Those terrible hurricanes

girlsjustwannacruise

about a week is the best you can expect. more than likely 3-4 days as they're rather unpredictable and can change course at any point.

tampa was supposed to be hit hard about about 2 weeks ago... didn't happen. ya never know during hurricane season.

I was googling today too - trying to find out the same information. I was looking for hurricane predictions a month out. Didn't have much luck.

Are there any sites to be watching early just to get a possibility, something to watch?

I am currently watching a very interesting show on National Geographic channel about giant rogue waves - probably not a good idea with a cruise coming up soon!!

I was googling today too - trying to find out the same information. I was looking for hurricane predictions a month out. Didn't have much luck.

Are there any sites to be watching early just to get a possibility, something to watch?

no, you cannot predict hurricanes reliably 1 month out. at all.

I am currently watching a very interesting show on National Geographic channel about giant rogue waves - probably not a good idea with a cruise coming up soon!!

You can check the Hurricane Zone 2012 board here on Cruisecritic. You will find links to the National Hurricane Center. The NHC is a good resource for tracking and forecasting hurricanes. As said previously trying to predict the formation of a hurricane more than a month out from your cruise will be difficult.

You can go to the National Hurricane Center, http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ and look at the grafts there. I also keep up with http://www.wunderground.com and Dr. Jeff Masters Blog there. http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/article.html

He will update about hurricanes/typhoons all over the world though, so you need to make sure you know your geography before getting worried!

HTH

June

Storm2k has some really interesting discussions on there.

I check the tropical waves coming off of Africa about four weeks out. Then, I keep an eye out.

Noaa's NHC (as mentioned above) is excellent for watching the development of the waves into invests. (You'll see these as colored circles on the map there...)

Once the waves become invests, you can check them on Wunderground. Wunderground starts showing ensemble and computer models of possibilities.

Now, these aren't 100% ways of knowing where a hurricane or storm will go. BUT, you can watch where the models are running. And, usually, they'll give you an idea of whether it will go 1)up the east coast, 2) out to fishland (the Atlantic), or 3) western gulf/caribbean area if they don't fizzle out first.

Once the invest becomes a tropical depression, things start getting a tad clearer. And, on and on til landfall...

Best thing to do? Not really worry about things.

We sailed in the outer bands of Isaac in the eastern Caribbean two weeks ago:) Had a great time. Three weeks from now, we'll be sailing in the western Caribbean. Even if another storm kicks up, we'll still have a rocking time.

From someone on the west coast(currently) I never watched the weather or worried about a hurricane pre-cruise.

We have had changes in itinerary or maybe delays getting to an airport But other than that nothing.

Saying that now........ GF is full time in Houston and she is on weather dot com daily:eek:

Im in SF and that weather doesnt affect me in SF and our house in TX has only seen 1 hurricane in the last 40+ years.:cool:

Try living in earthquake country and never knowing when it wil hit;)

From someone on the west coast(currently) I never watched the weather or worried about a hurricane pre-cruise.

We have had changes in itinerary or maybe delays getting to an airport But other than that nothing.

Saying that now........ GF is full time in Houston and she is on weather dot com daily:eek:

Im in SF and that weather doesnt affect me in SF and our house in TX has only seen 1 hurricane in the last 40+ years.:cool:

Try living in earthquake country and never knowing when it wil hit;)

Funny you should say that. The one year we decided to take our fall cruise on the western side to avoid as much risk was the year we were running to stay ahead of the hurricane our whole trip. (can't remember the name)

The previous year was Katrina which took our ship out of service. We were able to transfer out of Galveston and a week before our cruise another hurricane hit Houston. We got lucky and our 2nd ship still sailed.

We decided to just book what we wanted and buy insurance from that point on. You just never know.

Many form in the Gulf of Mexico as well. They form rather quickly as well. Noty much notice with those.

True. I just tend to pay more attention to the Cape Verde storms and the ones that form before hitting the lessers... The ones that form close in the Gulf aren't predictable - they're the crazy ones;)

!

No one is going to try and predict them a month out except in vague generalities.

I live in FL and this is how I keep up with them:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I wouldn't pay attention to any of the weather channels, I think they all get paid to make it sound like the world is ending any minute. For the most accurate hurricane forcasting - check out Jeff Master's Blog at www.wunderground.com

We always cruise in Oct. We have gone thru several hurricanes, yet every cruise we have had a great time. We have been re-routed , stayed out extra and gone out early. It is all good as cruise lines have been dealing with this for a very long time. Tell you what--I think you are going out on the same cruise as we are (the 2nd leg of our b2b--so I will make sure the boat is kept safe. Just kidding. Don't stress! Things will be great!

Lower chance of experiencing one in a month as the season will be almost over.

Though I'm sure you're aware that October is the 3rd most active month historically, just behind August, with September being most active for Atlantic hurricanes.

Lower chance of experiencing one in a month as the season will be almost over.

Though I'm sure you're aware that October is the 3rd most active month historically, just behind August, with September being most active for Atlantic hurricanes.

I was thinking the same thing. There was one last Oct. right before our Halloween Inspiration cruise out of Tampa. It only takes one hurricane to ruin your day.

Archived