Traveling with ailing parents

cruisincountrygirl

I'm so excited that we're finally going on another cruise! We've been able to engineer it, as well, so that my parents will be able to go with us. While they are still active (to some degree), my dad has trouble walking long distances, and my mom can walk even shorter distances. On the ship this usually isn't an issue because we can take our time getting to dinner, etc., but I was hoping to get some advice from anyone who has been through this and could offer some suggestions.

Neither of them are in a wheelchair, and aren't too keen on the idea, although that might be where we end up.

Is it possible to work out to have assistance at the dock to at least take us up to the main terminal, etc.? It's those long walks down the dock that frighten them both the most--knowing they're holding everybody up, etc. I know that I've seen people get a ride in Mexico when we've stopped, but is that anything you can work out ahead of time, or do you just have to hope something like that exists?

Thanks to any help! I really appreciate it!

We took my husbands parents 6/2011 to St.John/Halifax. Same circumstances as you have. We thought it would not be bad because of the ports...and like you, they did not want wheel chairs. BIG mistake. We should have insisted and rented them. It was truly awful and it was only a 5 day cruise. PLEASE insist on renting them wheelchairs....it will make your lives soooo much easier on you AND them.

Hubby and I could not wait to get home....that is how bad it was. Sorry.

We have always just walked up to the port and asked if we decided we wanted wheelchair assitance onto the ship.. and they will tell you where to wait. Sometimes you have to wait longer as the wheelchairs are still in use taking people off the previous cruise.. but you just have to ask.

Some people have said they ask ahead of time thru special needs .. though to me it does not seem necessary.

'ello! So glad you can take your parents along! :) Will this be their first cruise? We were in a similar situation a few years ago. After hearing about our cruises for a few years, my parents-in-law decided to join us for a short cruise. They have simliar mobility issue, and used those walkers with chair in front to move about the ship. Because of their limited mobility, they chose to stay on the ship at Cozumel, and had a great time on the ship. We were so glad to be able to share the cruise experience with them, especially as their health has declined to where cruising is no longer possible.

Some ports may have bicycle taxis to take passenegers from the ship to the main port area, as Cozumel does.

I'm so excited that we're finally going on another cruise! We've been able to engineer it, as well, so that my parents will be able to go with us. While they are still active (to some degree), my dad has trouble walking long distances, and my mom can walk even shorter distances. On the ship this usually isn't an issue because we can take our time getting to dinner, etc., but I was hoping to get some advice from anyone who has been through this and could offer some suggestions.

Neither of them are in a wheelchair, and aren't too keen on the idea, although that might be where we end up.

Is it possible to work out to have assistance at the dock to at least take us up to the main terminal, etc.? It's those long walks down the dock that frighten them both the most--knowing they're holding everybody up, etc. I know that I've seen people get a ride in Mexico when we've stopped, but is that anything you can work out ahead of time, or do you just have to hope something like that exists?

Thanks to any help! I really appreciate it!

Have sailed with in-laws, MIL has same issues. Not sure where your ports are but in Cozumel they have pedi-cabs to assist to the end of the pier.

We made sure there were places to sit wherever we went and made it a point that DH and I stood in lines (airport, port check in, dinner, disembarkation) and would go get them once we got to the front of the line. For us cruising wasn't so bad, it was the airports. MIL will not get assistance which makes it very tiring for her. I don't get it. I wanted to get her a golf cart but she wouldn't hear of it :rolleyes:.

If they'd take along the walkers with chairs as suggested by others "just in case" I would recommend that. BTW My mom wouldn't hear of a wheelchair on a trip to Vegas, after 30 minutes of walking to get from hotel lobby to restaurant she relented and really enjoyed being pushed in a wheelchair for the rest of the trip. We didn't mind at all and in the end it made it much easier for all of us. Maybe they will relent! Have a great cruise.

You can buy a folding wheelchair in Walgreen's for $99 (sometimes it's on sale for lerss than that). You can use it right away and take it to ports or use it on the ship. It's less expensive than renting and you can have it 100% of the time. it's yours. When you use their chair (the ship's) you have to wait and you can't use it on the ship or in port. $99 and you can use it all week and bring it home for later use to. Personal experience taught me this. Happy cruising.

I'm taking my mother this year again. She uses a walker all the time around the house, etc. but this year I insisted on renting a wheelchair, mainly for the ports. (She has the walker with the built in seat that she loves, able to carry things around, sit when she gets tired, etc.) Last cruise with her 2 years ago, we had 2 tender ports, 2 docking ports. Tender ports were actually easier, because they would help her onto/off the tender. Docking was hard, because of the long walkways to the shops, etc. Upcoming cruise is all docking. This time, she didn't resist renting the wheelchair.

Contact Special Needs to get wheelchair assist for Embarkation/Debarkation. And if you do rent a wheelchair, get a regular one, not one with wheels all the same size. (Transport wheelchair). Trust me, you will do much better with the regular folding wheelchair than the transport kind.

My husband has mobility problems also and would not rent a wheel chair or a scooter. He did finally agree to get a walker with a seat. He admitted that was the best investment he's ever made.

Tell us which ports and maybe we can tell you about services available. I always try to find out about the ports because of the long walks. Our trip to Roatan was very dramatic because of the extremely long walk involved to get to the tour guides.

Cozumel was good as were St. Kitts and St. Maarten because both had golf cart transport services. St. Kitts even had benches along the way where one could sit and rest. If it is a port I have never been to, I post a request on a roll call for a ship doing that itinerary asking if anyone would be so kind as to let me know if transporters are available.

So, give is more info so we can give more input that you might need. Great you are cruising together.

I'm taking my 83 year old mom with me and my best friend next month on a cruise. She carries a portable oxygen concentration with her and gets around very well. She too did not want a wheel chair, but I insisted because mainly of getting from the ship into the towns, sometimes you have to walk a ways. My friend had purchased her mom a wheelchair at Walgreens for like $100 bucks. It folds up and is easy to transport so we're using that. I really did not want to purchase one as one isn't needed all the time. But I agree with the other posters that have been through this. It will be much easier on them and you so that you all can enjoy your trip.

thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I've been on so many boards this morning, I guess I skipped our plans on this one. Sorry about that.

We're doing the June 9 from Barcelona to Dover, stopping in Rome, Marseilles, Malaga, Lisbon. My mother is originally from Barcelona (although it's been MANY years since she's been), so we'll be there a few days early.

I remembered the bicycle taxis in Cozumel, but that's the only place I've seen that. I basically got my dad to agree to go if I could lessen his walking (my mom was really wanting to join us and my dad was resisting). She has COPD so she tires very easily. DH and I don't mind at all pushing wheelchairs, but you're right--we may just have to insist.

I've already checked our flight requirements and I'm about to book our airfare--looks like most of the airlines will allow us to use them and not consider them "extra".

Thanks to everyone! Any other advice is much appreciated!

My dad had mobility problems and when we got to the port, there were wheelchairs to take him onboard. He did rent a scooter for us onboard though. He didn't/wouldn't take the scooter off the ship, but he was content just being on the ship when we got to other ports.

We got off and did what we wanted, but usually came back in time to go to lunch with him even if it was a late lunch. He had a great time sitting on the deck and chatting with people. He met lots of people and totally enjoyed his cruises. Unfortunately, he passed away last year at almost 98 years old.

I miss sailing with him and I know he loved every minute of his cruises. He so looked forward to them. Please take the time to enjoy the cruise with your parents. It may be the best time of their lives.

My dad had mobility problems and when we got to the port, there were wheelchairs to take him onboard. He did rent a scooter for us onboard though. He didn't/wouldn't take the scooter off the ship, but he was content just being on the ship when we got to other ports.

We got off and did what we wanted, but usually came back in time to go to lunch with him even if it was a late lunch. He had a great time sitting on the deck and chatting with people. He met lots of people and totally enjoyed his cruises. Unfortunately, he passed away last year at almost 98 years old.

I miss sailing with him and I know he loved every minute of his cruises. He so looked forward to them. Please take the time to enjoy the cruise with your parents. It may be the best time of their lives.

Katie...I am SO VERY HAPPY to hear this. This was our wish. My husbands parents have never been anywhere and we gave them this cruise knowing that they are near the end of their lives. Unfortunately, we have the opposite of what you have. Nothing but complaints from them. All we wanted to do was make them happy....and the end result was awful. Your end result, was my husbands dream.

When we took Mom on a cruise, we picked the Holiday since it was a small ship. She was able to get around but went back to her room often for naps. We should have rented a wheelchair to take, she strongly protested. The airline was great with golf cart service for her. Mom was a whole 80 lbs then and was a real trooper. It was her last trip so I was glad the entire family went.

Archived