Anyone in the Greek Isles right now?

Smartcookie

Going there on the Legend in two weeks. What should we not miss?

I suggest the morning in Medina and the afternoon in Valetta. Both are very walkable although Valetta is hilly.

You do not need to buy a ship's tour. The local taxis will do a 3 or 4 hour tour for 40 Euros or so. Or, you can do as we did, and just get the local bus. It cost us just 48c each to get to Medina and 48c to get back.

The buses are great. Many are museum pieces but they all are mechanically sound, lots of fun and very reasonably priced.

I found the locals to be very friendly and they all speak English.

I suggest the morning in Medina and the afternoon in Valetta. Both are very walkable although Valetta is hilly.

You do not need to buy a ship's tour. The local taxis will do a 3 or 4 hour tour for 40 Euros or so. Or, you can do as we did, and just get the local bus. It cost us just 48c each to get to Medina and 48c to get back.

The buses are great. Many are museum pieces but they all are mechanically sound, lots of fun and very reasonably priced.

I found the locals to be very friendly and they all speak English.

We leave Valletta at 4pm, having overnighted there. Would we compromise seeing Valletta properly if we try to do mdina as well? Or should we get off the ship at 8.30am and head out for Mdina for a couple of hours?

We leave Valletta at 4pm, having overnighted there. Would we compromise seeing Valletta properly if we try to do mdina as well? Or should we get off the ship at 8.30am and head out for Mdina for a couple of hours?

Medina is not a long visit. Very pretty and a couple of interesting things to see. Two or Three hours max in my view. So, you can be back in Valetta by 12.00pm - 1pm and still have time to get a good feel for Valetta.

Medina is not a long visit. Very pretty and a couple of interesting things to see. Two or Three hours max in my view. So, you can be back in Valetta by 12.00pm - 1pm and still have time to get a good feel for Valetta.

Thank you. I think we will get off by about 9am, take a taxi to Medina then either get one back or get the bus so we have at least 4 hours to see Valletta. We dock at 4pm the day before so we can see some of Valletta then, or maybe we should do medina then. Too many decisions!

Thank you. I think we will get off by about 9am, take a taxi to Medina then either get one back or get the bus so we have at least 4 hours to see Valletta. We dock at 4pm the day before so we can see some of Valletta then, or maybe we should do medina then. Too many decisions!

Your decision is the right one. Get the bus from opposite the port gate up to Valetta and wander round in the evening. Get up earlyish and go to Medina and then come back for the rest of the time you have available in Valetta. Allow yourselves time to walk back down to the ship - you get some excellent views across the harbour.

Cruise begins Friday and I'm wondering about the temps on deck in the evening, specifically about having dinner al fresco. Is it warm enough?

Thanks!

OK, Smartcookie - report back from your cruise (or after you get back). I'm going to be in the Mediterranean in a couple of weeks. Let me know what you thought about the temperature.

Have a wonderful cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I am back. :(

We absolutely LOVED Seabourn. The service, the food (chef made papardelle with braised short ribs specially for us in The Restaurant because we saw it on the menu at the Patio Grill the previous night), the ship, the crew (Timo, Maddy, Valentino...etc.) and our fellow passengers (shout out to Don & Carolyn from Dallas, Matt & Evelyn from CT and the deck 5 Club 5 crowd from Greenwich CT & Naples Fl and finally, Benjamin from Belgium. Everything was perfect, to say nothing of the itinerary and weather (warm, sunny in the 80's every day and 70's at night).

I will write more later as I'm jetlagged, but the cruise completely exceeded my expectations - I will never be able to go back to mass market cruising. Oh well! :D

Archived