Celebrity v Princess ?

We are platinum cruisers with Princess and we have been looking at our next adventure on this cruise line. Our prefernces are to minimise air flights and we like the cruises that call at mainly Aust. or NZ ports.

One appeal has been to re do the cruise we did a couple of years ago which was an over the top cruise between Sydney and Perth. Princess has both the SunP and Dawn P doing these and the cost for balcony cabin is about $4.5k.

However we have recently been enticed by an offering from Celebrity which has the Solstice (a ship only 4 years old compared with Sun/Dawn which are 3 times older) doing the Itinery for some $2k cheaper !!

To be succinct, we are looking at a 17 day cruise on Solstice in a mid class balcony (Veranda) for $150 per p/per night including cost of airfares from/to Bne and prepaid tips (grrr) .

Loyalty to Princess is very much stretched... any comments?

We too are giving Celebrity a try on Solstice. Unfortunately as much as we love Princess ( US) the cost factor has to come into it. AND its got to be better than the older Princess ships;) nothing ventured, nothing gained.

We too are platinum with princess. Tried Celebrity last year and found them to be better than Princess. Would not hesitate to go on either again but the best deal wins. The money saved can always go to another cruise in the future.

I am trying out Celebrity Solsitce to New Zealand next year. Loyalty means nothing to me anymore when price comes out at hard to resist deals. Why stick with the same old thing all the time? I am starting to think its time to explore more options and have a wider variety of ships and lines to try.

i just received an email today about free flights to Perth and 17 nights cruising to Sydney next february for $2349 for a balcony guarantee on the Celebrity Solstice

Yup, this is cruise we are looking at... total deal is:

• 17 Day cruise in a C3 Concierge Class Cabin with veranda
  • All Govt and port charges
  • All prepaid gratuities
  • US$250 OBC
  • Flights from Bne - Perth and Syd - Bne

All up cost (after allowing for OBC) is $5318 for us both

Princess is offering similar cruise (albeit in Sept 13) on SunP for about $9k and that does not include air fares (worth about $1k) :eek:

My TA says the Celebrity deal expires end of this week, so I have to decide which way to jump...and its probably a no brainer.

cheers

Yup, this is cruise we are looking at... total deal is:

• 17 Day cruise in a C3 Concierge Class Cabin with veranda
  • All Govt and port charges
  • All prepaid gratuities
  • US$250 OBC
  • Flights from Bne - Perth and Syd - Bne

All up cost (after allowing for OBC) is $5318 for us both

Princess is offering similar cruise (albeit in Sept 13) on SunP for about $9k and that does not include air fares (worth about $1k) :eek:

My TA says the Celebrity deal expires end of this week, so I have to decide which way to jump...and its probably a no brainer.

cheers

Hurry up and jump!

By the time you read this..... hope you've already booked Celebrity Solstice.. ;)

We LOVE Celebrity and have done enough cruises with them to give us Elite Captains Club status. Their benefits are better than Princess, in my opinion. We are Platinum with Princess.

Is your deal a last minute deal for this year, or is it 2013?

Jilly:)

By the time you read this..... hope you've already booked Celebrity Solstice.. ;)

We LOVE Celebrity and have done enough cruises with them to give us Elite Captains Club status. Their benefits are better than Princess, in my opinion. We are Platinum with Princess.

Jilly in what way is Celebrity benefits better compared to being Elite with Princess

I've been on Solstice (and Princess) and she is BEAUTIFUL.

A C3 concierge? Even better - get your status off to a flying start with the extra point and enjoy the extra amenities!!

Wish I had the leave to take advantage of that deal :D

Hope you're booked already ....

Jilly what i like about being Elite with Princess is the unlimited laundry not like Celebrity's one standard bag of laundry at a discounted price of $20 of cruises over 12 nights and Princess's internet is better not like Celebrity 90 minutes....but thats my opinion

I've been on Solstice (and Princess) and she is BEAUTIFUL.

A C3 concierge? Even better - get your status off to a flying start with the extra point and enjoy the extra amenities!!

Wish I had the leave to take advantage of that deal :D

Hope you're booked already ....

Don't forget you get 2 points for cruises over 14 days and this one is 17....

Hi All

Bit the bullet and booked 9296 which is a Concierge Class C2 cabin, on the "hump" about 68.7% of the way towards the aft.

If I have to pay $100 for 200 minutes internet that is fine - or even $200 for 500 minutes if necessary

My on line TA was very helpful.

Now getting very excited. Haven't been to Bali before so thats part of the attraction.

I am now retired from Sports Administration so I am only now involved with Shirley's Mortgage Brokering business which we can do mainly over the internet.

Just have to get someone to feed the bloody dogs!:cool:...and somehow we need to explain to Shirley's Bro in NZ that provisional plans to visit for his 60th birthday have now been superceded !

cheers

Hi All

Bit the bullet and booked 9296 which is a Concierge Class C2 cabin, on the "hump" about 68.7% of the way towards the aft.

If I have to pay $100 for 200 minutes internet that is fine - or even $200 for 500 minutes if necessary

My on line TA was very helpful.

Now getting very excited. Haven't been to Bali before so thats part of the attraction.

I am now retired from Sports Administration so I am only now involved with Shirley's Mortgage Brokering business which we can do mainly over the internet.

Just have to get someone to feed the bloody dogs!:cool:...and somehow we need to explain to Shirley's Bro in NZ that provisional plans to visit for his 60th birthday have now been superceded !

cheers

Congratulations, you have one of the best C2 cabins on the ship, with a large balcony. Very convenient to the elevators, which are not noisy at all.

Some of the Concierge Class perks are not of great value to us - like the rose in the bathroom, but the footstools provided on the balconies make the chairs very comfortable, we love them.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Archived