luggage, so the earliest train you could get to Florence would be either the 9:45 (arrives 11:17) or the 10:15 (arrives 11:45).

The left luggage office at Termini closes at midnight (hours and prices here: http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=5dc9fb73699fb110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD), but the last train to the airport leaves at 10:52 (if you are heading to an airport hotel).

If your only constraint is picking up your luggage, the last train you could take back would be at 9:48, arriving at 11:19. There is one later train but I think it would be cutting it too close.

Therefore, you could enjoy at least ten hours in Florence, which is a lot more than you'd get on a port day visit.

You could, but it will be a long day.

You'd take the train from Civitavecchia to Roma Termini, where you'd check your luggage at the left luggage office before boarding a train to Florence. On the way back you'd pick up your luggage before heading to your hotel for the night.

Let's say you are off the ship in time to catch the 8:02 train, which arrives at Termini at 9:23. You'd need to allow about a half hour to check your luggage, so the earliest train you could get to Florence would be either the 9:45 (arrives 11:17) or the 10:15 (arrives 11:45).

The left luggage office at Termini closes at midnight (hours and prices here: http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=5dc9fb73699fb110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD), but the last train to the airport leaves at 10:52 (if you are heading to an airport hotel).

If your only constraint is picking up your luggage, the last train you could take back would be at 9:48, arriving at 11:19. There is one later train but I think it would be cutting it too close.

Therefore, you could enjoy at least ten hours in Florence, which is a lot more than you'd get on a port day visit.

Thank you much for this great info! I know I could have a great daaaay of it b/c I'm sort of like the Everready Bunny, who just keeps on going, but hubby? Not so much. I will weigh my options and think about what's best for hubby, me and doggies left at home.:D Do you think it would be better to stay in Rome for the night, or somewhere close to the airport, given the fact that we would want to maximize our time in Florence? We could catch a 9:00 a.m flight back home. I'm thinking it is about 1/2 hour to the airport from Rome , but I just don't know what part of Rome we should find a hotel to simplify price/distance. Thanks for your helpful advise!!

I would stay in Rome. It's easy enough to get to the airport the next morning, either by cab (fixed fare of 48 Euros) or train (28 Euros for two people).

If your husband is okay being left alone to rest, there are several places I could suggest. You could leave him at a wine bar with a book, or at a coffee bar. There is seating at the Mercato Centrale, which is an interesting place to visit. Or he could sit in the pews at one of a dozen churches while you keep chugging along.

If the weather is nice, he could sit in one of the parks along with the local gentlemen.

I would stay in Rome. It's easy enough to get to the airport the next morning, either by cab (fixed fare of 48 Euros) or train (28 Euros for two people).

If your husband is okay being left alone to rest, there are several places I could suggest. You could leave him at a wine bar with a book, or at a coffee bar. There is seating at the Mercato Centrale, which is an interesting place to visit. Or he could sit in the pews at one of a dozen churches while you keep chugging along.

If the weather is nice, he could sit in one of the parks along with the local gentlemen.

Great! Thank you, Rome it is. LOL about leaving hubby behind...I'm not sure if he'd appreciate that. I could just strap him to a skateboard and pull him along.:D I am so happy to get your advice, it has taken a big ???burden off my shoulders!

Have you already made your air reservations? If not, consider spending the night in Florence. I think you will enjoy it more if you don't have to worry about getting back to Rome to get your luggage and check into a hotel. If you can get a late flight out of Rome the next day you could take the train from Florence to FCO.

I thought the same thing, but fly out of Pisa. FLO is a small airport and you would most likely have to do a connection somewhere in Europe (I did mine FLO-CDG-IAD-SLC). But, Pisa does have nonstop seasonal service to the US on Delta so you could do your connecting flight in the US. Look at an "open jaw" routing ticket - into FCO and out of FLO or PSA. Sometimes they aren't any more expensive than the basic roundtrip.

Another possibility would be to take one of your 3 pre-cruise days to go to Florence as it would reduce the stress of arrivals/departures.

Then spend your post-cruise day back in Roma. Just a thought.

Another possibility would be to take one of your 3 pre-cruise days to go to Florence as it would reduce the stress of arrivals/departures.

Then spend your post-cruise day back in Roma. Just a thought.

I'm thinking about that, Doug and I am doing all kinds of reading so I can try to make a good decision. So much depends upon...hmmmm can we find a RIL tour w/others (don't want to absorb the entire cost alone) how much will we be feeling jet-lag that first day ( we arrive in Rome @ 7: a.m.) and if we try to do Rome on just the RIL tour, are there very many attractions that we will feel cheated on, as in better get back and see it again? I see that RIL has a pre/postcruise option, but it includes the price of several different hotels and I have already booked our hotel precruise. I'm waiting for their response to my email about options. I always welcome input from my fellow cruisers!:)

Archived