Things for a "foodie" to do/try in Halifax, PEI and Quebec?

Bethwte

I am going on a Canada/New England cruise in about an month, and would love to get in some regional food experiences along with the normal touristy stuff. Here is my itinerary, please bear in mind this will be October, so seasonal things may be closed:

• Portland, Maine 7 am - 3 pm (I know this isn't in Canada, but I'll throw it in there anyway). I have read about a place called Duckfat that sounds great, but what about other suggestions?
  • Halifax 9 am - 6 pm
  • Charlottetown, PEI 8 am - 5 pm - The ship offers a culinary tour here (I looked into a non-ship one, but it seems to be summer only) and I have read there is a culinary institute.
  • Gaspesie, Quebec 8 am - 4 pm
  • La Baie, Quebec 11 am - 7 pm
  • Quebec City (will be staying here a few days post-cruise)

I have no food allergies or aversions. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I am also a Foodie and live nr Halifax so will only comment on it.

There is a Food tasting Tour.

http://localtastingtours.com/

Depending how late in the season it is The NS Wine Festival is on until October 14th with many events combining local food and wine. If your visit is later you could take a tour of some of the wineries that have fabulous restaurants as well.

www.grandprewines.ns.ca/

and

www.luckettvineyards.com/

If you happen to be in Halifax on a Saturday the Halifax Farmers Markets

one at the Seaport next door to Pier and the other in Keiths Brewery a couple blocks walk are a myriad of local food particularly at this time of year with local farmers stalls brimming over with fresh produce.

Hope this gives you some ideas and you have great visit. if their is a particular item of interest please come back and let us know.

In Quebec City, poutine from Ashton. Maybe some tortiere de Lac St-Jean in that region. Then come down to see the nice people in Montreal and we can fill a week for a foodie and still leave enough for you to have to come back for at least two more.

I am going on a Canada/New England cruise in about an month, and would love to get in some regional food experiences along with the normal touristy stuff. Here is my itinerary, please bear in mind this will be October, so seasonal things may be closed:

• Portland, Maine 7 am - 3 pm (I know this isn't in Canada, but I'll throw it in there anyway). I have read about a place called Duckfat that sounds great, but what about other suggestions?
  • Halifax 9 am - 6 pm
  • Charlottetown, PEI 8 am - 5 pm - The ship offers a culinary tour here (I looked into a non-ship one, but it seems to be summer only) and I have read there is a culinary institute.
  • Gaspesie, Quebec 8 am - 4 pm
  • La Baie, Quebec 11 am - 7 pm
  • Quebec City (will be staying here a few days post-cruise)

I have no food allergies or aversions. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Please check out two culinary tours in Portland. We had a blast on the walking tour. There were only about 8 of us and the guide took us to a fish market, for woopie pies, beer tasting, and gave us such a wonderfull personal tour about history too. They also have a trolley tour too, but we didn't do that.

google foodie tours portalnd Maine and it should pop up. It starts at a cooking shop right by the port. I tried to post the link but this site wouldn't let me :( It was a great deal and all of us enjoyed it. I don't even really like to cook!

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions.

Lulu51 - Unfortunately I will be there after the food tour season ends for the company you posted, and after the festival. I also won't be there on a Saturday. I will definitely look into the wineries though.

3rdGenCunarder - Are those anything like Elephant Ears that they used to have at fairs? That brings back a lot of memories.

CMM - Thank you! That tour is still running while I will be in port. It looks great.

Emphraim - The airfare to Montreal is actually fairly decent from where I live, so perhaps I will do a shorter trip there all on its own at some point. I will keep you in mind for when I do :)

Arusha - Ah, too late for the Halifax food tour, and too early for the Portland festival. Doesn't it figure.

Lulu51 - Unfortunately I will be there after the food tour season ends for the company you posted, and after the festival. I also won't be there on a Saturday. I will definitely look into the wineries though.

3rdGenCunarder - Are those anything like Elephant Ears that they used to have at fairs? That brings back a lot of memories.

CMM - Thank you! That tour is still running while I will be in port. It looks great.

Emphraim - The airfare to Montreal is actually fairly decent from where I live, so perhaps I will do a shorter trip there all on its own at some point. I will keep you in mind for when I do :)

Arusha - Ah, too late for the Halifax food tour, and too early for the Portland festival. Doesn't it figure.

I've only had an elephant ear from a bakery, and that was very flaky. The beaver tail is made from flat, oval yeast dough, deep fried. If you're in Montreal or Quebec City, you would look for be queues de castor.

http://www.beavertails.ca/

Have to love regional food terminology. I looked it up and I was thinking of the fried dough type elephant ear, which seems interchangeable with a beaver tail, but apparently palmiers (what I'm guessing is the flaky pastry you mean) are also called elephant ears.

For Charlottetown, if you have even a wee bit of a sweet tooth I suggest you go to Anne of Green Gables Chocolates on Queen Street close to Richmond Street/Victoria Row and try chocolate covered potato chips! I have yet to find anyone who dislikes them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also a fan of good meal and I'm from Quebec city.

In Quebec city, we have many really good restaurants. I suggest these fine restaurants:

- Le St-Amour (old town): innovative cuisine with local ingredients. At this period they always have games meat.

- Near the port: the Laurie-Raphael and le Toast (smaller one)

- Le feu Sacré on St-Louis street: a really good steak house inside the walled city.

- As you stay few days more, you can also go on Cartier street (15-20 minutes walk from the old city) and try le Graffiti. His wine list is fabulous! And the foods are the same! You will also discover a less touristic part of the city.

You had a suggestion of trying a Beaver tall: it’s really not local! It’s from Ontario.

Poutine at Ashton: my teenagers loved it! Ashton is a local fast food chain serving la poutine, a French fries with brown sauce and curd cheese. Not my favorite meal between you and me!

Going to Montreal? As you will stay only few days, I don’t suggest it. Quebec city is a walkable city with many attractions.

Enjoy your cruise!

It's unfortunate you are missing food tour etc but if you can a winery tour would also give you an opportunity to have some great food as well.

Both Luckettes and Grand Pre have excellent reviewed restaurants.

There are a number of Wine Tours Eagle Tree, Go North. The following is a copy earlier post

"icon1.gifWine Tour

Halifax Tour Guys also do a wine tour and will customize to your interests and itinerary. Here are a few choices, as you can see some wineries have designated times for their own tasting tours which can be arranged or you can wander through yourselves. Lunch can also be booked at one of the wineries of your choice.

http://www.muirmurraywinery.com/home.html

http://www.luckettvineyards.com/

http://www.grandprewines.ns.ca/

http://www.avondalesky.com/

The Valley wineries have gotten together with appellation "Tidal Bay" you can find more info from Taste of Nova Scotia

http://www.tasteofnovascotia.com/new...lation-wine-2/

and Winery Association

http://www.winesofnovascotia.ca/

Halifax Tour Guys are very reasonable we compared prices and they were considerably less than some others. Our tour was excellent and we took time out to go to Historic Grande Pre Land of Evangeline and a quick tour of Wofville.

Our Tour Guide was Richard and he couldn't have been more helpful they will adjust schedule before and during to suit you if as we did stayed longer at one Vineyard....."

Hope this helps and give you some alternative for a great visit with lots of good food of course.!!

Archived