Claiming GST on cruise for electronics?

Edwardho23

Has anyone been able to claim GST on electronics purchased from Australia to a cruise to NZ?

I'm planning to purchase a digital camera for my cruise trip to NZ. I have claimed GST before at Sydney Airport for an iPad, I don't know if there is an equivalent for cruise trips.

Yes, you can claim and it is very easy. The purchase has to be over $300, if it is several items that you are claiming for they all have to be on one invoice (tax invoice), purchase has to be within 30 days of travelling and you have to take the goods out of the country with you. After you check in for the cruise and go through Immigration, you will see a desk marked TRS (Traveller Refund Scheme). Show the staff the item plus the receipt and quote a credit card number for the refund. It has to be to a credit card.

This is a quick process. When we did it at Brisbane International Airport on one trip, it took over an hour to reach the head of the queue and a lot of people had to abandon their places (and their refund) to board their flights. Lots of unhappy people. If you want to claim TRS prior to a flight, go to the airport early, but of course you can't go through to the area where you claim until the check-in for your flight opens - usually 3 hours prior.

I got the GST back on my DSLR on my cruise out of Brisbane in February.

The TRS stand was just after going through immigration and before taking the final walkway to the ship.

Took about 3 mins to process and the money was in my bank account when I got home.

I have claimed the GST back on so many things ... clothes, glasses, camera, laptop, PC - yes I took that with me on a cruise as my DH had spent $1700 on a camera on the same invoice !!

All really easy.

The only thing I have found at the cruise terminal is that unsuspecting newbies start queuing up behind me at the GST counter thinking there was more cruise checking going on there !

Archived