Best way to get to Singapore Zoo

Hard-habit-to-break

Hi

We will be in Singapore in October and plan to go to the Zoo. I have had a look at tripadvisor and Viator, but neither of them offers what we want to do.

We would like to spend a few hours late afternoon at the Zoo, have dinner and then do the Night Safari.

It appears that most trips that you can book do one or the other, not both.

So, what is the best way to get to the Zoo? We are staying at the Copthorne Kings Hotel on Havelock Street. Would taxi to the Zoo and be back be the easiest?

Thanks.

I lived in Singapore for a year and still work there regularly. I agree with Keith because taxi's are very affordable in Singapore. It's a fairly long way to the zoo (well, in the context of Singapore it's a long way - the whole place isn't that big). It is possible to get there by a combination of MRT and bus, but it's a hassle if you don't know the place: perfectly safe, entirely do-able and cheap, but a hassle nonetheless.

We went by taxi in March,with a driver called David, he asked us if we wanted him to pick us up after, we said ok..2 pm.

We went to the meeting place at 1.30 thinking we would have to wait for him, and he was already there.,just waiting for us.

He gave my husband a present of portable chopsticks/knife and fork in a container, as my husband is also a cab driver.

He even took us to the airport and came in and waved us goodbye..

Lyn..this is off the subject but saw your post..did you ever meet up with the taxi in Santorini this past May when we were all on the Nautica?

We ended up having to take donkeys up to meet our guide to go to Arkotiri! We were able to take the cable car down later on.

Sherry & Kimber

Hi Mexfolkart. I can't remember exactly what happened with you and I, did we meet up or was that when i was unwell - we had 45 days and I always get confused with CC names versus real names.

No, we didn't get that taxi (we called and cancelled via the concierge I think, due to the cable car thing) however we had the best day ever in Santorini. I am terrified of donkeys (I know, weird right) so we walked up. It nearly killed me but now I look back on the photos of what I managed to do I am so proud of myself. Then we got a local cab to Oia, had lunch and walked around, and got another random taxi back. It worked out to be significantly cheaper and we got to do exactly what we wanted. I took so many beautiful photos, it was probably the highlight of the cruise for us. And how was the weather the day after huh? That was pretty cool too.

We're off again on Seabourne Odyssey in December ")

I was just in Singapore a few weeks ago and took the MRT and bus. The ride on the bus was about an hour each way and had to stand the whole time. Tried to take a taxi back to the MRT station from the Night Zoo and taxi refused to take us because they only wanted to go back to town. It was over 13km back to the MRT station, but they said that was too close, take a bus.

There is a bus that runs from several hotels in town to the zoo and back. It leaves from the night zoo back to town at 22:25. In fact if you do a search on the internet you will probably find several.

If you want to save some money try MRT and bus there and take taxi back at night when you will be tired from all that walking.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Singaporean and I wouldn't take the MRT then bus to the zoo. The Taxi would really be your best bet.

It's really hot and humid here and the walk from your hotel to the station that looks entirely doable on the map can really sap your energy and the zoo is really very far out of the city and you may be standing all the way in the train.

You'd want to save your energy to walk around the zoo.

There are restaurants in both the Zoo and Night Safari (run by the same company and adjoining each other).

If you want to save money and you still have the energy after your visit, then you take public transport back to your hotel. The buses and trains will be less busy then and you'll get a seat and its much cooler and easier to walk around at night.

Archived