Transatlantic Alone-QM2 Advice

wack001

Cunard was the only crossing in December... I will... look at another line for another time.
Try to look spring and autumn when ordinary cruise lines do "postioning cruises" to move their cruise ships from/to the Med or Caribbean. They can take over a week, sometimes two, to cross, maybe stopping at various islands along the way. I'm sure you'll enjoy the holiday atmosphere, more of a traditional-style cruise, lots of casual dress codes on almost all.

However, as you have found during your homework, and mention above, there is only ONE line which provides an extensive transatlantic passenger service of regular non-stop crossings from Europe to America and return; Cunard.

Whilst not all year round, other than obtaining a cabin on a commercial freighter, or waiting for a positioning cruise, Cunard is The Only Way To Cross.

If you wish to follow your "I paid my money" argument, there are plenty of white cruise ships; you have a world of choice. However there is one line that many choose because it is different from all the rest, and surely you can allow that with so much choice available to you, you won't mind there being one line that isn't really you; Cunard.

Have a good flight :) .

I have been lurking this post and finally had to throw in two cents worth. I also work in a non formal environment. My summer wear is polo shirt, shorts, and boat shoes. For winter add jeans and a leather jacket. When I travel on Cunard, I schlep the tux along (in a carry on) and fully enjoy the ambiance of which I become a part. Yes, times are changing-they always do but I do not understand the inflexible attitude of the OP. If anything these days, flexibility is more and more necessary. But, if I were lucky enough to be invited to, say, Augusta to play golf and was told I needed a green sport coat in order to drink at the bar, assuming I wanted to go there, I would darned well get myself to the green sport coat store.:D:D Same goes for Cunard. It is what it is and why bother to try and swim against that current? Just go somewhere you prefer more.:D

Well...if you can swing departure on the 1st, you could arrive at FLL on the 16th via a few stops in the Med and the Canaries on the new Celebrity Silhouette (released 2011). If you haven't done X Solstice class, it's pretty sweet. :cool:

Oh wack001, this struggle to be a free spirit!

You wear, as you say, long sleeve white shirts with ties when you meet "the executives." Why? A sign of respect, the expected done thing? So you probably will be doing this your remaining work years. So it is on a Cunard transatlantic ocean crossing. Dress for men most evenings throughout the ship after 6 pm is coat and tie. It's the done thing. No one objects or cares to do anything else.

Yes, rules are rules, but times are changing and the world is changing as you say; however on the higher playing fields this is just not so. Certain codes and senses of order will always be followed. So don a jacket and tie and enjoy a crossing. If you must remain tuxedo-resistant, a dark suit & tie will suffice. Or bag your dinning room on necktie nights only; then use the one section open for casual dinning in Kings Court on Deck 7. The two for-fee spaces will expect the same dress style as the main dinning rooms.

Many of the above postings offer you good advice, seem encouraging for you to cross, seem on target to me. Read them again. Reconsider. After reading your blogs I'd say you'd be fun to sit with at dinner. No doubt you've great travel stories. But this resistance to wearing a jacket and tie … well, perhaps you are one it'd be nice to get away from. But do not deny yourself the adventure of a Cunard crossing! You'd be not on another cruise ship, but an actual ocean liner. Think of the blog you could do!

No wonder they are offering this cruise at rock bottom prices, in 26 cruise I have never seen a flip or T-shirt at dinner except for once when a family luggage never made it to a 10N Baltic cruise. Rules are rules but times are changing and the world is changing, no mention of what I do but I do work for some high powered companies and the suit and tie are a thing of the past.. oh well let others enjoy and thank you all for opening my eyes, Cunard was the only crossing in December(I do my homework). I will buy my business class ticket and look at another line for another time.

http://www.cruisinbob.com

I can tell you now that suits and ties are back with a vengeance. The corporate world is all about bespoke at the moment and the choices are numerous.

The IT led dressing down has died off. Look at the people coming and going from major CBD buildings in any global city, look at the fashion magazines: suits and ties (and nice dress shoes) are IN.

I'm about to book a fitting appointment for the tux I want for my upcoming voyage. And will organise the purchase of a new dark suit. I need the latter for work anyway!

Rules are rules but times are changing and the world is changing, no mention of what I do but I do work for some high powered companies and the suit and tie are a thing of the past.. oh well let others enjoy and thank you all for opening my eyes,

I bet you've been saying that since the 70's.

Sounds to me like you will be miserable every evening in your Dockers and polo. There is also no water slide or rock climbing wall on QM2 either. You should probably avoid QM2 and wear the "cloths" you like on a nice airplane instead

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I just simply think that we owe it to this beautiful and sophisticated ship to be dressed in a way that she deserves and which corresponds to her. For me, it is a pleasure to walk around and see tastefully dressed people. :)

Me Too, That's the very reason why I am going on QM2 for sophistication, class, elegance & fabulous cocktails too-boot!!! When I walk the decks & dine I want to look around and see that we still have some of the old way of doing things accompanied with manners, integrity, morals, well-being, politeness & etiquette.

Oh wack001, this struggle to be a free spirit!

You wear, as you say, long sleeve white shirts with ties when you meet "the executives." Why? A sign of respect, the expected done thing? So you probably will be doing this your remaining work years. So it is on a Cunard transatlantic ocean crossing. Dress for men most evenings throughout the ship after 6 pm is coat and tie. It's the done thing. No one objects or cares to do anything else.

Yes, rules are rules, but times are changing and the world is changing as you say; however on the higher playing fields this is just not so. Certain codes and senses of order will always be followed. So don a jacket and tie and enjoy a crossing. If you must remain tuxedo-resistant, a dark suit & tie will suffice. Or bag your dinning room on necktie nights only; then use the one section open for casual dinning in Kings Court on Deck 7. The two for-fee spaces will expect the same dress style as the main dinning rooms.

Many of the above postings offer you good advice, seem encouraging for you to cross, seem on target to me. Read them again. Reconsider. After reading your blogs I'd say you'd be fun to sit with at dinner. No doubt you've great travel stories. But this resistance to wearing a jacket and tie … well, perhaps you are one it'd be nice to get away from. But do not deny yourself the adventure of a Cunard crossing! You'd be not on another cruise ship, but an actual ocean liner. Think of the blog you could do!

Thank you for taking time and reading my blog, it is a labor of love and North Vietnam is the next adventure and then a motorcycle ride to Hue.

Still thinking about it and appreciate the fine comment.

cruisinbob.com

I sense a wind up! 26 cruises but can't understand the difference of dress codes on Ships.

So do I:rolleyes: These type of threads appear almost weekly!

I don't think the OP will be turned away. A german guy at the next table to us dined every night in a short black leather bomber type jacket.

Wack001.. If this isn't a wind up then get a dvd of Downton Abbey and if this dvd appeals to you then you are on track to liking the Cunard line, although it isn't zipped up so tightly. You will need a dark suit for formal evenings and/or a jacket and pants for the other evenings if you wish to dine in the formal dining rooms. I know this put a lot of people off and they then dine in the Kings Court.

You may enjoy the voyage, you may not. No guaratees. It appeals to the older traveller, in gereral. We are not experts on this forum, but I think you have been given some good advice in my opinion. Good luck whatever you decide.

Wack001.. If this isn't a wind up then get a dvd of Downton Abbey and if this dvd appeals to you then you are on track to liking the Cunard line,

What is a 'wind up'?

Thank you.

An approximate American equivalent to "wind up" is when we say someone is "pulling your leg". Hope this helps.

Regards,

John.

Wack001.. If this isn't a wind up then get a dvd of Downton Abbey and if this dvd appeals to you then you are on track to liking the Cunard line,

An approximate American equivalent to "wind up" is when we say someone is "pulling your leg". Hope this helps.

Regards,

John.

Yes, thank you, John!

I thought that might be it but usually someone who does that doesn't have so many posts and hasn't written so many reviews of the ships they have sailed. His reviews are very helpful.

Perhaps, in this case...he just hates suits:eek:

After reading some of wack001's reviews, I do hope he will reconsider, grab a jacket and take the beautiful Queen Mary 2. If a person loves ships, they will love this lady.

• 1 month later...

I am surfing these threads to get some idea of what will be expected when we take our very first cruise which will be with the Cunard line.

My thoughts on this is we are all individuals and we all have that freedom of choice and the freedom to make decisions.

I have NEVER been to a nudist type beach and would never want to go to one but if I did then I guess wearing my birthday suit would be the order of the day.

I hate tennis and would NEVER go to watch a game.. my choice, my decision.

I enjoy playing football but when the referee says foul, then it is a foul. If I do not like the rules, then I would not play the game. I doubt I would make many friends if I tried telling everyone the rules to this game are plain wrong and need to be changed. it is my choice to play and when I play I HAVE TO COMPLY with the rules of this enjoyable game.

I am taking a cruise on the Cunard line and before stepping aboard the ship I consider it plain good manners to make sure I play the game in the way it is expected of me and would it be bad manners if I were to give the finger to rules\codes that others have agreed to and might expect?

Why are we even making an issue about this dress code. if we disagree with it then speak with your money and take your custom elsewhere... Why go out of your way to perhaps cause offence or at the very least embarrassment... Embarrassment for the underpaid, overworked person that might have to respectfully ask you to wear the proper attire?

I fear this says more complainant than it does the dress codes.

I have NEVER worn a tuxedo, my wife has never worn an evening dress but when in Rome we will be doing what the Romans do.

Have a nice cruise or flight but is life too short to go out of our way to make an unnecessary fuss?

Glojo, both you and your wife will love it. It is part of the splendour of Cunard to dress up and strut your stuff. As you say, if you don't want to play by the rules, don't join the game.
I am sure we will enjoy ourselves and three cheers to everyone that makes the effort to look their best. My sister is a very reserved shy lady and I was amazed when I saw the photograph of her and her husband all dressed up in their first ever formal attire. Prior to that cruise she had said 'No way could I ever wear and evening dress' That photograph is now one of her most treasured possessions :)

I just hope Wack0001 enjoys the experience and accepts it for what it is. Like minded folks enjoying a jovial evening in pleasant surroundings who hopefully will be enjoying each others company.

Would anybody object if he were to wear a pair of Mickey Mouse socks as to me this can be a subtle rebellious act that might be seen as humorous?? As long as the person is otherwise fully clothed ;):) Now where are my socks

Archived