To trolley or walking tour on own

mymi

Which is the best option. No problems walking.....hubby is 35 i am 30 and will have our 22 month old daughter....with stroller! :D Should we pay for the trolley or do it our self? May want to grab a light inexpensive lunch (taking input on where to eat) and must have a great slice of key lime pie. Two must stops....the southern most point and the butterfly conservatory. On the carnival conquest and will will be docking at pier b! Any input welcome!

I would say the main barrier to walking instead of riding would be the weather. If it is just too hot and humid or if it is raining, you may prefer to ride the trolley. Otherwise, I think you'll see more up close by walking, plus you can stop anywhere you please and check out interesting shops or sights along the way.

If you do the trolley, you will see more of the island, but the stops are limited.

I really like the Butterfly Conservatory and hope you will enjoy it too.

I would say the main barrier to walking instead of riding would be the weather. If it is just too hot and humid or if it is raining, you may prefer to ride the trolley. Otherwise, I think you'll see more up close by walking, plus you can stop anywhere you please and check out interesting shops or sights along the way.

If you do the trolley, you will see more of the island, but the stops are limited.

I really like the Butterfly Conservatory and hope you will enjoy it too.

Thanks for responding. It seems like everything is pretty much on duval st. Am I correct? We will be there in two weeks, so not sure what the weather has planned for us...we shall see. If everything that we want to see and do is on duval we may as well walk. How far is it from pier b to duval street? Sorry to bombard you with questions...you are the only one that has replied....

If you take the Old Town Trolley, you can get off at different stops and then wait for the next trolley to come by. We've been to Key West several times by boat and car. We saw more and learned new things along the way with the trolley than walking around for hours. We didn't buy our tickets on the ship since buying them at the trolley station located right in front of Mallory Square (on Duval) was a few dollars cheaper.

http://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/rates-and-reservations.asp

Thanks for responding. It seems like everything is pretty much on duval st. Am I correct? We will be there in two weeks, so not sure what the weather has planned for us...we shall see. If everything that we want to see and do is on duval we may as well walk. How far is it from pier b to duval street? Sorry to bombard you with questions...you are the only one that has replied....

I agree with HeavySurf in that most of the things you will be interested in on a cruise stop will be in the old town area. Duval St begins right at Front St where you will walk off and it is only about a mile and a quarter long.

A good overall stroll is to walk up Whitehead St (directly in front of the Westin Hotel) to the end at the Southernmost Point and then over one block and walk back down Duval St.

While walking back on Duval St. Mangoes in the 700 block is a great place for lunch.

Mike:)

We were in Key West for a couple days in June and walked everywhere. We are older than you and it was much hotter and more humid then than it will be in October, so I don't think you'll have any problem walking.

I concur that walking along Whitehead Street and returning along Duval Street makes a lot of sense. One place that we enjoyed touring was the Ernest Hemingway House (and I don't even like any of his writing). If you go, be sure to do the guided tour and then you can wander through the house and grounds again on your own. Your daughter will likely enjoy seeing all the cats, which you may pet but not pick up.

Thanks for the replies. We will be in Key West in 7 days. Does anyone have a link to a map for suggested walking tours? I'm game for seeing the same things without paying $40 for hubby and I to ride trolley...daughter is free. LOL!

Thanks for the replies. We will be in Key West in 7 days. Does anyone have a link to a map for suggested walking tours? I'm game for seeing the same things without paying $40 for hubby and I to ride trolley...daughter is free. LOL!

If you go on the City View trolley website they have a map on there that lists their stops, but it is also a good tool to use as a map of the interesting things you may want to see and where they are located.

We found it very helpful when planning our day......

Our first stop in Key West we walked all over. The second time we did a bicycle tour. So this time, our third visit, I think we'll do the trolley.

Any of the three is wonderful. Wait and see what the weather is like!

Archived