Upgrade from JC to JB

zingaro

Hi all

We booked a cruise on P&Os Ventura sailing from Southampton to the Caribbean for 21 nights on the 2nd November. We were guaranteed a minimum of JC balcony grade, which I thought would either be on deck A or the Rivera Deck, I asked if we could be allocated a port side cabin as well, as I believed that the starboard side cabins would be in the shade most of the time, especially if the sun sets in the south are my thoughts correct on this. We have now been upgraded to a JB grade and we will now be on deck C on the starboard side, cabin number 523, is there any advantage of excepting this upgrade apart from that it is lower down in the ship so if the sea is rough we will feel less movement and I believe the balcony is slightly larger or would we be better on the JC decks. Be grateful for any responses, as on my previous cruises we have always been on the port side of the ship and found this to be better.

Yes! Take it!! You have hit the jackpot!!!

Ahem.... the point is that the balconies on C deck are twice as big as those on Riviera, A or B decks. Have a look at this page on my blog about balcony sizes and positions. So you'll have much more space, and you are more likely to get some sun in the open part of the balcony.

Also the sun will be setting in the south-west or even west-south-west so there's a good chance that with the ship sailing broadly SW, at the end of the afternoon the sun will be shining from dead ahead or slightly to starboard.

Thanks very much for the reply you have put my wife's mind at rest as she often likes to sit in the sun on the balcony's, I have read your article on Balcony's and might I say it is an excellent write up and very informative. Once again thankyou for the time to answer our question.

I agree....we would only ever book C deck balconies on Ventura or Azura twice the size of others !! and cabin size is fine as well! :)

Thanks Jenny and Tom. We were looking at the Caribbean Transatlantic for end of march 2014. It'd be our 1st time with P & O. And 1st taste of carib and a transatlantic crossing too.

Berwyn

Just a query.

I thought that if you had a guarantee or getaway fare you had to take the cabin offered, be it an upgrade or not.

I would like to be proved wrong and would like to know for future occasions.

We received a visit from the upgrade fairy and it was fantastic!

We did the transatlantic back to Southampton and were on C deck Starboard, had the sun all day and know the balconies on the other side got no sun at all, we were surprised the ship seemed on a straight east to west line not at an angle as we expected, we left from St Maarten and our first landfall was Tenerife, all crossings may not take the same route.

We did the transatlantic back to Southampton and were on C deck Starboard, had the sun all day and know the balconies on the other side got no sun at all, we were surprised the ship seemed on a straight east to west line not at an angle as we expected, we left from St Maarten and our first landfall was Tenerife, all crossings may not take the same route.

Hi Sue,

No, the one DW and I are looking at is at end of March 2014 and goes from Caribbean and next stop is the Azores.

Thank you for the extra info about the sunny side of the ship.

Berwyn

The course from St Maarten to the Azores is about 50 degrees so travelling east a starboard cabin would have the sun most of the day and port cabin some sun late afternoon and evening.

Travelling east to the Canaries the course is 65 degrees so less sun on the port side.

Just a query.

I thought that if you had a guarantee or getaway fare you had to take the cabin offered, be it an upgrade or not.

I would like to be proved wrong and would like to know for future occasions.

We received a visit from the upgrade fairy and it was fantastic!

Yes, no choice in the matter anyway....you have to take it...thats how its always been anyway:confused:

Archived