Any advantage to private guide in Istanbul?

Trying to decide whether to DIY at Istanbul or hire the services of a guide. We'll be there about 8 hours. We're a family of 4, with the oldest daughter being mentally disabled, diabetic & requiring a gluten-free diet. I added the special needs part because sometimes it just benefits us to have a guide due to this. She travels well though, no mobility problems. She also enjoys historic sites and museums.

We've used Kosagan Tours in Ephesus last summer and were extremely pleased.

Also worried about the lines. We will be there the first of May on a Weds.

We will be there in June for 4 days at the end of our cruise. We are thinking of doing the same. Last time we went on a Mediterranean cruise, I "met" people on this board and we all arranged different tours at our ports of call. I arranged the one in Ephesus because there is a travel agency near me that specializes in Turkish travel with an office in Calif and in Istanbul. It was wonderful. If you get a private guide, they wil know where to take you plus they can read the menus for you so you can be cautious about her food. My dad used a private guide for he and his wide only and had a blast. They picked up at the hotel and dropped off there. They even loved the belly dancing show they arranged ahead of time. Private for your needs is he way to go.

After thinking about it alot and reading many DIY experiences, we decided to go ahead and hire a private guide for our day in order to get the most out of it. Soner with Daily Istanbul Tours had some high marks on Trip Advisor and responded to us promptly. The price will be all inclusive including transportation, lunch and entrance fees.

Originally I had planned to go it on our own, but bypassing some lines has advantages and we want to just be able to enjoy and learn. For our first visit to Istanbul I think this will work best.

We were in Istanbul for a couple of days before our cruise last year and I highly recommend a private guide. Having someone who knows where to go, what times are best and can give you the history is invaluable. We were so glad that we had the extra days and had our own guide. It was great.

You won't regret making the decision to hire a guide.

just one word of caution

It's great having a private guide but make sure they dont sidetrack you

If you have no interest in buying turkish rugs or other souvenirs make sure they understand this from the outset

many do have arrangements with local traders and cafe owners to bring tourists to their businesses and expect you to spend money

just one word of caution

If you have no interest in buying turkish rugs or other souvenirs make sure they understand this from the outset

many do have arrangements with local traders and cafe owners to bring tourists to their businesses and expect you to spend money

I agree with this - we told our Ephesus guide that the tip would be influenced by how much we got to see from our wish list, and if he eliminated all shopping stops we would tip more. We even eliminated the lunch with local cuisine - we snacked on pre-packaged snack bars, and our guide ate his lunch while we explored a site. The lunch experience would have eliminated 90 minutes we spent at St John's Basilica.

The driver, guide, and the two of us were extremely pleased with the results. Our heavier than usual tip more than compensated for the loss of kick-back from shops. We saw everything on our list - everything on two of the ship's all day tours.

just one word of caution

I will be sure to mention that. We had no problems specifying in Kusadasi/Ephesus last summer that we were not interested in shopping and guide did not take us to any. We don't want to in Istanbul either.

But lunch is included so I will inquire more about it.

We used a private guide in Istanbul, in reflection it is very easy to DIY, but found the guide and turnkey pickup/dropoff great as it was hot and crowded that day in port.

If you have people that might/need more support the value in Turkey makes tours more affordable than most other places.

Trying to decide whether to DIY at Istanbul or hire the services of a guide. We'll be there about 8 hours. We're a family of 4, with the oldest daughter being mentally disabled, diabetic & requiring a gluten-free diet. I added the special needs part because sometimes it just benefits us to have a guide due to this. She travels well though, no mobility problems. She also enjoys historic sites and museums.

We've used Kosagan Tours in Ephesus last summer and were extremely pleased.

Also worried about the lines. We will be there the first of May on a Weds.

Archived