Opinions needed about which route to Port LIberty

maryred

I need a few opinions on which route I should print out for our son to drive us up to and back from the cruise port. He's only been on the full driver's license for 1.5 yrs and large, tall bridges with narrow lanes still make him nervous. We're coming up from the shore via the GSP north so should I print the:

1) most direct route that takes him over the Outerbridge Crossing on 440 to the Bayonne Bridge

2) the suggested route (by the computer) that takes him on 278 to the Goethals Bridge then to 440 for the Bayonne Bridge

or

3) the slightly longer way with fewer turns of taking the GSP to the Turnpike to whatever the bridge is at exit 14A to Bayonne?

I've personally have not had to drive any of these bridges recently and can't quite remember if any of these are steep or narrow laned. Remember it's the combination of the bridge height and narrow lanes that gets him. He's fine on the Driscoll Bridge (the bridge on the GSP near the Cheasequake rest stop) since they widened the lanes.

Aso what are the current tolls on which ever bridge(s) you suggest?

TIA

Your best bet is option 3...GSP to NJ Turnpike to Exit 14A. You avoid the three bridges that go to and from Staten Island, all of which are high and have narrow lanes...and it will be cheaper too because you avoid the high bridge tolls ($12) but pay only slightly more in NJ Turnpike tolls. The NJ Turnpike toll from Exit 11 to Exit 14A is $4.75, as opposed to $1.65 from Exit 11 to Exit 13 (for Goethals Bridge).

Your best bet is option 3...GSP to NJ Turnpike to Exit 14A. You avoid the three bridges that go to and from Staten Island, all of which are high and have narrow lanes...and it will be cheaper too because you avoid the high bridge tolls but pay slightly more in NJ Turnpike tolls. The NJ Turnpike toll from Exit 11 to Exit 14A is $4.75.

Ditto

Archived