Victor Bodden Tours

Cruiser-66

Rockbock, have you done the Fun n Sun tour? You mention it is a few hours. We are booked for that but I am having trouble finding out exactly how long the tour is. We are in Coxen Hole 8-5pm and want to make the most of our time in port, including snorkeling West Bay. The Fun n Sun tour leaves 1 hour after the ship docks but does not specify a length of tour. It sounds like there is a bit of an island tour, a stop at Victor's Monkey place and then 2 hours at West Bay. I would like to get a better sense of how long of an island tour is included and whether this tour will take our whole day. If it is only short, we may look at doing something longer or to leave the tour at West Bay before they return to the ship.

Have you tried emailing Victor Boden directly? I have him booked for a private tour but has always responded to my emails within a day. I'm sure he can give you a better idea on the timeframe of the tour? Have you thought about a private tour? You can do the same thing actually and have a driver with you whenever you are done to go to the next stop. I know its the same price as the Fun n Sun for 4 or more people but may be worth the extra money if your less then 4.

Have you tried emailing Victor Boden directly? I have him booked for a private tour but has always responded to my emails within a day. I'm sure he can give you a better idea on the timeframe of the tour? Have you thought about a private tour? You can do the same thing actually and have a driver with you whenever you are done to go to the next stop. I know its the same price as the Fun n Sun for 4 or more people but may be worth the extra money if your less then 4.

Yes, I have emailed Victor to ask how long the tour is or what time it ends. They keep replying by saying that the tour leaves 1 hour after the ship docks, but they do not indicate how long the tour is. I don't see anything on the website. We won't need a private tour if the Fun n Sun one includes what we are looking for. It seems odd that I can't get the answer to how long the tour is.

Yes, I have emailed Victor to ask how long the tour is or what time it ends. They keep replying by saying that the tour leaves 1 hour after the ship docks, but they do not indicate how long the tour is. I don't see anything on the website. We won't need a private tour if the Fun n Sun one includes what we are looking for. It seems odd that I can't get the answer to how long the tour is.

I'm booked with VB for Zip-N-Dip and my paper work states that we get back 2 hours before the ship sails. Don't know if this helps.

I heard back from Victor today. The Fun n Sun is about 5 hours. It starts with the sightseeing, then about 30 minutes at the monkey farm then finishes with 2 hours at West Bay. They extend the site seeing if the weather is not beach worthy.

I heard back from Victor today. The Fun n Sun is about 5 hours. It starts with the sightseeing, then about 30 minutes at the monkey farm then finishes with 2 hours at West Bay. They extend the site seeing if the weather is not beach worthy.

Glad to hear he got back to you. I hope the timing works out for you.

• 1 month later...

My review of the FUN-N-SUN on December 19,2012:

: It was probably the worst tour I have ever been on. Glad I only spent $50.00 for the two of us.

I will elaborate:

1. We waited for 45 minutes for 12 people who never showed up. I appreciate the business of loosing $300.00, but in the confirmation email

you were specific about NOT WAITING for anyone and not to be late.

2. Welcome, our guide took us to the most unscenic spot at the tip of the island for photo opportunity. Not worthy of photo, except some chickens rooting around a house.

3. Monkeys were ok. Although I do not like monkeys. And they appeared to have fleas, always scratching.

4. Welcome took us to the most expensive souvenir shop on the island for a 15 minute shopping spree. The staff at the shop dogged us like we were

going to steal something. Not appreciated. I did go to the grocery store downstairs from the souvenir shop to buy some coffee, Cafe Oro at less than $3.00/pound. The coffee in the gift shop was in burlap bags at $12.00/pound I believe.

5. We went to a beach (West Bay) where we were required to pay $10.00/person for chair. ( We were told at the start of the tour we could either buy admission

for $5.00 per person or $10.00 for admission and chair with a drink of our choice) So even if we did not want a chair, we had to pay $10.00 each, the owner

of the beach agreed to buy us each a drink out of his own pocket. While we were at the beach we were ACCOSTED by so many people trying to sell shells,

jewelry, cigars, massage, etc. At least 100 such kids and adults. THAT WAS NOT PLEASANT. We did not feel safe to leave any of our belongings on the chairs while we went in the water. We had wet money and cards. The beach was pretty. I went to buy a beer at the bar and was

told it was $2.00. They did not have change for my $20.00 bill, so the beer increased in price to $3.00.

6. We had people from another ship who had to get back to port by 2:30 so they really got shorted in beach time. Although we were not due back until

4:30, we had definately had enough with the entire experience.

I really hope Victor can improve this tour because it has potential, but it really was the worst independent tour I have ever been on and I have been on several.

Echokat

We recently did the 5 hour Fun 'n Sun Tour when in port early December. Tour was about 45 minutes late getting started as we were waiting in the van for some other people to show up who had reserved ahead of time..they never did show up. Part of the problem with the start time seems to be that Bodden Tours indicates the start time as 1 hour after the ship docks which can be quite variable if the ship gets in early. People have to actually be up and awake and watching to see exactly what time the ship docks if it docks early; hard to know ahead of time if the ship is getting in early and is a bit challenging to be ready just in case it does. Our ship arrived early so I can understand how some people may not have been in time for the tour. My suggestion would be for Bodden to specify a specific time based on the planned ship arrival and maybe adjust the time if the ship is late vs moving the time ahead if the ship is early. Our tour was a small bus of about a dozen people. We had a driver and guide to take us on a 3 hour island tour that mostly included driving with a couple of short photo stops and fairly unscenic areas and a brief stop at a shop selling mahogany and other souvenirs. About 1 hour was spent at Bodden's monkey farm. Some of us did not go into the farm (my preference is to see wildlife in a natural habitat vs in captivity) so we just waited around while the others went into the cages to see and handle the monkeys. The tour guide was informative about the history and recent developments on the island but didn't seem to be very engaging. Following the driving tour, we went to West Bay beach area and our guide took us to Bananarama Beach Club where we purchased lunch. We had two hours to spend however we wished at West Bay, so after lunch at Bananarama, hubby and I wandered down the beach a little way and I did some snorkeling. Good sea life on the reef which is easy to swim to from shore. Not the most exiting day and I wouldnt' do it again but at least we got out on the island and saw a little bit and learned a little bit.

My review of the FUN-N-SUN on December 19,2012:

: It was probably the worst tour I have ever been on. Glad I only spent $50.00 for the two of us.

I will elaborate:

1. We waited for 45 minutes for 12 people who never showed up. I appreciate the business of loosing $300.00, but in the confirmation email

you were specific about NOT WAITING for anyone and not to be late.

2. Welcome, our guide took us to the most unscenic spot at the tip of the island for photo opportunity. Not worthy of photo, except some chickens rooting around a house.

3. Monkeys were ok. Although I do not like monkeys. And they appeared to have fleas, always scratching.

4. Welcome took us to the most expensive souvenir shop on the island for a 15 minute shopping spree. The staff at the shop dogged us like we were

going to steal something. Not appreciated. I did go to the grocery store downstairs from the souvenir shop to buy some coffee, Cafe Oro at less than $3.00/pound. The coffee in the gift shop was in burlap bags at $12.00/pound I believe.

5. We went to a beach (West Bay) where we were required to pay $10.00/person for chair. ( We were told at the start of the tour we could either buy admission

for $5.00 per person or $10.00 for admission and chair with a drink of our choice) So even if we did not want a chair, we had to pay $10.00 each, the owner

of the beach agreed to buy us each a drink out of his own pocket. While we were at the beach we were ACCOSTED by so many people trying to sell shells,

jewelry, cigars, massage, etc. At least 100 such kids and adults. THAT WAS NOT PLEASANT. We did not feel safe to leave any of our belongings on the chairs while we went in the water. We had wet money and cards. The beach was pretty. I went to buy a beer at the bar and was

told it was $2.00. They did not have change for my $20.00 bill, so the beer increased in price to $3.00.

6. We had people from another ship who had to get back to port by 2:30 so they really got shorted in beach time. Although we were not due back until

4:30, we had definately had enough with the entire experience.

I really hope Victor can improve this tour because it has potential, but it really was the worst independent tour I have ever been on and I have been on several.

Echokat

As it seems you and some other posters were disappointed in this tour I hope you emailed Victor to let him know. Hopefully, he will improve this experience. We did his "free" you pick what you want to do tour in 2009 and loved,loved,loved it. One of my all time favorite port experiences. I certainly hope that Victor isn't getting too big to deliver a great experience.

As it seems you and some other posters were disappointed in this tour I hope you emailed Victor to let him know. Hopefully, he will improve this experience. We did his "free" you pick what you want to do tour in 2009 and loved,loved,loved it. One of my all time favorite port experiences. I certainly hope that Victor isn't getting too big to deliver a great experience.

We had a similar experience with the private tour a few years ago, and have recommend his company to others. It's sad to see the bad reviews of the group "sun & fun" tour and I'll make sure to qualify my recommendation in the future. I agree that I hope people give them feedback and changes are made.

We did a "group tour" in St. Thomas and hated it -- but mostly due to the group dynamics. The people we were with complained the whole time (too hot, couldn't hear, speakers too loud, etc.), they talked over the tour guide and either were the first on the bus (waiting impatiently) or the last to arrive (dragging along while the rest of us waited.) Not a pleasure to be around...or maybe it was just us!

Anyway, for this reason, we ALWAYS do private tours now. We have determined that we are less likely to have our experiences ruined by others, plus the bonus of being able to control our own schedule/itinerary!

It's amazing how selfish some folks become on vacation (makes you wonder how they are in "real life!")

Anyone had trouble with them responding recently? We recommended Bodden to friends sailing this month and they REPEATEDLY emailed them (six attempts over two months) with nothing in response. Their travel agent even tried on their behalf with no luck. Obviously they went with another company.

Anyone had trouble with them responding recently? We recommended Bodden to friends sailing this month and they REPEATEDLY emailed them (six attempts over two months) with nothing in response. Their travel agent even tried on their behalf with no luck. Obviously they went with another company.

No problems here, responded to us within an hour -- perhaps they were using an incorrect email address? We emailed victorbodden@yahoo.com and it was answered, like I said, lightning fast!

The response was in my SPAM folder, but I always check before I delete the contents.

I emailed them yesterday and heard back late yesterday evening. I have booked the personal tour (with Tex!) for our cruise in March. I had first inquired about the Fun'n'Sun tour but decided for our family of five, it would be a much better experience if we were on our own.

Kim

Being a solo cruiser, I decided to do the Fun n Sun tour for the first time. Have used Victor Bodden on a previous cruise sharing a private tour.

The tour was very good and the driver, Kenny, took us to places on the island that I have never seen before. He did stop at various overlooks to take some pictures. Kenny did not rush us which was good. There were a few couples moaning on the van saying things like "we have been on this van too long" and even one couple who wanted to return back to the ship after the monkey farm. We did spend about 30 minutes on the van touring the various islands sites which is not a big deal. Not too sure why people can't just go with the flow and quit complaining, this is a shared bus.

Kenny did take us to West End and gave us a choice of the public beach or pay $10 for the resort, Infinity Bay. The concensus on the van was to pay the $10. This was well worth the money as the reef was right in front of this resort. Saw more fish than all the other snorkel spots that I have been to including Belize.

Remember, if you want to do your own thing then you can book the private van for the whole day. This is what I am doing with my sister and brother-in-law in April. Want to give then the whole Roatan experience as it is a beautiful island and Victor Bodden is one of the best operators and has wonderful drivers.

alittle strange but we get answers quickly.

We've contacted VB afew times to ask questions and always get answers within afew days or hours. HOWEVER sometimes the answers are written in extreme broken english while others its perfect. Always signed at the bottom "Victor"

Yep, it seems he has several "standard responses"... We've gone with him multiple times and have received the same Price Quote, Confirmation and Tip Sheet each time. Then, when we ask a specific question, there is a less-than-perfect-English answer. I applaud his efforts, though, and we always enjoy getting his notes. Although, I can speak Spanish, I shudder to think what my written Spanish may look like to a native speaker! Sometimes we have to read Victor's letters aloud, as some words are spelled phonetically...definitely would be in trouble with my Spanish doing that!!

His spoken English is great, however...and he really impresses us each time we visit. So many cruisers, yet he recognizes us immediately and knows us by name!

used bodden tours a couple of weeks ago for a private tour for the 4 of us. Our driver was william. Everything was handled well. We got a good tour of the island, based on our input and would definitely use them again.

We did the Fun N Sun last year and enjoyed it, but had the complaints common for group tours...late arrivers, complainers and it was the SAME ones over and over that were late getting back to the bus. But, did enjoy it.

We just reserved a private tour for just DH and myself. A little antsy about it because it's only the 2 of us, but decided to give it a try.

For those who have done the private tours with VB, what "add ons" did you do? We'd prefer to go privately, but the fun n sun tour really covers everything that we'd like to do. We are a group of 4. If I can come up with one add on, like the iguana farm, will we be able to book a private tour?

Archived