veranda cabins size

Hawaiidan

In looking at both the floor plan and viewing the virtual photos it appears the Veranda cabins all are pretty small, in that from the end of the bed to wall( bulkhead) is only about 1.5 to 2 feet ! At 286 sq ft is that include the balcony?

Too it appears that the much larger bathroom takes up a lot of space and that there is really no difference between an inside and verandas storage space. Is this the case?

It also appears, not counting the veranda, that there is actualy more usable floor ( deck) space in the Inside than the veranda or outside !

Any feed back and opinions:o

by googling,,,you tube,,facebook,,etc...

I did this for Regatta and decided regular cabins too small and no tub,,,so opted for paying extra for PH..plus no full hot breakfast was available on room service(continental only) unless upgraded...a minor point,,,but both important to us.

We found the bathroom VERY SMALL on Insignia,,,,and cabin too tight for a long cruise...

Not sure about veranda on the new ships,,,they look much bigger,,,;)

Dan, my answer depends on which class of ship -- Regatta Class Regatta & Naautica) or Oceania Class (Marina & Riviera).

From the "286 sq ft" comment, I assume you're asking about Marina or Riviera. If so:

The actual size of the Concierge (A1 thru A4) and Veranda (B1 thru B4) cabins is 282 sq ft. That includes the balcony, which is 40 sq ft; the actual stateroom square footage is 242.

The Oceania View cabins are 242 sq ft. Thus, the only difference between Ocean View and balcony cabins is the presence of the balcony; they are otherwise identical in size and layout.

The inside cabins are smaller at 172 sq ft. They do not have a loveseat, nor do the bathrooms include both a tub and a stand alone shower -- only the shower. Thus, the bath is smaller in the inside rooms, but the inside rooms are a whopping 70 sq ft smaller, so I seriously doubt there is any more usable space. But, I think the shower in the inside cabin is larger than the standalone shower in the larger cabins.

The other major difference between the inside cabins and the OV and balcony cabins is the location of the closet. In the inside cabins, it is in a more conventional location in the entrance "hallway" across from the bathroom; in the others it's next to the bed. This makes the cabin appear larger in the drawings. The layout of the bed also makes the inside appear to have more space; it is perpendicular to the layout of the other cabins.

It is true that there is a limited amount of space at the foot of the bed in the larger cabins; however this has never been a detriment to us -- we only use that space to move from one side of the bed to the other. It's also true that the larger bathroom takes up a significant amount of the space in the larger cabins. But, the cabin space outside the bathroom is also larger -- not only larger than the inside cabins, but larger than the standard cabins on Regatta and Nautica. All of them, with a few exceptions*, whether Concierge, Veranda, Ocean View or Inside, vary between 160 and 173 sq ft (Category E are 146 sq ft). *(Handicap cabins and 4 of the OV cabins can be a little larger)

I can't remember a review here on Cruise Critic comparing inside cabins on Riviera or Marina with the larger cabins; in fact, I can't remember any comments on this forum about the merits, or lack thereof, of an inside with regards to space and usability. Therefore, I've decided to make the "ultimate sacrifice" ;) and martyr myself :rolleyes:, and booked a Category F Inside on Riviera for the December 10 Western Caribbean cruise. It was purely for the opportunity to report back here on the inside cabins, and had nothing to do with the fact that we had already spent most of our cruise budget for this year (looking for a "Tongue in Cheek" smiley).

Seriously, it's an F GTY, and there's a good chance I'll get bumped up -- probably not to an OV, because they're even more rare and very popular, but maybe a Category B. If I do get the Cat F, though, I'll be sure to write it up here, comparing it to Veranda, Concierge and Penthouse, all of which I've enjoyed on Riviera or Marina.

• 1 year later...

Hawaiidan, Having been on both the R and O ships (Regatta and Marina, as well as both the Journey and Quest on Azamara) in veranda staterooms, I have this to offer. The larger veranda staterooms on the Marina did not seem to be much bigger than those on the O ships due to the increased size of the bathrooms. I would have preferred more space on the verandas and less in the bathroom. After all, I use the verandas for coffee in a.m., sitting for a spell on returning from shore, and having a glass of wine or a drink prior to dinner, while using the bathroom for the usual necessary things which don't take much time at all. Just my opinion, of course, but I would certainly designed them differently!

Donna

I would have preferred more space on the verandas and less in the bathroom.

Donna

Well since you dredged up this year old thread

i will say I agree with you

They could have left out the tub & made the shower a bit bigger & better use of the limited storage with more usable space in the cabins

Maybe on the next new build ;)

Lyn

We've only been in the R ships' Concierge cabins. Our last cruise was our longest. NEVER had a problem with storage or anything else having to do with space. The ONE and ONLY thing we wished for was a larger shower stall but other than that, we've been beyond comfortable.