Private or Modified tours for Grand Cayman?

wantocruisemore

I've looked at several of the companies that offer excursions at Grand Cayman. I like Nativeway but the 6 of us want a modified tour. We want to go to Stingray City, go to snorkel at Coral Gardens, the Turtle Farm, and have maybe lunch at a good place. The time seems feasible but this does not fit any pre-packaged tours. We do not want a ships tour or to be on a boat with 40 others. But we don't have to be on a boat just for us 6.

Any suggestions? Has anyone modified Nativeway tours?

Look at our post on the thread below, Fat Fish Adventures is the best tour on GCM. I would forget the turtle farm, not much there and it is in the West End away from everything else. If you had nothing better to do you could spend the time to go there and to Hell. But neither are worth the time in our opinion, especially compared to the day on the water.

Fat Fish came highly recommended on TA and those folks were right!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1708807

Look at our post on the thread below, Fat Fish Adventures is the best tour on GCM. I would forget the turtle farm, not much there and it is in the West End away from everything else. If you had nothing better to do you could spend the time to go there and to Hell. But neither are worth the time in our opinion, especially compared to the day on the water.

Fat Fish came highly recommended on TA and those folks were right!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1708807

I think I could probably forego the turtle farm too but we're going with 2 other couples and the other 2 wives have that as a must see.

I had checked into Fat Fish due to TA's recommendations but they primarily use Jet Skis. Since my shoulder surgery I have limited strength in my arm. I would not feel comfortable riding one.

Do a short Stingray City & Snorkel tour through whichever operator has the best times for your purposes, then just grab a taxi to the turtle farm on your own afterwards. You can have lunch there, or at Macabuca or the Cracked Conch across the road. Then, take a taxi back to the ship.

You could always flip it around if the times work better...do the turtle farm & lunch, then go on the stingray tour afterwards.

As long as you watch your timing and make sure you know when the last tenders are, and allow enough time to get back to the port, you're fine going to the turtle farm on your own rather than with an excursion.

One of our friends also had shoulder surgery and we were leery of her taking the tour but she was fine, no issues. But yes, best to be safe. Try the Fat Fish tour next visit as it is amazing.

The turtle farm is 1/2 price and if we had paid full price both my wife and I would have been upset. There is really not much there other than a few tanks of turtles, a "lazy" croc and a few birds. Very disappointing but you need to see for yourself. At least walk across the street and watch the dolphins to make it worth the trip, you can walk in for free and watch them. Hell is a couple miles further so you may as well catch that too. Again not really worth the time but...

Cap't Marvin's was highly recommended by many other tourists we met there as well as residents and Camanians.

Have fun!

Archived