Docking vs Tender... Pecking Order?

kimanjo

Does anyone know if there is a pecking order to whether the ship docks or anchors?

Is it size only?

I was on Azamara Quest and we docked in Monte Carlo at the pier.

Is Riviera too big to dock there?

I think Mein Schiff II (which I believe used to be Celebrity Mercury???) is the only other cruise ship in Monte Carlo the day we are there...

How is it determined who docks, who tenders??

Thanks

J.

I'm no expert, but size is consideration certainly. Also, the time when you arrive.

We were on the QE2 a while back and the captain put the pedal to the metal going in to St. Thomas because he wanted to get the closest tender spot available. Apparently another ship was due in around the same time, but the QE2 was faster than any ship at the time and we got in first. There was no question of the QE2 being able to dock in that port. It would have been impossible.

I have no idea about further determinations of who gets to dock and who has to tender.

Mura

How is it determined who docks, who tenders??

The arrangements are decided by the Harbormaster of the local Port Authority, and while the size of the ship (and how much water she needs to float in) are the primary factors, it also depends on what the ship needs to do while she is in that Port.

A Port charges more for a ship to load or debark passengers, for example, as it does if she needs facilities to take on water, provisions, food or fuel. Not every dock (or anchorage) offers all of these options, so although seniority is a factor, the mechanics of the situation often intervene.

All that said, the Riviera is not too large to dock at the pier in Monte Carlo:

054008.jpg053948.jpg

The arrangements are decided by the Harbormaster of the local Port Authority, and while the size of the ship (and how much water she needs to float in) are the primary factors, it also depends on what the ship needs to do while she is in that Port.

A Port charges more for a ship to load or debark passengers, for example, as it does if she needs facilities to take on water, provisions, food or fuel. Not every dock (or anchorage) offers all of these options, so although seniority is a factor, the mechanics of the situation often intervene.

All that said, the Riviera is not too large to dock at the pier in Monte Carlo:

Thanks for a more detailed explanation.

We were in Monte Carlo on Nautica last October & had to tender to port, Marina was docked. Marina left earlier than our departure, and Nautica then docked. At the time we guessed it was because 1. Marina got there first and 2. she's bigger & got priority. Perhaps there were other factors as well.

100_3806.JPG

Archived