Missing updates

DebbieMH

I guess I'm guilty of living vicariously through Hondorner's posts while on board the AQ. I miss them! If anyone on cc is or has recently been on board, please post reviews. Lots of us are interested! Thanks

We were on the Boat on Aug 9 for the PTV hosted sailing from New Orleans to Memphis, Tn.

Looking at your past and future sailings I see Crystal and Regent. We are Gold + on Regent and after our first and only sailing on Crystal, would never go again.

Your post prompted me to really reflect on our Steamboat experience. No one may agree with us, but you did open the door for a review.

We have been cruising for better than 45 years and have pretty much been all over. At least to all the places we have wanted to go.

We knew nothing about Steamboats, but when PTV sent us an email announcing this venture, we signed on, as we were with the PTV group on Regent last November from Venice to Rome and loved it.

Our Steamboat sailing was different. We are quite active physically in addition to spending much time reading. We are not involved with antiquities except in an historical sense.

We won't even discuss the low water problems caused by nature as we have experienced them all over.

The biggest disappointment was the cost as related to the accomodations and service and for us, the dismal ports we encountered. It was nice to visit the real South but it certainly didn't turn us on. From the little we saw, the Civil War hasn't really ended.

We were impressed with how hard the staff tried to please but the results didn't begin to approach the cost to watch them learn their trade...on our nickel, if you will. Awfully nice people but again, for the price we paid, we were quite disappointed.

Although we had a B cabin with what was called a verandah, this was nothing more than a pair of french doors that opened out to a walking deck. Virtually no privacy. The cabin was so poorly configured and the furniture was so old and bulky, that most of the space was not useable.

Again, this is us...we felt that for this kind of money, we wanted a measure of luxury...

I know the food was true Southern cooking, but nostalgia doesn't always replace quality, and if people always eat like this, it's no wonder there is so much obesity. The servers, and they were nice people, really had no idea of how to serve...a few decent experiences, but mostly somewhat chaotic. Again, and I must repeat this, we expected a far better quality for the price we paid. The wines they offered were of dubious quality.(we're spoiled).

Yes, it was nice sitting outside cruising on the river, but after a while, boredom set in. Seems like we got as much out of reading Mark Twain.

We like comfortable seating for our reading, but the period furniture was not too comfortable for us.

On the plus side, having lived one of my lives in the world of music, the house band was one of the better ones on any cruise line we have been on. Great for dancing and superb backing for the shows. The rest of the entertainment was Civil War related and after a while it too got boring.

Since our interest was PTV, the lectures and films were just what we wanted.

Listening and speaking with the Riverlorian was an absolute highlight. Not a whole lot he didn't know and knew how to explain it to everyone so well.

Although we're well up in years, we are fortunate that our minds and bodies and taste buds still function quite well..

I'm sure most of the people liked or will like the experience, but for us, this was certainly a one time thing.

So, DebbieMH, I'll bet you're sorry you ever asked for this in your post.;)

We were on the Boat on Aug 9 for the PTV hosted sailing from New Orleans to Memphis, Tn.

Looking at your past and future sailings I see Crystal and Regent. We are Gold + on Regent and after our first and only sailing on Crystal, would never go again.

Your post prompted me to really reflect on our Steamboat experience. No one may agree with us, but you did open the door for a review...<snip>...but for us, this was certainly a one time thing.

So, DebbieMH, I'll bet you're sorry you ever asked for this in your post.;)

Hi, Burris, of course I'm not Debbie, but I'm not sorry you posted your thoughts. What they point out is that river cruising an an old-fashioned steamboat, furninshed as authentically as possible, may not be everyone's "cup of tea". Your opnions are certainly valid, and may give pause to someone who may feel much the same way, helping them to avoid disappointment.

For us, the furnishings were much like the antiques we have at home, the ports were fascinating especially from the perspective of the welcomes proffered by the residents, the river was endlessly entertaining (especially when contrasted with an unending ocean view), and perhaps the staff learned their lessons while practicing on you, because we felt the service was excellent.

As you know, we were on the cruise immediately after yours, seeing the same ports but in the reverse ditrection, and with much of the same onboard itninerary except the PBS folks were gone. We enjoyed it so much we booked again for next year, and have already picked our desired cabins for at least two more voyages in subsequent years.

I know this was a new experience for both of us, and I know you searched as diligently as possible for advance information, but because of the newness, we could both only rely on our personal experience. Each of us, in relating our differing conclusions, will help potential guests make a decision about how the boat will fit them and vice versa.

I'm still hoping to meet you -- Regent may be out of our financial reach; maybe you'll get the urge to try Oceania!

Responder-I'm fine with your review. Probably brings me down to earth a bit! As far as the history stuff, the old furniture, southern food, all that is right down my alley. I work in lower Alabama and LIVE in New Orleans. my husband and I are licensed Tour Guides in New Orleans (for fun and eventual retirement income).

On another note, I'm sorry Crystal didn't work out for you. We have always enjoyed our Crystal cruises, as you can tell by the signature. We havent cruised as much as you have, but we are looking forward to cruising to places we actually know, and just doing it on a steamboat!

Again, thanks for your insights.

Responder-I'm fine with your review. Probably brings me down to earth a bit! As far as the history stuff, the old furniture, southern food, all that is right down my alley. I work in lower Alabama and LIVE in New Orleans. my husband and I are licensed Tour Guides in New Orleans (for fun and eventual retirement income).

On another note, I'm sorry Crystal didn't work out for you. We have always enjoyed our Crystal cruises, as you can tell by the signature. We havent cruised as much as you have, but we are looking forward to cruising to places we actually know, and just doing it on a steamboat!

Again, thanks for your insights.

I'm glad both you and Don took it in the context it was presented.

I had made some posts along the way and they were specific as to likes and dislikes.

What I am discovering is that if one is tuned into the world of antiques, this would be perfect. We are at opposite poles....all modern, typically from Scandinavia and Italy. Maybe that explains it.

Don, we are considering Oceania and may cross paths there. Regent is our favorite, but unless they come up with some new routes that we haven't experienced too many times, we will rethink.

Also we are aware that in a great number of aspects in our lives, we are becoming either bored or dis-interested in many things that other find relevant.

For example, although we were excited about studying the Civil War, it was in all the papers you know, :) we quickly got distressed with the visiting of the battlefields that represented death and destruction to us. Others took the trips to every one and loved it.

As I mentioned, we were quite relaxed sailing on the river but after a while got bored. Being as old as we are, we have the luxury of sitting at home and looking out over the ocean while reading or napping.

Don, As I calculated...by the time we added the gratuities...drinks...air fare...taxis to and from, we could have taken a trip on Regent. Besides the theme and PBS, after our almost 30 day trip last November and the chaos we see going on in Europe and the Mediterranean, that we weren't going over seas in 2012. All of that pointed us to the Steamboat.

And again, it was an experience for us, something we hadn't done before, but it's like trying a food you haven't eaten before and decide that it's not for you. That doesn't mean that others feel the same way.

Don, I,m thrilled that you had that great a time and I hope that DebbieMH, if she goes, has the same wonderful experience.

ciào

Responder,

Your review is more than fair and obviously steamboating is not your cup of tea!

We all know the prices are higher but for certain reasons (US crew, unions, you need more licensed crew to operate a steamboat than a diesel boat). And it´s normal that you try to compare with a cruise line at the same price level. But of course this is not possible as an ocean going cruise line can operate much cheaper and therefore offer more luxury for the same price.

steamboats

I just started looking at the postings for the AQ. We are planning a trip in 2013. In 2004 we sailed the Mississippi Queen from New Orleans to Natchez and back to NO. It was stinking hot, but we still had a great trip. In 2005 we sailed on the Delta Queen from St Paul to St Louis. Absolutely fantastic! We skipped a year, and went to the northwest on the Columbia River aboard the Queen of the West. Also Fantastic. When we heard that the DQ was sailing its last season in 2008 we booked 11 nights from Nashville to Pittsburgh. This trip was beyond fantastic.

In two of the past three years we sailed on standard mid-size cruise ships (Oceania's) in northern Europe (London to Stockholm) and in southern Europe (Barcelona to Rome and then after a few days there, we flew to Athens).

Obviously the steamboats/sternwheelers are not as plush as the Oceania ships and the ports of call are not as ancient. But we long for a little more peaceful trip and were thrilled when we heard that the AQ was sailing again.

We are looking at either one of the Memphis to New Orleans (or reverse) trips or the Memphis to Chattanooga trip in 2013. Just waiting for our travel agent to get back to us.

So I will keep looking at this thread, plus the others related to the AQ and hopefully connect with someone on the same cruise.

Roger

Archived