Victor Bodden Tours

Cruiser-66

I have to add that we did the "Zip and Dip" with Victor in September 2011 and I can say that I would probably never book with him again. We did not have a "great" experience. It was "ok", but not enough to book with him again for several reasons.

As the poster said (that posted their review and all of the pictures) the MONKEYS WILL AND DO BITE! My, then 3 years old, daughter is an animal lover...she does everything with us from this ziplining experience (by herself), to snorkeling every port, to cavetubing, stingrays, dolphins....if it involves animals, she wants to do it. When we went in the monkey cage, they would not go to her. They did not climb on her or even take the food out of her hand. She just stood there disappointed. They were crawling all over my husband. Then one of them just ran up to her and grabbed her arm and bit her. My husband had to swat it away and then it came back for a second time. The guy in there with us (that works there) had to grab the monkey while we rushed out. They did not even say a word until much later. They didn't ask if she was ok, they didn't check her out, nothing. Later someone approached and said "they get injections, don't worry". I took this as they have their shots...but still, no real way of knowing this, plus you could still get an infection from the open wound. These are wild monkeys and please be aware of this when visiting.

My other issue was the ziplining. I had went and landed on a platform. They then un clip you from the line you come off of and then clip you on another. I had just landed and wasn't even unclipped or out of the way when I was slammed in to by one of their employees ziplining to the platform I was on. It slammed me in to the tree, knock the wind out of me and I fell to my knees. Good thing I was still clipped is all I can say. I ended up with bloody knees and a hurt stomach. The employee that slammed in to me didn't say one word and quickly unclipped himself from the line and clipped on to the other and zipped away. Nothing was ever said. To me, this is a safety issue. :mad:

Did we have a good time? Yes, of course. This was a great experience for our family getting to do something we would have never did before. The memories that we have and the pictures and videos from that day of our 3 year old ziplingin by herself are precious. However, if we ever zipline again, it WON'T be with this company.

Just our experience and thoughts.

Oh just thought of something else...our "tour" guide we had that day, well he pretty much left us behind. We didn't have anyone showing us the animals or anything...he just left. Needless to say he didn't get a tip when he mysteriously showed up as we were getting in the van. :rolleyes:

One other thing, when you feed the animals, the tour guides have a carrot and they are biting it off with their teeth and then handing it to you to feed the animals. I'm sorry but that's just a little disgusting. I don't want someone else's saliva on my hands or my daughters. I work in the healthcare field and I'm in school for Nursing...this is a third world country...think about this.

Just got off the Glory today and although I loved Roatan, I was not impressed with our tour. It started out on a sour note when we waited for about 40 mins for someone who did not show up for their tour. When I received my confirmation info, it many times advised that if you were not on time they would not wait period. Well, we waited and waited and the person never did show up.

The tour itself was very lackluster. The guide would just basically say, here is a church, here is a store etc. No background or further information was given so it made for a boring tour.

Next was the Monkey Farm which was a highlight but I was very disappointed that our guide rushed us through the park. We would go in a cage for just a few minutes and then were told we needed to move on quickly. I would have loved a bit more time there.

After the Monkey farm, we were then told the beach would be an extra $10 per person which would have been nice to know beforehand. We were then told to discuss it amongst ourselves to decide if we wanted to go or not. Everyone did not have the extra cash so others on the tour offered to pay for those who did not have the additional money. We then went from beach resort to beach resort to see where we could possibly enter. At that point, one passenger just spoke up and insisted we had no time for this. We then proceeded to some ridiculously overpriced gift shop before returning to the cruise port which by the way had a beautiful beach with no entrance fee.

We later ran into others who were on the tour on our ship and they also advised of their displeasure with the tour. Anyway, I had read many good things about this tour but my experience was to the contrary. I am sure there are others that had a more pleasurable experience.

Does the $10.00 fee for the beach also cover loungers or is that a seperate fee. Also are you swarmed by beach vendors like some ports in Mexico? How about reccomendations for a good place to eat at West End Village?

Did the fun n sun tour. On out trip the $10 gave use access to Infinity Bay and included a lounger. There was security there who kept most vendors away. Also they had little flags to mark where the vendors should stay away from.

We also just got off the Glory and were in Roatan on Jan.10th. We were a group of 26 and had a big bus for our group. Our driver was Benjamin and tourguide was Anni. We started with a tour of the island. Anni was very knowledgeable and we learned a lot. They took us to all of the different areas (West End, West Bay, French Harbour, Coxen Hole, etc.). We stopped at a look out point (very high up) and there were local vendors set up selling their goods. After that we went to Victor's monkey farm. Half of the group did the zipline and half went into the monkey farm while we waited for the zipliners. When they were finished they then went through the monkey cages. Two of the people in our group were bitten by the monkeys. The bites did not break the skin but thought it worth noting that they do bite. Victor has camera's in the trees that take pics of the zipliners. We had 13 zipliners and over 100 pics on a CD that he sold to us for $20. The pictures were amazing quality...very much worth the money! Once back on the bus, Anni (tour guide) proceeded to tell us that there is now a $10 fee to get into ALL of the West Bay beaches. I was disappointed because Victor NEVER included this in any of our many emails back and forth. So we were told it would be $260 for 26 of us to go to Bananarama on West Bay. The problem was that by the time we left Victor's home we only had about 2 1/2 hours left before we had to be back to the ship and some in the group did not want to spend the money to stay there for 2 hours. Anni did tell us that all the beaches in the West End were free so they drove by there so we could take a look. We decided not to stay because the beach area was very small and crowded. We had been to West Bay before and loved it so chose to go to West Bay. The bus dropped 18 of us off at Bananarama and took the others back to the ship then returned to Bananarama two hours later and took us back. The $10 fee included a lounger but we were told they were out of loungers so they gave us a free drink instead. Children 10 and under were free. Bananarama was fantastic! Beach was beautiful and completely clear water...no seaweed or grass and sandy bottom. Bananarama bar was fun...drinks were $5-$7 and they had live music. Our day with Victor Bodden tours was fantastic. My only complaint would be that I think Victor should've disclosed that it was going to be an additional $10 per person to go to West Bay.

Anyone have any recent experience with "the walk" to get to the VB guides from the Mahogany Bay cruise center? We'll be travelling with our three small kids so want to make sure this is a safe walk.

Our experience so far has been positive. Emailed late one night and we had a reply the next morning. We booked a private "Best of Roatan" tour.

Here's an excerpt from the email we received.

Mahogany Bay Cruise Center (Carnival Dream, Carnival Magic): As you exit your ship, customers on Local Independent Tours will be required by Carnival Corporation to exit their dock area through the gates and walk over the hill to the main road. Once outside the gates and over the hill, look for our representatives holding VICTOR BODDEN signs. One of our representatives will greet you, locate your name on our list and introduce you to your guide for the day. At the end of your tour day, we ARE able to drop you off to the entrance of the dock...so you will only have to do this long walk one-way, when you first arrive. You can view the hill behind the red-roofed building here http://www.boddentours.com/images/mahoganybayhill.jpg and print a map from the Mahogany Bay ship docks to our location here http://boddentours.com/images/maptobodden.gif

Should we consider the taxi option?

++ As of December 1, 2010, the Port Manager of the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center has negotiated with the on-site Taxi Association to provide transportation, if required, to the Independent Tours meeting area over the hill. The negotiated flat-rate for this taxi service is $2 per person. Please see the Taxi Dispatcher (in the Green Mahogany Bay shirt) to arrange for your group to utilize this service -- tell them that you need transport to Victor Bodden Tours on the other side of the hill. Or, if you'd rather, you can still walk over the hill (approximately 350 yards) to the designated area. ++

Anyone have any recent experience with "the walk" to get to the VB guides from the Mahogany Bay cruise center? We'll be travelling with our three small kids so want to make sure this is a safe walk.

We were just there last Thursday. We had 7 kids under 10 yrs in our group. They all made the walk just fine although they hated it and it was quite steep. It's definitely safe but you'll be walking with a lot of other people heading in the same direction. Just follow the herd...LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Since I had been reading this board I was aware as was everyone else on the bus that they would suggest Banarama for $10. They did make the suggestion and it was before we left, only one person did not want to do it and they asked if they could take a taxi back from the beach and that is what they did. I do agree since they are suggesting a pay beach that they should included that in the information about the tour. We had Annie as a guide and she was wonderful, very informative. All in all I still felt it was a good value.

to access beach at Bananarama unless you are going to use the chairs, restrooms, etc at Bananarama.

You can access the beach for FREE using the skinny road/alley that runs immediately NEXT to Bananarama resort.

On January 24, 2013 my family visited Roatan. I booked a private tour with Victor Bodden tours (great tour with Frankie as guide). When we were ready for beach, Frankie drove us down the bumpy little road and dropped us behind Bananarama PER MY REQUEST.

On the left side of the road there is a LONG fence that runs down to the beach. On the right side of the road is Bananarama property (with a FEE to use resort chairs, ameneties, etc).

There is a tiny guard shack at the street-side (not beach end) of the property on the LEFT side of the road. About 4 feet behind the guard shack is a chain that covers about 80% of the road and the 20% not blocked by the chain is immediately BEHIND the guard shack (but set back about 4' from the back of the shack). To access the beach, we simply strolled past the guard shack with NO communication with the guards whatsoever, veered left to the opening in the chain and strolled down the road to the beach, where we turned left and headed for the public beach section in front of Infinity Bay and Tabayana Beach.

There were 3 people in and around the guard shack. We did NOT say ANYTHING to them. Simply strolled by like we knew what we were doing. If we HAD been confronted by the guards I was prepared to tell them we were NOT going to be using Bananarama facilities, chairs or anything else there - but that we were headed to beach in front of Infinity Bay & Tabayana. Per an email from Louis at Bananarama, the road is owned by Paradise Beach Club.

I think if you feel the OVERWHELMING NEED to walk up to the guards and ask them stupid questions like "how much $ to access beach" or something similiar - they gonna charge you! :D We went back and forth a couple of times during the afternoon and NOBODY said anything to us.

Please NOTE: There are NO public restrooms on the beach ANYWHERE. If your family needs to use restrooms you WILL PAY FOR THEM, so plan accordingly! No chairs, etc either.

I got an email from Victor yesterday thanking me for using VB tours. He asked for feedback and I mention what has been discussed here about the unsuspected $10 fee for West Bay beach. My suggestion was raising cost of tour and including the beach. Today I looked at his website and the Sun and Fun tour is now $30, and it specifically says it stops at Bananarama, and also it says beach fees are included in the $30 tour fee.

I got an email from Victor yesterday thanking me for using VB tours. He asked for feedback and I mention what has been discussed here about the unsuspected $10 fee for West Bay beach. My suggestion was raising cost of tour and including the beach. Today I looked at his website and the Sun and Fun tour is now $30, and it specifically says it stops at Bananarama, and also it says beach fees are included in the $30 tour fee.

Yes we received an email for our upcoming visit indicating the change for the Fun-n-Sun, which now includes Bananarama (chair, fresh-water shower, restroom access, etc.) Plus, in response to the other major complaint about waiting for the late/no-show guests, they now leave one hour after the ships originally shceduled arrival time. He said for those that are already booked, but don't want to pay the increased fee, free-beach access woudl be provided but that resorts are charging for restroom/shower usage. He has also added Bananarama onto the Zip-n-Dip, at no additional charge (only the $5 increase for those that Skip-the-Dip!)

Nice to see some changes being made to address the problems pointed out here and on Trip Advisor. Although we take the private tours, I think he's trying to correct the problems that have started showing up during this peak season on West Bay Beach. Now, if only we can get the cruise lines to lower their drink prices!!!

Any place you eat at on West Bay Beach will let you use the restroom. Period.

So just make plans to

1) use the access alley to the beach

2) sit on your towel

3) Eat lunch at one of the numerous places along the beach

4) Use the bathroom then

Just back from a week at Mayan Princess and Bananrama charged us $2 each for the Restroom on a cruise ship day (eventhough we were having drinks and nachos...and tasty chicken strips!) There was no charge on a "NON-cruiseship day!"

Didn't mind paying, the food and drinks are good -- and the bartender kept us in stitches!

Plus, I'd rather pay-to-pee in paradise than use-the-loo at my office for free!:D

Yes we received an email for our upcoming visit indicating the change for the Fun-n-Sun, which now includes Bananarama (chair, fresh-water shower, restroom access, etc.) Plus, in response to the other major complaint about waiting for the late/no-show guests, they now leave one hour after the ships originally shceduled arrival time. He said for those that are already booked, but don't want to pay the increased fee, free-beach access woudl be provided but that resorts are charging for restroom/shower usage. He has also added Bananarama onto the Zip-n-Dip, at no additional charge (only the $5 increase for those that Skip-the-Dip!)

Nice to see some changes being made to address the problems pointed out here and on Trip Advisor. Although we take the private tours, I think he's trying to correct the problems that have started showing up during this peak season on West Bay Beach. Now, if only we can get the cruise lines to lower their drink prices!!!

I thought it was a very good value even with paying $10 for Bananarama, however from a marketing standpoint it makes more sense to build the charge into the price of the tour, people tend to get a little testy when presented with unexpected fees.

Just back from a week at Mayan Princess and Bananrama charged us $2 each for the Restroom on a cruise ship day (eventhough we were having drinks and nachos...and tasty chicken strips!) There was no charge on a "NON-cruiseship day!"

Didn't mind paying, the food and drinks are good -- and the bartender kept us in stitches!

Plus, I'd rather pay-to-pee in paradise than use-the-loo at my office for free!:D

WOW- THAT IS NEWS. I think they might find that many who visit land wise on a regular basis won't like that ! We ate there a couple of times during our week visit in December...... we did not pay to use the bathroom tho !

Just returned from a cruise onboard Carnival Conquest. We had a great day in Roatan with Anthony from Victor Bodden tours. He picked us up after a little walk up a small hill. He took time to find out what we wanted to see and do. We got a great tour of the area and did about an hour of snorkeling from a boat. We were returned to our ship with plenty of time to shop a little and get back onboard before sail away. If you get the chance to do a tour with Victor's group you will be very happy.

Our experience so far has been positive. Emailed late one night and we had a reply the next morning. We booked a private "Best of Roatan" tour.

Here's an excerpt from the email we received.

Should we consider the taxi option?

Just there on Christmas, and most of our group used the taxi...my inlaws could not make it, so we put my 4 yr old and 6 yr old nephew in the cab with them. I made my 10 yr old walk with my husband and I. The cab is cheap and short and well worth a few bucks. So you know, You are walking along side the road and the cars are speeding by.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Western Caribbean cruise and thought I would post my port review. Hope it helps...

Roatan - We booked private tour thru Victor Bodden Tours and asked for Marty Wood as driver/guide and was not disappointed. He took us to a local supermarket to buy cheap local beer for our day. Then off-roading on beautiful Sandy Bay beach. But West Bay beach was the most gorgeous – clear blue water. However, it was sooo crowded and the locals constantly pester you to buy massage, hair braiding, tours, sunglasses, trinkets,etc…which really took away from the amazing beach. We were so bothered that we went to West End for lunch and spent rest of afternoon snorkeling there. Marty took us to Half Moon Resort where the restaurant overlooked the water – the food was good – if only they could get their act together with their service this would be a great dining spot. Then we used the free beach chairs and went snorkeling – saw tons of fish, lobster, water snake, brain coral, fan coral, really vibrant reef. Marty informed that he also has his own tour company - Roatan Guided Tours dot com - and his wife owns a catering service and provides lobster meals for 2 at a great price. Wish we had known that for this visit.

Archived