Seven mile beach - free of buildings area?

Wimpinthewater35

How far north from the port is an area of the beach that isn't part of a resort, condo or restaurant.

Basically a place where the taxi can drop us off and we can see the the water from the road and get to it without walking through or around a building and be on the beach.

Don't need a lounge chair or umbrella towel on the sand is fine.

I think Sea Grape/Public Beach might be the closest? You still have to walk through a parking lot, but there's no buildings to walk around. Or maybe Governor's Beach? You still have to walk though a park area to get to the beach, and I'm not sure if you can see the water from the road but I know there's no building there.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to see the beach from the road?

Yes Seagrape was the only other public beach we saw besides Cemetery. If you aren't doing another excursion I would rent a car and drive to Rum Point. Nice 45 min drive, rental is very inexpensive if your credit card covers the insurance, and Rum Point is a beautiful spot to lime. Starfish Point is also nearby.

While not technically part of Seven mile Beach, Smith Cove Bacedere is another building free spot, visible from the road. Small, but very picturesque beach located on the southern side of George Town, 3 minutes by cab from the cruise terminal (must arrange a pick-up since bus service usually skips this route). Bathroom, picnic tables, trash bins, OK snorkeling, can walk to Grand Old House or Sunset House/My Bar. Not good when seas are rough.

Smith Cove Images

we stopped there while driving to East End, smaller than I expected and filled with locals, it was around 5PM. I'm told the snorkeling is excellent off to the right and further out but you must be an excellent swimmer.

The area around Eden Rock is also highly regarded but it's close to town of course...

You can see the water from the road along most of 7-Mile beach...it's fairly narrow! If you don't wish to rent loungers, then you can amble about until you find that perfect spot!

Actually, since most of the beach is lined with hotels and condos, you can't actually see water from the road in most areas of SMB. You can sometimes catch a glimpse of water between buildings, or there's the aforementioned public access points that are wider than a narrow path.

There are a few beaches about 10 to 15 mins from the port. Royal Palms has a nice beach there is also a restaurant / bar, pool area and watersport rentals. The Public Beach or Tiki beach are also nice and have small restaurants. All three beaches have easy access to transportation back to the port. These three are the most popular beaches that taxi pick up and dropp off at.

If you are looking for a beach with out those ammenities you could ask your taxi driver to drop you off at a beach access or they may have some other suggestions.

Archived