Channel 4, Monday 01 October 20:00, Cruises Undercover: The Truth Below Deck

We can all do our bit to lighten the load. We always tidy up the cabin and bathroom before we leave for the day, that way the staff just need to do a quick vac and wipe round. We do the same in hotels as well and always make our own beds.:)

Jan

We can all do our bit to lighten the load. We always tidy up the cabin and bathroom before we leave for the day, that way the staff just need to do a quick vac and wipe round. We do the same in hotels as well and always make our own beds.:)

Jan

Same here, wherever we stay... ships, hotels - even caravans too....would feel uneasy if we left any mess or untidy beds behind.

Jan

Ditto. Never make bed on last day as I know they have to be stripped down. I even take hanging air fresheners for shower room and cabin. Have you seen the state some people leave their cabins?:eek: Don't know how they manage to move around or even find anything with all the stuff that's seen lying around. I'd be so embarrassed I'd be dodging the cabin stewards. Wonder if they're like that at home or just think the crew are their servants.:eek:

:)

Jan

I don't even make my own bed in the house.:eek:

Jan

completely with you on this one jan I would be ashamed to leave my room looking like a tip I try to make it accessible as possible for them although i suspect some may have the attitude of I am on holiday or they get paid to do it without us they wouldnt have a job. some people are unbelievable!!

It is clear that Thomson's no tips policy means that they cannot be operating the tips scam that Celebrity operate. I have seen waiting staff ashore when I have been on cruises and one Russion cocktail waitress told me her favourite stop was Palamos and she liked to visit the beach. This means that they as well as entertainers and shop staff do get days off. Prima face evidence would seem to suggest that Thomson are better than Celebrity in these two important respects.

I have been told that some of the Fillipino waiters are not only able to support families but finance businesses and early retirements from their pay from working on Thomson ships. I see the same waiters year after year so I ask myself would they keep coming back of Thomson were so bad. But perhaps the answer is that they are desperate and this is not good but better than all the other options open to them.

I would like to comfort myself by thinking that Thomson, and thus vicariously I, am not exploiting these wonderful people who look after us on our holidays. I might be right but there is one thing that worries me. The enormous thundering silence from Thomson where there should be a statement saying that they do not exploit their staff with examples given.

I would like Thomson to make a clear unequivocal statement that they treat their staff well stating the time off given and salaries paid to waiters, bar staff, housekeeping staff etc. If you are reading this Thomson please respond.

Interesting official statement from Celebrity on facebook, according to other site.

While Celebrity Cruises is disappointed to hear the concerns stated by the journalist (Mr. Myles) regarding his short time working onboard, we don’t believe these are representative of the more than 13,000 satisfied shipboard employees who deliver memorable holidays for our guests.

I suspect those "13,000 satisfied shipboard employees" might be very similar to the happy, prosperous and contented population of North Korea !!!

Archived