Princess Helicoptor, Glacier, Dog Sledding tour in September

cflutist

We have been to Alaska many times now, but always early in the season (usually in May).

Does anyone know if Princess offers the Helicoptor, Glacier Landing, and Dog Sledding (on ice/snow, not dirt) tour in September?

We were thinking of doing an Alaska cruise in September for a change to see the fall colors.

Is that due to lack of snow late in the season on the glacier?

My sister just returned from an Alaska cruise on 9/16 and they could not get up to Sawyer Glacier at the end of Tracy Arm because it was iced in.

Do you think May is better for a glacier landing then? My hubby just did that in May 2012 but without the dog sledding.

The dog camps for the glacier helicoper landings generally are all closed the first week of Sept. sometimes earlier. There is NO way to know very far ahead of time, and these tours WILL be available for booking past when the actual tour will run.

My sister just returned from an Alaska cruise on 9/16 and they could not get up to Sawyer Glacier at the end of Tracy Arm because it was iced in.

QUOTE]

Sorry, this is a "sounds good excuse" but not accurate. There is always "ice" in this fjord. The real reason is TIME. Only about 25% of the cruiseships make it to within sight of one of the glaciers. The cruiseline schedules are too tightly timed with perfect conditions required for access. Also if this was an afternoon sailing- this timeframe is never going to have full access due to dusk by 7pm.

In Sep 09, it was offered, but all sledding was on dirt.. Depends on weather conditions which sleds are used.

They do not do any "dirt" dog sledding with a glaicer dog sled tour. This always requires a helicopter flight. ALL the "dirt" cart rides are via ground transportation.

We have been to Alaska many times now, but always early in the season (usually in May).

Does anyone know if Princess offers the Helicoptor, Glacier Landing, and Dog Sledding (on ice/snow, not dirt) tour in September?

We were thinking of doing an Alaska cruise in September for a change to see the fall colors.

The glacier helicopter tours run the entire season. The glacier dog sledding is usually over by the first week of Sept.

IF you want to see "fall colors" then you need to consider interior Alaska. There is little "fall color" on the inside passage. Most from a cruiseship port is probably out of Skagway into the Yukon, also out of Haines and also getting to the Yukon. Juneau and Ketchikan are not known for anything spectacular.

Interior Denali Park is spectacular with Wonder Lake my recommendation in.

With at least 2 weeks, I recommend a northbound cruise no later than the first week of Sept, with a priority of Denali Park shortly after. The shuttle buses end by mid Sept. Good opportunity also for Northern Lights. Reason for the north bound, is the inside passage weather drops off FAR more significantly compared to mainland. Sept is overall the worse weather potential of the season for inside passage.

QUOTE]

Sorry, this is a "sounds good excuse" but not accurate. There is always "ice" in this fjord. The real reason is TIME. Only about 25% of the cruiseships make it to within sight of one of the glaciers. The cruiseline schedules are too tightly timed with perfect conditions required for access. Also if this was an afternoon sailing- this timeframe is never going to have full access due to dusk by 7pm.

I saw the picture myself, it looked like almost solid ice right after the turn. I have seen Sawyer Glacier myself several times and had never seen the ice like that.

Archived