3 ships 8357 people

Wimpinthewater35

How crazy does roatan get with this many people

Ships are Norwegian Dawn, Crown Princess and MSC Poesia

I know MSC goes to coxen hole and I believe the other 2 go to mahogany bay.

We'll be on MSC so I'm guessing the general port area won't be busy but the beaches will be packed am I right???

NCL goes into Coxen Hole... Only Carnival and HAL go into mahogany bay

We'll be on MSC so I'm guessing the general port area won't be busy but the beaches will be packed am I right???

Your guessing wrong as you forget NCL Docks and has preference at Coxen Hole unless a big name RC ship is there first, The place will be bustling, taxis all over begging for business, the nice thing is, by 4 or so in the afternoon it will all be over

Carnival nd her family go to Mahogany Bay, weather permitting, Often they miss the port due to winds, The have at time then used Coxen Hole if it is empty or else it is a sea day, Funny how one cruiser is concerned about howmany cruisers will be visiting,

Why would you think it's funny? Roatan is very small! Basically, one main road around the island. I think it's a valid concern, and I'd be concerned as well, except I have a friend who lived in Roatan for 2 years. She says the only traffic issue they encountered was when someone was moving their herd of bulls. She could see ships at Coxen Hole from their terrace and has posted several to FB.

I would suggest you book with one of the private tour guides like Victor Bodden or Rony's. There are alot of areas of Roatan that you won't find crowds. It is a beautiful island. But, if what you want to do is hang out at one of the resorts on the beach most will most likely be crowded with that many people in port.

Google Victor Bodden and check out his website. If nothing else, it will show you some different options of things to do while you are in Roatan.

I was wondering the same thing. Carnival has three ships on the same itinerary when we cruise, one out of Legend from Tampa, Glory from (either Miami or Ft Lauderdale oh the details) and one from New Orleans which I didn't look much at. I didn't look at the other lines but can only imagine there will very likely be other ships in Roatan on the same day besides the three carnival ships

How crazy does roatan get with this many people

Ships are Norwegian Dawn, Crown Princess and MSC Poesia

I know MSC goes to coxen hole and I believe the other 2 go to mahogany bay.

Here is a picture of the beach with one ship in port. So I guess the crowd would be times 3.

100_4201.jpg.6164bb845198a6416f0266cc0538e001.jpg

Why would you think it's funny? Roatan is very small! Basically, one main road around the island. Actually NO,There is a main road running west to east BUT the coast road along Coxen Hole, Pensacola, Gravel Bay and Flowers Bay gets used by cruise ship traffic much more than the Sandy Bay Road I think it's a valid concern, and I'd be concerned as well, except I have a friend who lived in Roatan for 2 years. She says the only traffic issue they encountered was when someone was moving their herd of bulls, Well she is lying unless the two years she lived here were 10 yers ago, The Municipal has highly restricted cattle farming and very few make it to the road, Taxis far outnumber any cattle and on cruise days they can bottleneck the best roads on the Island. She could see ships at Coxen Hole from their terrace and has posted several to FB.

You must have mistaken me for someone with little knowledge of the Island

If there are ships at Mahagony Bay, MANY of those passengers will stay at M. Bay. As they will consider it a beach day at their "private beach." And they don't want to spend the time or money to visit West Bay. The more ships that port at M Bay, the better it is for cruisers wanting fewer foklks on the West Bay sands.

If looking for fewer crowds, head to West Bay immediately at disembarking and stake your chair and personal space.;) Cruisers on tours won't get to their beach stop time until late morning or after lunch.

You must have mistaken me for someone with little knowledge of the Island

She's only been back in the US for 1.5 years. And she has photos of that as well because she and her family thought it so funny. But I haven't mistaken you for someone kind and helpful, that's for sure.

When we were in Roatan last spring there were 3 ships in, with two at MB. The island did not seem particularly crowded at the beaches we stopped at nor on the roads in general (The MB beach did seem busy/crowded at least for a while).

True it's a small island with very rudimentary transportation infrastructure but even with 3 ships the number of guests hitting the road at any one time isn't going to be more than several hundred vehicles. That's equivalent to a large local high school letting out, or a small office complex at 5PM.

PS for what it's worth, we did have to wait a few seconds for (single) roaming animals on the road twice, and a little longer for a presumably mentally ill man (our driver didn't think we'd have needed to stop and made many comments about just driving past, but the cars in front had blocked the road while this man lurched around in the road shouting and gesticulating wildly).

• 2 weeks later...

So, how many ships fit in each area? During our cruise on the Carnival Dream, I see a port list that also has Celebrity Constellation, Carnival Magic and HAL Ryndham in port. It doesn't look like the google earth images are very up to date, so it looks like Mahogany Bay is still under construction. It looks like 2 ships can go there, and one ship at Coxen Hole from what I see.

So, how many ships fit in each area? During our cruise on the Carnival Dream, I see a port list that also has Celebrity Constellation, Carnival Magic and HAL Ryndham in port. It doesn't look like the google earth images are very up to date, so it looks like Mahogany Bay is still under construction. It looks like 2 ships can go there, and one ship at Coxen Hole from what I see.

Here's the port schedule page from the 'official' Mahogany Bay website. They can accomodate 2 ships I believe. http://www.mahoganybaycc.com/port-schedule.aspx

Archived