Which side to choose - Port or Starboard?

I am getting ready to upgrade my stateroom on the Navigator, Eastern Med, but cannot decide whether to upgrade to a room on the port side or starboard? I originally had a hump cabin, starboard, but there was a price drop on the RCCL website and I can now get a D2 cabin for the same price I was paying for the E2. I think I would prefer the slightly larger cabin and balcony, but now I'm second guessing whether I should remain on the same side or switch. I love to people watch when we're in port, but I don't know if the ship docks equally on each side or is one side usually next to the dock vs the other. Anyone have any suggestions?

The ship does NOT dock to one side or the other all the time. It varies. Generally, it's about 50/50 at ports....so pick a cabin of the size you want, in the location you want. Side of the ship really doesn't matter!

The D catagory will give you more cabin space...the balconies with be about the same size.

The only time I can think of where port or starboard is important is on a transatlantic or transpacific cruise or any cruise where you will be traveling in one direction the majority of the time and you have a preference of sunny or shady side of the ship. Otherwise cruises travel in both directions and can berth at a port on either side, so it doesn't really matter.

Pick a cabin you like and have a great time!

For what ever reason the last few cruises the ship has docked with the starboard side next to the piers. However when leaving home port the portside is next to the pier. It's been fun watching folks who are late running back to the ship.... Guess we like starboard side better.

Earl & Kathy

Once upon a time the port side of the ship would be next to the dock, today's ships can be docked either way with either its port or starboard side abutting the pier. Here is a little history about port and starboard that we found interesting.

The term starboard came about in olden days when a large oar, at the rear of the vessel, was used to steer the ship. Since most sailors were right-handed the oar was typically positioned on the right side of the vessel so that the helmsman could stand in the center and steer with his right hand. The term starboard comes from the old English term sterobord which literally means the side from which the ship is steered.

In order to prevent any damage to their steering mechanism, ships would always be docked with their left side against the pier. A ship's left side was referred to as larboard or loading-side. Later British seamen changed the term larboard to port because when spoken, it was too easy to confuse larboard and starboard.

Also, ships and channel markers use green and red navigational lights. A green light is displayed to indicate the starboard side of a ships and a red light indicate the port side. If two ships are on a course that intersects the ship on the left will see the red light of the other ship and is supposed to give way.

Port as, you know is the left side of the ship. There are four letters in both left and port and port wine is red.

Archived