credit card reward points

HCTiger9704

Have you ever paid for a cruise with Credit Card reward points? If so, how does it exactly work? Can you pay part of it with reward points and the rest with the credit card?

I have an American Express Credit Card. I mainly used it when I order something online or when I am buying something that is worth over one hundred dollars or when I may need some extra prove that I paid for something (ex. medical bills). And I pay it off every week since I was taught that less you owe, the better off you are. I never used the reward points to pay for anything so I do not know anything about paying with them.

Go to the American Express web site. Check out travel topic and reward points redemption.

Another option with most credit cards, you can redeem your points for cash.

Before my last cruise I redeemed my points on American Express and Visa card for cash back. The check from visa and the travel check from AE was used to pay for my excursions on my cruise. You can cash the travel check on board without any fee.

My credit card VISA comes from my insurance company bank. I get points for every dollar charged to that credit card (and boy do I know how to get charges on the card!!). Every year I accumulate several hundred dollars of points and those points pay my insurance premiums with a simple transfer of funds online. Every credit card statement tells me how much I have "earned" and I can spend that on something other than insurance:) I particularly like this system because I will ALWAYS need the points to pay insurance policy (house car life and umbrella policies) and it is always to the same provider (the insurance company). Easy peasy. and no fees for the credit card!

My DH has a small business and I pay all his expenses with our credit card and pay the balance off in full every month. Less service charges at bank- transactions, cheques etc. We have a time share in Antigua and I always use our points to book our flights from Canada to the island. On this cruise which will be our first, I have booked our flights and hotel accommodations in San Juan using our points as well. Have never had any problems. It is a RBC Visa Card.

We put evert thing on our card in about one year we have enough points to get a free 7 day cruise. We have to pay the up charge for a balcony. If you can't pay thebill in full every month it's not worth it.

THAT IS SO IMPORTANT. IF EVEN ONE ITEM GOES OVER TO THE NEXT MONTH UNPAID THEN YOU START PAYING INTEREST FROM THE DAY OF TRANSACTION AND ON EVERYTHING. Also be sure to review the information coming from the credit card company. If the rules change you need to know and make a decision if this card is still a good decision for you. Points are not worth it if you are paying interest. It is a little bonus if offered and if you pay everything in full.

When we travel we do not use this point card. The 3% foreign exchange rate cancels the points. We use a Capital One with no foreign exchange fee. We get cash in local economy with an ATM card not a credit card.

Lastly when traveling you must notify all the card companies of your travel plans so that they don't freeze your account for foreign activity. And yes they do freeze after the first transaction if they can't reach you because you aren't home. :eek:

Lastly when traveling you must notify all the card companies of your travel plans so that they don't freeze your account for foreign activity. And yes they do freeze after the first transaction if they can't reach you because you aren't home. :eek:

My brother and sister-in-law had their credit card frozen on their honey moon because they did not notify their credit card companies of their travels. Luckly, they did notify their Visa one so they were still able to use that one.

Archived