Insurance: Am I allowed to suggest a good provider?

room010

Just to mention that Covermore, and more than likely most/all other insurance providers, do not cover for American Airlines (and quite a few others) as from Nov 2011. It is not in their initial fine print as such, or their booklet re conditions... but is deep within their online site. Quite legal of course, but very easy to be missed. Reason is that AA applied for a section 11 bankruptcy last year. Doesn't mean they are bankrupt as yet, but the bottom line is that there is no cover for them at all.

I have found that most insurance companies will no longer cover for insolvency. Just something to keep in mind for overseas travel. ie ask what companies they do not cover.

We had our last travel insurance with NRMA, it sounded good as they covered for cancellation if a senior family member over 80 had illness etc & this prevented you travelling. Both our parents are over 80, so this was something we needed to consider.

But pre existing illness is not included of course, but this also means if they have a stroke for example & had high blood pressure, you are not covered.

Any illness possibly resulting from another pre existing condition is not covered.

Also, I lost a ring onbard, I had owned it for over a decade so had no reciept of purchase etc, so they didn't want to cover me for the loss.

Technically this also applies to luggage etc, so if you can't prove ownership of your clothing lost they are not obliged to pay you for it I was told.

Read the fine print & ask lots of questions is my advice before taking out any insurance.

Just to mention that Covermore, and more than likely most/all other insurance providers, do not cover for American Airlines (and quite a few others) as from Nov 2011. It is not in their initial fine print as such, or their booklet re conditions... but is deep within their online site. Quite legal of course, but very easy to be missed. Reason is that AA applied for a section 11 bankruptcy last year. Doesn't mean they are bankrupt as yet, but the bottom line is that there is no cover for them at all.

I have found that most insurance companies will no longer cover for insolvency. Just something to keep in mind for overseas travel. ie ask what companies they do not cover.

Mmmm, interesting that as American Airlines is part of One World, a Qantas partner.

I was not aware they were short of a quid.

The things we learn on CC, that is why it is a great site.

Mmmm, interesting that as American Airlines is part of One World, a Qantas partner.

I was not aware they were short of a quid.

The things we learn on CC, that is why it is a great site.

Yes, they are a part of the One World Alliance. Prob easier to google this chapter 11 bankruptcy, rather than me attempt to explain:), but I will give it a go. The USA use this system often to reorganise a company, one that has debt issues. From what I have been told, the other One Alliance partners are prob keeping AA afloat atm. The bottom final result usually is either a takeover (most probable outcome), or full final bankruptcy. Lots of companies filed for this chapter 11, particularly after the world financial crash. Lehman Bros did originally, plus lots of other USA based airlines (We were amazed at the list). I believe it is a common thing over there, and happens all the time. Very different laws to Oz.

We are lucky in the fact that our tickets are Qantas, and codeshare with AA. Means that if there was 'trouble', then Qantas simply change our internal USA flights to one of the other alliance airlines. However, if we had of booked fully with AA, then no insurance (here or in the USA) will cover for flights. That alone could result in a huge loss of money if flights are cancelled. atm their issues are maintenance related, hence loads of flights being cancelled, all without insurance coverage.

We are now not worried at all though....particularly now we understand this chapter 11 clause...simply letting others know of this non coverage fact when they look for insurance and booking airfares within the states. Ask the insurance company for a list of providers they do not cover, before booking the air.

Does that mumbojumbo make sense Les?:)

Archived