Cruiseline/Ship with the best children's programs for 12 and 10 yoa

WANDA28

I have been on 3 cruises(all on Carnival) taking my 11 and 9 year old (at time of cruise) this last time. We had a FANTASTIC time but my kids biggest complaints were being combined with the younger (like 4-up) kids at camp carnival. We would have to check with staff first and no matter how fun the activity, they refuse to go If they were told they would be all together. Any suggestions on other ship that have really good kids programs?

I think that 10-12 is a difficult age range in terms of keeping kids happy in the kids programs. One thing to keep in mind is that on some cruise lines, your 12 year old will be old enough for the teen program but your 10 year old will not. So do they want to be together or doesn't that matter?

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, for example, put 12-17 in the teen program. Usually they are broken down 12-14 and 15-17, but it can depend on how many are participating. If the group is smaller they are more likely to combine 12-17. But they're not likely to let your 10 year old move up into that group, and presumably you don't want your 10 year old running around with the older teens anyway.

I know that on Princess the teen program is 13-17 and they are very strict about it. They will not let a 12 year old participate. (On our last Princess cruise, my older DD turned 13 the day after disembarkation and she was not allowed to move up to the teen program.)

I think that 10-12 is a difficult age range in terms of keeping kids happy in the kids programs. One thing to keep in mind is that on some cruise lines, your 12 year old will be old enough for the teen program but your 10 year old will not. So do they want to be together or doesn't that matter?

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, for example, put 12-17 in the teen program. Usually they are broken down 12-14 and 15-17, but it can depend on how many are participating. If the group is smaller they are more likely to combine 12-17. But they're not likely to let your 10 year old move up into that group, and presumably you don't want your 10 year old running around with the older teens anyway.

I know that on Princess the teen program is 13-17 and they are very strict about it. They will not let a 12 year old participate. (On our last Princess cruise, my older DD turned 13 the day after disembarkation and she was not allowed to move up to the teen program.)

I guess their real problem was being with kids that are 6 and under. For example, We paid a surcharge for a mid night party and stated they were miserable from the younger kids crying wanting their parents. I guess I just would have thought they smaller ones would have been kept separately. I'm sure it all just depends the ratio of children and staff. Despite this minor issue, the kids are begging me to take them on another cruise. :)

Archived