Jacksonville oceanfront hotel...any suggestions?

disneyden

We are cruising out of Jacksonville and are thinking about staying at an oceanfront hotel the night before our cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to stay? We don't need a park and cruise package because we are planning to park at or near the port. There are about 30 of us in our group and none of us have ever been to Jacksonville. We would love some suggestions on nightlife in Jacksonville as well.

From Jacksonville to the ocean front is about a 20-30+ minute drive :eek: -- you need to look in Mayport and Jacksonville Beach for ocean front hotels. It's been a while since I have stayed there, but the Sea Turtle Inn in Mayport used to be a very nice and well run ocean front hotel. Good luck! :)

The Sea Turtle Inn was completely gutted and refurbished a few years ago and is now One Ocean Resort. It's a beautiful hotel right on the beach. It is within walking distance of several restaurants and a little shopping. You would love it. I would highly recommend it! I think there is also a Best Western right on the beach in Jacksonville Beach. My DD lives in Jacksonville so we are out there at the beach often!

From Jacksonville to the ocean front is about a 20-30+ minute drive

20-30+ minute drive? :eek: Wow, I didn't realize that. I figured it was only about 10 minutes away. We might still do it anyway because we've never been to the beach in Jacksonville and who knows when we will make it back there.

The Sea Turtle Inn was completely gutted and refurbished a few years ago and is now One Ocean Resort. It's a beautiful hotel right on the beach. It is within walking distance of several restaurants and a little shopping. You would love it. I would highly recommend it! I think there is also a Best Western right on the beach in Jacksonville Beach. My DD lives in Jacksonville so we are out there at the beach often!

Funny you should say that...I was just looking at One Ocean Resort the other day and it did seem like a good choice. I still have time to decide, so I'll keep looking.

Thanks to both of you for responding. :)

Having grown up in Jacksonville, let me offer my opinion....

The beach area is fine, but not spectacular; the water is more of a muddy brown than a nice blue... You'll see better beaches on your cruise.

Re: distances; Jacksonville is a huge city area wise. Everything is spread out. It's about 15 miles from Atlantic Beach (the city where One Ocean Resort is) to the cruise port.

I'm assuming you will be coming in on I-10? You might consider looking at the hotels in downtown. The area is close to the Intersate. They have done a good job of renovating the waterfront, and there are a lot of options. It's still about 13 miles to the cruise port from there.

Take a look at maps.google.com ; plug in august drive, jacksonville,fl... That's the cruise port. Zoom out, and take a look at its location related to places you might be interested in.

Aloha,

John

The beach area is fine, but not spectacular; the water is more of a muddy brown than a nice blue... You'll see better beaches on your cruise.

Re: distances; Jacksonville is a huge city area wise. Everything is spread out. It's about 15 miles from Atlantic Beach (the city where One Ocean Resort is) to the cruise port.

I'm assuming you will be coming in on I-10? You might consider looking at the hotels in downtown. The area is close to the Intersate. They have done a good job of renovating the waterfront, and there are a lot of options. It's still about 13 miles to the cruise port from there.

Take a look at maps.google.com ; plug in august drive, jacksonville,fl... That's the cruise port. Zoom out, and take a look at its location related to places you might be interested in.

Aloha,

John

John,

Thank you for all of the information. We had thought about staying in the riverfront area and will probably revisit that option. Can you suggest any good places to stay? I would love to see the boat coming back into port.

Also, my DH has been teaching me how to play pool. Are there any good places in the downtown/riverfront area to shoot some pool? I must admit...I'm not very good and need the practice! :o

Thanks again! :)

Every time I go back, I stay with my mother, so I can't offer any advise on one hotel over another. :-)

Since I haven't lived in Jax recently, nor do I play pool, I don't have first hand knowledge, but I did do a Google search; There are a couple of places in decent neighborhoods,(e.g. Perfect Rack Billiards ) but I don't have first hand knowledge. Hopefully some else will jump in and answer.

Aloha,

John

20-30+ minute drive? :eek: Wow, I didn't realize that. I figured it was only about 10 minutes away. We might still do it anyway because we've never been to the beach in Jacksonville and who knows when we will make it back there.

Originally Posted by CGBCruiser viewpost.gif

Funny you should say that...I was just looking at One Ocean Resort the other day and it did seem like a good choice. I still have time to decide, so I'll keep looking.

Thanks to both of you for responding. :)

I concur that One Ocean Resort is your best choice for both the beach and nightlife. Jax Beach has several places as well, just a little more spread out.

We used to stay at the Comfort Inn Jax Beach a while back. It was (is) well, a beach hotel, but has everything you need to enjoy the stay. The walk to the area restaurants is a long one, it is doable if you like to walk.

jw:cool:

Aloha,

John

Just MHO...but I think their attempts to renovate the downtown area have failed. The Landing was nice at one time, but no more. It's just yucky! I'd stay out at Atlantic Beach any time over the downtown area.

I live in Jacksonville Beach. Here's my thoughts. One Ocean is a highly thought of hotel right in the heart of the Atlantic Beach/Neptune Beach Town Center, lots going on there. Since you mentioned pool, one of the oldest continuously operating bars in the US of A is a block away, Pete's bar, a true beach bar with about a dozen pool tables and other games (est 1933 and appears to have never been renovated!!!). Caution, a golf polo shirt is WAY too dressed up for this establishment. Wear your flip flops and tank top and order your $2 PBR tall boys. A true destination place.

Alternatively, Jax beach has five beachfront hotels (four on the ocean and one a block away) Probably about $50-75 bucks cheaper, or more, but good places (Quality Suites, Best Western, Comfort Inn, Fairfield Inn and Marriott). About 30 bars and restaurants within walking distance (the long walk referred to above is about 9 blocks, and the first two are right in the heart of the entertainment district). There are three or four pool halls within a mile of downtown jax beach, none scary.

I live in Jacksonville Beach. Here's my thoughts. One Ocean is a highly thought of hotel right in the heart of the Atlantic Beach/Neptune Beach Town Center, lots going on there. Since you mentioned pool, one of the oldest continuously operating bars in the US of A is a block away, Pete's bar, a true beach bar with about a dozen pool tables and other games (est 1933 and appears to have never been renovated!!!). Caution, a golf polo shirt is WAY too dressed up for this establishment. Wear your flip flops and tank top and order your $2 PBR tall boys. A true destination place.

Alternatively, Jax beach has five beachfront hotels (four on the ocean and one a block away) Probably about $50-75 bucks cheaper, or more, but good places (Quality Suites, Best Western, Comfort Inn, Fairfield Inn and Marriott). About 30 bars and restaurants within walking distance (the long walk referred to above is about 9 blocks, and the first two are right in the heart of the entertainment district). There are three or four pool halls within a mile of downtown jax beach, none scary.

I TOTALLY agree with you!

Thanks for the info! ;)

Thanks for the info! ;)

You may also want to check out going a little north, and going to Amelia Island. Not really sure of the nightlife there, but a nice beach, and some neat places. I love Horizon's for dinner!

Aloha,

John

It is more than 15 miles....more like 25

Archived