Parking at Port of Miami

debijaynes

I know this is early--but does anyone have any experience parking at the Miami Terminal? I am trying to figure out whether to get a limo from the West Coast of Florida OR drive and park ourselves. I am familiar with the FT Lauderdale parking, but not so with Miami and the comfort factor is low. We leave on March 22 so have plenty of time to investigate.

Thanks--Debi

We drove down and parked at the Miami cruise terminal over Easter Break this year. No problems with the drive or parking that week. There is a toll road available but it wasn't necessary. The terminal was very easy to find and the parking deck is just across the street from where the ships dock. We dropped off kids and luggage, parked the car, and were set to board within about 15 minutes of driving over the bridge from downtown Miami. Parking was $20 a day.

I thought the whole terminal area had a much smaller feel than Fort Lauderdale due to the one in Miami mostly accommodating cruise ships, not cargo vessels. You do however drive right thru the middle of a part of downtown Miami which was a little different for us. We had maps and directions from both AAA and MapQuest and had no problems at all.

Thanks for the info! For some reason I thought we had to park away from the terminal and then take a cab. Last night we decided to get the limo service BUT after this great info--NOT!

The limo would be $350 plus tip so thgis is waaayyyyy better.

Last year when we sailed on Regent it was out of Ft Lauderdale-- and we a re very familiar with that port. AS Miami is new for us(with the exception of flying in and sailing on the Norway many years ago) I was hoping for great info such as this.

THANKS!

Debi

There are offsite parking options -- Google "Miami port offsite parking" -- one at $4.50/day with no shuttle ($15 cab ride) and a couple at $8.00/day with a free shuttle. I'll be iusing the latter in December -- I drop off Betsy and the luggage at the port, drive about 1 mile to the parking garage, and take the shuttle back. I reverse the procedure when I arrive back in Miami.

For a one-way voyage out of Miami, such as a transAtlantic, I choose one of the many offsite parking lots between the port and the airport -- there are several that have shuttles to either location. That way, I take the shuttle to the port, and then take the shuttle from the airport at the end of the travel (or vice versa if it's a westward TA).

However, if you're doing a Miami round trip and don't want to bother with the shuttle bus rides, there is adequate parking at the terminal for $20.00/day. As you say, $200 or so for parking 10 days is better than the $350 limo, but being a frugal person, I find $80 or so even better ;).

I have found a motel very close to the Miami airport, with a free shuttle to and from the airport, at $4.00 per day with every 7th day free if over a week, no motel stay required. I parked there last May for $94 (incl tax) for 25 days!

Regent (and Oceania) normally use Terminal J, which is alone on the right side of the port entrance, avoiding the hustle and bustle of the mega-ship terminals on the left side. Terminal J has it's own parking garage, but it's about a city block from the actual terminal. Personally, I think the shuttle ride is more convenient because it drops you off almost at the door.

There are offsite parking options -- Google "Miami port offsite parking" -- one at $4.50/day with no shuttle ($15 cab ride) and a couple at $8.00/day with a free shuttle. I'll be iusing the latter in December -- I drop off Betsy and the luggage at the port, drive about 1 mile to the parking garage, and take the shuttle back. I reverse the procedure when I arrive back in Miami.

For a one-way voyage out of Miami, such as a transAtlantic, I choose one of the many offsite parking lots between the port and the airport -- there are several that have shuttles to either location. That way, I take the shuttle to the port, and then take the shuttle from the airport at the end of the travel (or vice versa if it's a westward TA).

However, if you're doing a Miami round trip and don't want to bother with the shuttle bus rides, there is adequate parking at the terminal for $20.00/day. As you say, $200 or so for parking 10 days is better than the $350 limo, but being a frugal person, I find $80 or so even better ;).

I have found a motel very close to the Miami airport, with a free shuttle to and from the airport, at $4.00 per day with every 7th day free if over a week, no motel stay required. I parked there last May for $94 (incl tax) for 25 days!

Regent (and Oceania) normally use Terminal J, which is alone on the right side of the port entrance, avoiding the hustle and bustle of the mega-ship terminals on the left side. Terminal J has it's own parking garage, but it's about a city block from the actual terminal. Personally, I think the shuttle ride is more convenient because it drops you off almost at the door.

Hi Don,

Regarding your quote "I have found a motel very close to the Miami airport, with a free shuttle to and from the airport, at $4.00 per day with every 7th day free if over a week, no motel stay required. I parked there last May for $94 (incl tax) for 25 days!"

Which motel is this? Have you used them before? Are they reliable?

Thanks!

Keith

Hi Don,

Regarding your quote "I have found a motel very close to the Miami airport, with a free shuttle to and from the airport, at $4.00 per day with every 7th day free if over a week, no motel stay required. I parked there last May for $94 (incl tax) for 25 days!"

Which motel is this? Have you used them before? Are they reliable?

Thanks!

Keith

Keith, yes, I have used them before (for 25 days this past May) and plan to use them again for 15 days next April. It's totally self-park in a fenced motel parking lot with a 24 hour guard at at the entry kiosk, and they honored my book-online voucher without question and even assisted me when I came back to a dead battery (what I get for parking that long with the original battery in a 6 year old car :rolleyes:), so I'd say it was reliable. I think there's a security guard who circulates at night. It is uncovered parking, but easily as secure as a garage. The spots are large enough that you should not get a "ding". Your car won't be moved; you keep the keys.

Go to http://www.unitedairportparking.com/, enter your dates, choose your airport (in this case, MIA), and click on "Get Rates". The first one on the list will be "MIA Crowne Plaza providing secure uncovered self parking." You should see an actual price quote based on your dates. If you're satisfied, click "Reserve".

I suggest dropping your travel partner and the luggage at the airport first, then following the directions to the hotel (probably more like 5 minutes than the 2 minutes listed, due to traffic, not distance -- it's really close). The reason is the self-parking -- they'll probably direct you to the back of the lot, and you'll most likely have to walk back up to the hotel entrance to get the shuttle bus -- I did. That might not be much fun with large suitcases. You might be able to request the shuttle to pick you up at your parking spot, but I can't guarantee the answer.

Archived