why does Carnival have such a bad "partying" reputation

cruisingreena

I've been on a few Carnival cruises, and I have NEVER seen this "partying" that some refer to.

I recall seeing 2 drunks on all these cruise. One was youngish woman, late 20's, early 30's. The other an older man, late 50's, 60's.

That's 2 people, ... out of thousands! Guess I'm going to bed too early, or I'm on the opposite end of the ship from the 'partiers'.

A drunk is a drunk, no matter what line they sail on, ... and they do sail on ALL lines.

Edited by WetToes

We've taken 3 Carnival cruises and they've all been nice. The partying people go to the night clubs which are away from cabins and decks. If you don't go, you don't even notice people partying. We have never gone on the Lido deck when they're having those silly contests. The food in the MDR is very good. The deli sandwiches, and pizza are excellent. Don't care for eating on the Lido deck. The cabins on all 3 ships we've been on are large and comfortable. The prices are great for Carnival cruises. If you want complete quiet and no crowds, and sophistication, you have to pay for it. Those cruise lines are very pricey.

Really everything discussed here is a matter of perspective. Obviously some people have problems with overt expressions of fun. My family focuses on ourselves and having fun.

Personally speaking I could easily turn into a "drunk cruiser" if you put me on a DCL. That many children on a boat would make me break out in drink. ;)

We are divers and cruise with like minded people most of the time; we're not particularly loyal to any cruise line, but cruise often with Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Carnival since it's the itinerary, not the cruise line or ship that dictate where we go. A lot depends on when you cruise and the length of the voyage - regardless of the ship, the shorter the cruise, the more you see the booze. The only cruise line where I regularly see young adults drinking and getting out of control and older adults (who know better) acting stupid is on Carnival. It probably happens elsewhere, but no where is it tolerated as much as it is on Carnival.

We always come away having had a good time diving in the ports of call; we travel with friends and do our own thing while on and off the ship in port. How people behave really doesn't affect us, though it does make for interesting stories after the fact. I think Carnival attracts a younger, perhaps a slightly less refined clientele. Again, I am not saying it's only Carnival that has issues. It's just we see it more on Carnival; it's a self-fulfilling prophesy. Personally, I think Carnival likes this reputation.

Edited by Sailfish

I think their past advertisement campaigns have fostered that reputation. That's where I got the opinion I have.

Also, I have sailed Princess and Carnival and Carnival focuses so much more on bars and alcohol. My first cruise was on Princess and it had a lot more interesting things to do than silly games and hanging out at bars. After that, I was bored and looking for something interesting to do on Carnival. I didn't find it.

But, Carnival sails out of my home port so it's convenient.

I can tell you from my own experience the ship I saw the most drunks and rudeness on was ncl pearl. I hate when people claim it is only a carnival thing. Now as far as fun. I think carnival outshines all. You can have a party and not be full of drunks. Look at many of the deck parties. They te filled with families having a blast. Not fall down drunks.

I've cruised on several lines, including Carnival. I was on C for a 4 day, a 7 day, and a 14 day cruise. In all instances I saw many more people having MUCH too good a time (drunk, obnoxious, loud, boisterous, in-your-face) on Carnival than on any of the other lines I have been on. And then all the silly contests, "hairy chests" among them.

Carnival caters to the younger set -- more likely to be a bit out of control, perhaps.

There were also many more children on C, and parents who just seemed to think it was ok to let their kids roam the ship unattended. I don't care how good the kids are at home...you put a pack of kids together without adult supervision, and things can quickly get out of hand.

I also really dislike C's decor -- loud, brassy, garish to my tastes. It seems to me that when the atmosphere is "loud", the people tend to be less in control. The glitter, flashing lights, naked statues, seem to bring out the worst in them.

The C crew were outstanding, the food good, the service exemplary...but I wouldn't cruise on C again unless it had an itinerary that was unique and totally unavailable on any other line (and they change their decorator...which I have learned they have, since my last C cruise in the early 2000's...)

I just got off a 5 day cruise on the Glory and I agree with uppitycats. I have been on 37 cruises and this is only my 2nd on Carnival. The last was 30 years ago and at 26 years old at the time, I felt old.

Yes, too many having a boisterous way too much alcohol good time and kids running all over the place at all hours. And, the decorating is horrible.

I also agree that the crew were great and the food was good!

I liked the class argument in this old thread, I mean what do Americans now about class distinction

Love it!

I was shocked and amazed by our first Carnival cruise, on the Fantasy. Shocked by how many quiet places there were, amazed by the friendly service. We'd expected a drastically reduced cruise experience from RCI based on what we'd been told by more experienced cruisers, including those we met on our RCI cruises, but it really wasn't. It was just a little different.

We've seen the odd drunkard or rude individual on each of our cruises, on both lines we've sailed; I think any ship you sail, you're in close quarters with hundreds or thousands of strangers, and you'll always be able to find some who don't fit your standard. I do think Carnival's passengers are, on the whole, more laid back. I'll have to try many more ships and a few other lines before I'm able to choose a favorite. Ah, the perils of life...

We've been on several Carnival cruises and have only seen drunks a couple of time, once was an older guy with a women (not sure it was his wife) and security was called and they were cut-off, and the other time was a 20something guy sheepishly asking a bartender for a coke because he apparently had too much fun the night before and had his alcohol buying priveleges revoked. Otherwise, the 'energy' on a Carnival ship is good, lots of fun. From what I've heard from cruising friends, the other lines are usually a bit too quiet. But there is also the length of cruise and itinerary issue. Shorter is more party on most mass market lines and longer on any line (even Carnival) is quieter and older (we were on a 10-day that even we felt young on - late 50s).

For me, its never been the drunk people on Carnival. It has always been "the RUDE, I left my mannors on dry land because i'm on vacation" people that have always left the sour taste in my mouth.

I have only been on Carnival, but i'm sure these people are on every boat\line :D....

Its funny, we saw more "drunk" people on our family oriented Disney cruise than our Carnival one! I will say, I did have one really rude experience with a smoker on our carnival cruise, but it was so minor in the big picture it would never keep me from coming back!

I really enjoyed Carnival and had the dates worked out for our next cruise we might of considered them again.

So, we will give Royal a try, simply as the sail date worked best for us!

Our next family cruise vacation will still likely be on Carnival!

Its funny, we saw more "drunk" people on our family oriented Disney cruise than our Carnival one! I will say, I did have one really rude experience with a smoker on our carnival cruise, but it was so minor in the big picture it would never keep me from coming back!

I really enjoyed Carnival and had the dates worked out for our next cruise we might of considered them again.

So, we will give Royal a try, simply as the sail date worked best for us!

Our next family cruise vacation will still likely be on Carnival!

Haha.. I thought the same thing reading through this thread. There were more drunk people on our Disney cruise than I've ever seen on a Carnival cruise.

I wonder if that's the correlation... the more kids on a ship the more drunk people there will be! :-)

I think it's the name of the line:

Definition of CARNIVAL

: a season or festival of merrymaking before Lent

a : an instance of merrymaking, feasting, or masquerading

b : an instance of riotous excess <a carnival of violence>

The name immediately makes me think of a Mardi Gras type atmosphere. The three cruises I've taken were fine, more drinking than I usually see, but I didn't notice drunk or obnoxious people.

The last decade which Cruise Lines have hosted the following activities:

Toga Party

Sexy Legs Contest

Quest

Hairy Chest Contest

Shipendales

Belly Flop Contest

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by poohbare19

I can tell you from my own experience the ship I saw the most drunks and rudeness on was ncl pearl. I hate when people claim it is only a carnival thing. Now as far as fun. I think carnival outshines all. You can have a party and not be full of drunks. Look at many of the deck parties. They te filled with families having a blast. Not fall down drunks.
I seem to remember you posting in another thread, that on your last Carnival Cruise there was a security guard on permanent duty on the Lido Deck.For those who may not have read your post would you repeat the reasons why.

In seven Carnival cruises, I am yet to see these famous drunks and wild party-ers!

Obviously we retire far too early! :D

My guess is...the bad stuff happens on shorter cruise and during Spring Break.

So now you know what to avoid.

Because for the first 20+ years.....

Carnival was known as a booze and booty cruise.

It was not a Sail and Sign card....it was a Drink and Sink card.

That kind of reputation is difficult to change....

(especially when shorter cruises still draw that kind of clientele)

I agree with this...

For those who have cruised on Carnival since the 1970's, you know the Carnival of "then" and the Carnival of "today" are different entities.

In the 70's and 80's, Carnival was known for the beer drinking contests, the men's nightgown contest, and, of course, the pillow fights over the swimming pools. Again, all of these 'less than politically correct' events were organized by the cruise staff and put on full display for all the passengers to see and/or participate in.

Reputations are hard things to shake...

For those who have cruised on Carnival since the 1970's,

you know the Carnival of "then" and the Carnival of "today" are different entities. ===> Thankfully! :D

In the 70's and 80's, Carnival was known for the beer drinking contests, the men's nightgown contest,

and, of course, the pillow fights over the swimming pools.

Again, all of these 'less than politically correct' events were organized by the cruise staff

and put on full display for all the passengers to see and/or participate in.

Reputations are hard things to shake...

Thank you for the interesting history lesson!

I've only cruised with Carnival since 2007, so this background info of yours explains a lot!

I had no idea!!

Carnival was the first cruise we took back in 1992 - we were in our 20's. It was on the Holiday in Caribbean. Perhaps all those crazy activities were going on back then, but as I recall, we all dressed up to go to formal night - very dressed up, the food in the main dining room was AMAZING; and the midnight buffet with its ice sculptures and bowels of caviar and seafood simply blew you away. We paid a lot more for a cruise back then too. On this particular cruise, we never saw roaming packs of kids - there weren't all that many kids to begin with - and the overall feeling to the cruise was not what it is today - it was more classy than it is today. We also began to experience other cruise lines around that time too - similar experiences.

But things change and ALL cruise lines have had to readjust their concepts - Carnival found its niche and developed its marketing strategy to include things that would attract young families (back in the 90's, cruiselines were not so family friendly). They also lowered prices and evolved into what is now considered the lowest price cruise line. I think it's very smart marketing.

I know what Carnival is like, and though it's not my favorite cruise line, I still cruise with them regularly. I have a cruise on the Reflection coming up Thanksgiving week and found the cruise on the Liberty the week after would cost us less than to stay at a hotel for a couple of days or fly home (and pay a huge premium) immediately following that cruise. So here we are coming off of a Celebrity cruise, and immediately jumping onto another cruise - the Libery- to SAVE MONEY!

Well you catch my drift. Will I put up with a few crazies on Carnival - you bet I will! But lets be honest here - you get what you pay for on Carnival.

All I know is this, each week I watch the port cams, specifically Port Everglades as we are sailing from there in August. When the CCL Freedom leaves, you can hear music and people cheering on the lido deck. When RCCL leaves, its just quiet. No music, no anything. Hearing the music from the lido deck gets my DH all ready for our upcoming FAMILY cruise with our DSs :)