Veendam failed latest cdc inspection

Thank you for the reports. We will be on her in Jan. and I will also report then.

I would like to know who is the CD now that Dan has transferred to Asia cruises?

Posted on the Roll Call. CD is Kelsey at present. Never have cruised with. Anyone else?

Hotel Director is presently Sp? Von Macklenberg?

Getting closer.;)

Just came back from our 31 days,Boston-Buenos Aires,oct. 20 cruise on

the Veendam...perfect cruise,plumbing and AC very efficient,and regarding

the crew,so outstanding,the main reason we keep cruising with HAL.Hoping

this reassures future Veendam cruisers.

Just came back from our 31 days,Boston-Buenos Aires,oct. 20 cruise on

the Veendam...perfect cruise,plumbing and AC very efficient,and regarding

the crew,so outstanding,the main reason we keep cruising with HAL.Hoping

this reassures future Veendam cruisers.

Thanks Laurette for letting us know what a great time you had on the Veendam.

We just got off the Veendam last Monday. One of our friend's rooms had a crack in the glass in the door. Another friend's room was too cold for a few nights. Our room was too warm for a few nights. Nothing really bad just a little uncomfortable.

Our friends with the cracked glass were moved to another room that they had no trouble with.

Overall the only other problems we noticed was a distinct sewage small on the 8th floor right outside the Pinnacle on the day before eh cruise ended. It lasted about 30 minutes, The door to the Pinnacle had to be closed.

I can say that other than the expected wear and tear the ship looked pretty good for its age.

The food was some of the best we have had on HAL. The crew as usual was outstanding.

Hi Laminator. Thanks for your post. Regarding your friends with the cracked glass door: I remember another CC member posted that his balcony door on the Aug 19 Veendam voyage had cracked glass on his balcony door. He posted a photo in support of his post. I'm wondering if this was the same cabin that your friends were in, or if there is a broader problem with glass cracking on balcony doors on the Veendam?

Either the noted and documented broken glass on the balcony door was not repaired since August, or there is at least one other broken glass door. I wonder how a cabin with such a hazzard could be offered to passengers, what caused the breakage and why wasn't it repaired before passengers boarded?

Happy you enjoyed your voyage. -S.

Hi Laminator. Thanks for your post. Regarding your friends with the cracked glass door: I remember another CC member posted that his balcony door on the Aug 19 Veendam voyage had cracked glass on his balcony door. He posted a photo in support of his post. I'm wondering if this was the same cabin that your friends were in, or if there is a broader problem with glass cracking on balcony doors on the Veendam?

Either the noted and documented broken glass on the balcony door was not repaired since August, or there is at least one other broken glass door. I wonder how a cabin with such a hazzard could be offered to passengers, what caused the breakage and why wasn't it repaired before passengers boarded?

Happy you enjoyed your voyage. -S.

I remember seeing that picture. That piece of glass had several cracks in it. This was one long crack from the top of the door to the bottom so I do not believe it was the same one. I am no glass expert but with the wind we were experiencing on that cruise I was shocked the glass did not crack on our balcony door one day when it was closing as my wife was entering the cabin. The wind tunnel created was amazing and I had no chance of catching the door.

After that occurred there was a discussion amongst the group that we could easily see how it could happen. We believe it may have occurred on the prior cruise as they also experienced some rough weather.

After reading all of the poor reviews the Veendam received I must admit I was a little nervous. The temperature problems were slight and nothing that caused any serious inconvenience. None of our group had any problems with the plumbing in their rooms and I did not notice any of the public restrooms closed during the cruise that would have indicated trouble. The only plumbing trouble I was aware of was mentioned previously and it was fixed quickly.

My biggest disappointment with the ship was the design of whatever HAL calls the water area that it has on the back deck. I enjoy sitting at the bar and/or the tables and looking out over the water. The new design blocks a large majority of that view.

To me none of these were major issues and we had a wonderful time. As I stated earlier the food was some of the best food we have had on any HAL ship.

I remember seeing that picture. That piece of glass had several cracks in it. This was one long crack from the top of the door to the bottom so I do not believe it was the same one. I am no glass expert but with the wind we were experiencing on that cruise I was shocked the glass did not crack on our balcony door one day when it was closing as my wife was entering the cabin. The wind tunnel created was amazing and I had no chance of catching the door.

After that occurred there was a discussion amongst the group that we could easily see how it could happen. We believe it may have occurred on the prior cruise as they also experienced some rough weather.

After reading all of the poor reviews the Veendam received I must admit I was a little nervous. The temperature problems were slight and nothing that caused any serious inconvenience. None of our group had any problems with the plumbing in their rooms and I did not notice any of the public restrooms closed during the cruise that would have indicated trouble. The only plumbing trouble I was aware of was mentioned previously and it was fixed quickly.

My biggest disappointment with the ship was the design of whatever HAL calls the water area that it has on the back deck. I enjoy sitting at the bar and/or the tables and looking out over the water. The new design blocks a large majority of that view.

To me none of these were major issues and we had a wonderful time. As I stated earlier the food was some of the best food we have had on any HAL ship.

Hi Laminator. I'm no glass expert either, but I think glass on balcony doors should not be expected to crack/shatter due to wind, although it can happen in extreme seas...so can stress fractures over time, and when combined with reports of so many broken pipes, it becomes a concern.

Thankfully, the ship wasn't caught in high seas.

Glad you had a wonderful time. Thanks again for your report, -S.

Hi Laminator. I'm no glass expert either, but I think glass on balcony doors should not be expected to crack/shatter due to wind, although it can happen in extreme seas...so can stress fractures over time, and when combined with reports of so many broken pipes, it becomes a concern.

Thankfully, the ship wasn't caught in high seas.

Glad you had a wonderful time. Thanks again for your report, -S.

As usual I don't explain myself properly. The wind caused the door to slam extremely hard. My wife opened the cabin door while the balcony door was closing. I actually thought from the noise the glass shattered. It sounded like a cannon going off.

Sorry for the confusion.

As usual I don't explain myself properly. The wind caused the door to slam extremely hard. My wife opened the cabin door while the balcony door was closing. I actually thought from the noise the glass shattered. It sounded like a cannon going off.

Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, that's ok, I understood; it's happened to us too. My point was that the glass on the doors is supposed to withstand that impact...and more. When there's shattered glass on a balcony door, something went seriously wrong - the cause needs to be determined, and repair made asap. I don't know what caused the cracks in the doors on Veendam, but I sure hope someone is paying attention to the issue.

Archived