Eclipse - Family Verandah or not?

veravin

Hello All,

This has probably be answered in bits and bobs elsewhere but I have not really found the answers I am looking for so I hope that I can get some guidance. I am traveling in June 2013 on a 14 day cruise of the Baltics on the Eclipse. I am traveling with my husband, my two children (7 and 9) and my parents. We are currently booked in FV8107 and the adjoining 8105. The pluses I can see are that there are two bedrooms, a relatively huge suite, a large balcony and the adjoining stateroom will give us a total of 2 bathrooms for the group. My concerns are that I am sensitive to movement on the boat and a bit of a light sleeper. Am I going to be a miserable seasick insomniac with a big suite to wander around and throw up in?

All thoughts are appreciated.

We had that room 2 years in a row on the Eclipse and absolutely LOVED it! You will feel a little more motion being in the front, but at no time did I feel sick. If seas are rough, you can hear the waves crash against the bow. We would joke that we just "hit a deer".

But the space was totally worth any minor noises. We did not wake early in the mornings as some people have complained about when docking. Only vibrations we felt were when we were leaving port and they engaged the bow thrusters. That lasted at most 2 minutes.

If they were such bad rooms, they would never be fully booked up and we certainly wouldn't have got 8107 twice. Go for it! You'll love it! Just take some Dramamine before bed if you're too worried.

I second the above, the space you will have is fabulous, second to none, well perhaps a penthouse suite!!, seriously, go for it, you will love all that extra room, and you have done exactly the right thing, in having a second cabin nearby for more bathroom. Enjoy your cruise!!! Be excited!!! We still talk about our FV in awe and wonder and we had one in 2009!!

We had 8108 on the Eclipse. Great cabin with the larger balcony like 8107. Since you are also looking at the next cabin over, they are both in a small hallway and there is an outer door you can close then the entire inside of both cabins is secured. We heard very little noise. You will hear bow thrusters and anchor noises if you tender. One funny problem we had with the master bedroom door. It can be propped open with a little wooden wedge door stop. Barely. So we slept with the master bedroom door propped open at night. That's until one night around 3:00AM the ship rocked and the door slammed shut. Scared the heck out of us. From then on we placed a chair in front of the door. It's a great cabin. If you look at older threads, you will see lots of my photos of 8108.

Jealous, looks like the IDEAL cabin set up for your group.

I too suffer motion sickness and have not sought out this cabin for this reason. Still, I *think* I'd still snap up your cabins if they were available, despite my motion sickness. That cabin is just too nice to pass up, imo.

Bonine works pretty well for me except it does cause some fatigue. I tried the scop patch last time and it worked GREAT - except that I broke out all over in a very mild rash so I discontinued use about half way through the cruise and switched to bonine. I must have at least a minor allergy to the active ingredient in the patch, as my rash was gone within 12 hours of patch removal. I also travel with ginger pills, ginger candy, and the bands. I'm still tying to find the perfect solution for my motion sickness, I know everyone is different. I do know for a fact that low, center cabin made a HUGE differnce for me. When I'm forward on an upper decks I can really feel the sway, even in perfectly calm waters and I really appreciate having a "steady" cabin to retreat to. But again, that cabin looks just great - I think I'd be willing to suffer a little to enjoy that cabin in the Baltic!

I can get seasick pretty easily but never had a moment's distress on Solstice in 8107. My daughter did have a touch but a quick Bonine did the trick for her. 8107 was VERY noisy when docking but I have heard it's worse on Solstice (the first of the S class) and not nearly as bad on the following ships. I think all in all you will love your set-up. The FV's are HUGE!!!!

I don't know the itinerary on your cruise, but I think I would factor that into my decision. If you have alot of sea days, and/or alot of time in seas known to be rocky (not sure if those areas are, just a general statement) then you may not want those rooms. If you are in port alot, it would be less of a problem. Don't know how you are, but unless the seas are horrible I do okay when I'm sleeping, doped up with dramamine. At the same time, this is a long cruise - and as one who is familiar with motion sickness I know you know that even one day of it can feel like an eternity.

On our last cruise we did our first SS guarantee and ended up with a wonderful aft corner SS. It was beautiful. The seas were not. There were times during that cruise I regretted that decision, but overall I was glad for the extra space and the great room. Would I do it over again? Most likely. In fact, on our upcoming cruise we have a Sweet 16 cabin on Summit. I'm a little nervous about the location as well, but plan to be prepared and keep my fingers crossed.

The bottom line is, if the seas are rocky or rolling, you feel it more very far forward or aft - that is the science of it and no one can legitimately say otherwise. Whether you feel you can handle it and want to take the chance is a decision only you can make. Good luck - and smooth sailing!

Thanks to all for your thoughts. It looks like there are 5 full sea days and 8 days that we are docked. The first three sea days alternate with a port day so I can get off and walk around and get my bearings. My concern is probably more with those last two sea days before we get home. I appreciate all the input and will happily take any other great ideas!

Thanks to all for your thoughts. It looks like there are 5 full sea days and 8 days that we are docked. The first three sea days alternate with a port day so I can get off and walk around and get my bearings. My concern is probably more with those last two sea days before we get home. I appreciate all the input and will happily take any other great ideas!

I really wouldn't worry about it too much. If you start to feel bad, get some ginger ale, go down to the lower decks and just stay in your room to sleep with the help of Bonine or Dramamine.

I think state of mind has a lot to do with it as well. If you're telling yourself you will get sick, then more than likely, you will. I am in no way saying that motion sickness is all psychological, as I have had it before, I'm just saying to take precautions and don't dwell on it.

That room is totally awesome and unless you were giving me a Royal or Penthouse Suite, you would never talk me out of it. The privacy with the 2 bedrooms and all the extra space for 4 people is incredible. Be forewarned that you will be spoiled after having the FV! Don't change rooms. You will kick yourself if you do. Trust me.

We had an FV on the Eclipse in 2011. It was great for our family of 5. Plenty of space to spare and an awesome view of the bow. Motion was not a problem. We have had balcony rooms amidships on Crown Princess and Ruby Princess and noticed more motion than in an FV. Celebrity must have awesome stabilizers.

As a matter of fact, we just booked another FV on the Silhouette for March 2013. Which leads to my quick question for Celebrity experts...... Is there any difference in balcony size between deck 8 FVs and deck 7 FVs?

I am the worlds worst sailor (i once flew home from a cruise because of it, on a smaller ship) but we were in 7108 on solstice, and i never once felt sick, you are not actually in the cabin enough to be affected, what with all the amazing amenities and restaurants on board, the only thing we noticed was the docking noise, but i grew to love this, i would jump up out of bed and go and watch us docking in a new place, it became a special time of day for us.

I also loved that we had a good walk to our cabin, and once there, no one was passing by, it felt private, and gave us a chance to walk off dinner!

The FVs are really nice cabins with a long walk to the buffet (which might be a good thing!). Having the cabin next door is great because of the private alcove you'll have at the end of the hall that can be shut off with an additional door. I really liked the cabin set-up, but if you are motion sensitive with sea days and the potential for rocky seas (which can happen anywhere) you might want to reconsider.

As a matter of fact, we just booked another FV on the Silhouette for March 2013. Which leads to my quick question for Celebrity experts...... Is there any difference in balcony size between deck 8 FVs and deck 7 FVs?

The ones on 7 are half the size and feel claustrophobic because of the way the metalwork on the outside of the ship cuts into the view:

2102975130054958397S600x600Q85.jpg

Phil

I will have to differ with many others.

I would prefer to be at the back of the ship than in front. I have enjoyed beautiful FVs on the M Class Ships. They are all afts. But I would turn this beauty done because of the location.

A good question to ask yourself is how are you in the Theater when there is a lot of movement. If your fine, grab the FV. But if you feel motion sickness, forget the FV.

I will have to differ with many others.

I would prefer to be at the back of the ship than in front. I have enjoyed beautiful FVs on the M Class Ships. They are all afts. But I would turn this beauty done because of the location.

A good question to ask yourself is how are you in the Theater when there is a lot of movement. If your fine, grab the FV. But if you feel motion sickness, forget the FV.

I have been in both. To me, you are comparing Apples to Oranges. Forgetting location, front or back, the S class FV's floor plans are 1000 times better than ones on the M class ships. The S Class FV has nearly twice the space. A living room and dining room area with 4 chairs. A real (yes but small) second bedroom. For me I prefer S class 8108 over M Class 8166 any day. I have sailed in them both.

I have been in both. To me, you are comparing Apples to Oranges. Forgetting location, front or back, the S class FV's floor plans are 1000 times better than ones on the M class ships. The S Class FV has nearly twice the space. A living room and dining room area with 4 chairs. A real (yes but small) second bedroom. For me I prefer S class 8108 over M Class 8166 any day. I have sailed in them both.

I am not comparing apples to oranges since I made no comparison at all. I am only discussing location. Which I believe is exactly what the OP is asking.

I am not comparing apples to oranges since I made no comparison at all. I am only discussing location. Which I believe is exactly what the OP is asking.

As for motion and noise, 8166 on the Millennium was no prize. We had lots of bumping, jarring and constant vibration. And when ever they turned the azipods around under the ship to dock or make a sharp turn, the cabin was very noisy and bumpy. The best and safest location for someone who gets seasick or queasy is right in the center of the ship. There is lots of noise and movement both forward and aft.

I have to jump in again, and please forgive me everyone if I sound a bit crabby. But as someone prone to motion sickness this stuff really matters to me.

It is true that some ships ride a bit smoother than others by design (how the hull is built, how deep the draft is), but beyond that, the science is the science. The least motion is lower in the ship, in the middle. It also matters what direction the waves are coming, and whether you are plowing into the waves or rolling along with them. The higher you get, coupled with the furthest from the middle, the more motion will potentially be felt. It is true on some cruises you could be completely aft or forward and not feel a thing. Consider that lucky. But if there is motion on the ocean on your cruise, the further you are from lower middle of the ship the more motion you will feel.

I do agree that if you expect to get sick, you will likely start to notice it sooner than if you were not thinking about it, but I am a bit sensitive to any suggestion it is in your head. I hadn't gotten seasick in years (lucky with the seas and middle, lower cabins), so when I was on my last cruise in an aft corner SS I was not expecting to get sick. Hmmm. The seas didn't know what I expected and decided to rock and roll. Ugh!

So the moral of my story is, if you get seasick, what matters is the science - not what others have or have not experienced. Evaluate that against your desire for a great room, and the amount of risk you are willing to take. Then if you choose to go for it, be prepared and hope for the best - chances are good you will have a great cruise:)

Thanks for your input PhoenixDream. I do appreciate it. I am quite torn about things as I am the only one in my group that has any issues with motion. I have previously been on the Disney Magic and did well on that (except one terrible tender that rocked and sat next to the ship for an hour). Our cabin was picked with my motion issues in mind though, smack dab in the middle of the ship, but relatively high (deck 6). Have any of you that have issues ever used the scopolamine or bonamine? Does it work? I would just hate to have to squeeze us all in to two tiny rooms (cannot afford three staterooms) because of me.

There are alot of threads that give much good advice on how to prevent and treat seasickness - I recommend you give those a shot too.

I can only speak for myself. I find Bonine (or Dramamine II) to be effective for mild to moderate seas. Check with your doctor (which is good advice regardless) but I have found that the prescription dose is actually twice the dose on the package - I have done that if it was rocky. I also find that regular Dramamine works better, but it makes you much more drowsy. I tried the patch once and did not like it - I was still seasick but did not know if I had not attached it properly or if it was just that the seas were so high that cruise (20-30' - ugh!). I prefer pills cuz I know what dose I am getting. Make sure to start taking the meds BEFORE you set foot on the ship - it is harder to stop it than to prevent it. If you find the seas are calm you can always back off.

I have found ginger to work wonders preventatively. Again, check with your doctor if you are taking any other meds as it does have blood thinning properties. Not everyone realizes that.

Then it gets to the usual advice - try to get someplace you can watch the horizon and get a breeze on your face. Try to keep something in your stomach - avoiding greasy or spicy foods and alcohol.

Only you can decide, but I can say that on multiple occasions I have booked rooms very far aft (or on an upcoming cruise forward) and while there have been moments I wish I hadn't, overall the room itself ended up being worth it. I figure worst case I can always leave the room and head to a lower, centrally located place to hang out for awhile if need be. Alot depends on how susceptible you are, and how well the meds work for you. As I age I find myself less susceptible (one of the few benefits:D) and I do well with the meds on all but the most awful seas. Good luck!

Have any of you that have issues ever used the scopolamine or bonamine? Does it work? I would just hate to have to squeeze us all in to two tiny rooms (cannot afford three staterooms) because of me.

I have had great success with Bonamine. I wouldn't get on a ship without it.:)

Archived