Booze package or no booze package???

greg33418

I have looked at some previous threads and am confused about the "standard" $29.99 wine package...Is it currently one choice of each wine type or are there multiple choices???

Secondly...Is the $49.99 everything package worth it???...How much is a Cosmo or Martini on it's own??...

If expensive wines and spirits are included, I suspect it's probably worth the price of admission...

Booked on RIVIERA early next year..

Thanks for the help..

G

I would say it's very much worth it. But again it depends on how little you drink. I don't drink a lot, but it's still worth it. Pricing, normal bar, dining pricing maybe a little higher per drink but not much more than you'd pay at home at a good place. We've booked 2 more cruises for 2013, and we took the package for each cruise.

Rick

Depends on your drinking habits

For me with 1 drink every few days ...not worth it

for people that like a few drinks with dinner, before dinner & after dinner maybe afternoon drinks by the pool..it is a no brainer

You can always wait until you board to decide what works best for you

Oceania has a Happy Hour each evening serving 2 for 1 drinks. If you are not big drinkers this may work for you. It works for us.

But it is only from 5pm to 6pm, too early (at least for us) for before dinner cocktails.

I enjoy me drinks and planned to eventually buy the $50 all one wants to drink package, but I didn't. Here's why:

First day in concierge cabin real champagne awaited on ice.

Second day, free drinks all ship from like 6-8pm.

Third day, I developed tooth infection, ship docs' meds required

limiting drinks to three a day.

Fifth day, storm made us skip two ports! apology via free

drinks everywhere from 6-8

I probably exceeded the $50 on my own a few days, but every day happy hour was two for one, and drink of the day was $5? And sometimes we were off the ship and had to pay cash for those draft Guinesses in Belfast and Dublin.

And also consider potential rough seas where you might not feel like drinking. Or days off to give it a rest. Also the nightcap in the cabin from the minibar is not part of the package. So I never did sign up for the $50 all drinks package.

Just disembarked from Riviera. We both had the prestige package and it was well worth it even though we had free drinks at Captain's Welcome party and again at Oceania repeat cruisers party and then free wine at the captain's table. Some days we did not even have a drink but the days we did we certainly got our money's worth:D. We had the smallest balance on our onboard account out of all previous 6 of our cruises. And now that you can get drinks delivered to your room WITHOUT a meal (only when the bars are open) makes this an even better pkg.

I would relate this, if I may, to the free soft drinks always available with Oceania. Passengers have said that when sailing with cruise lines where you purchase a soft drink package allowing you to drink as much as you want; they found that when aboard Oceania their consumption of soft drinks was drastically reduced.

The concept of obtaining a good return on your alcohol package investment can be very intoxicating if not dangerous to one's health. The two for one or double pour offer each evening was to us the best way to go.

I would relate this, if I may, to the free soft drinks always available with Oceania. Passengers have said that when sailing with cruise lines where you purchase a soft drink package allowing you to drink as much as you want; they found that when aboard Oceania their consumption of soft drinks was drastically reduced.

The concept of obtaining a good return on your alcohol package investment can be very intoxicating if not dangerous to one's health. The two for one or double pour offer each evening was to us the best way to go.[/q

Well said. It depends on the drinker. In my case I might drink one soft drink a month; hapy hour at home begins at five; wife seldom has a drink so happy hour double pour is best. On Silversea drinks free and I DID drink too much and too often And cabin consumption for a nightcap on veranda fills my dance program. :)

What is the cost of a Budwiser Bottle? $5

What is the cost of a Vodka Martini? from $8 to $10

What is the cost of a Cosmo? from $8 to $10

-In all cases, plus the 18% autotip-

On a "port day" I would most likely not drink anything until I returned back to the ship -- usually 1 hour prior to departure. Typical drinks on a port day would be :

2 martini's ($24 tip included)

1 beer ($6 tip included)

Total $30

On a "sea day" I would drink earlier.

2 "Drinks of the day" ($14? tip included)

2 martini's ($24 tip included)

1 beer ($6 tip included)

Total $44

[Maybe] add one more drink on any given day if having a late night.

Either way it appears that I should be ok (unless I start drinking some of that fine champagne or scotch)...

Still think the drink package is a good deal, even if you just have a few drinks during the evenings. Two for one Happy hour, Captain's party and "O's" party----just to many people in one place for a "FREE" drink. I'd rather enjoy my cocktail, when and where I want one the ship. Than watching people trying to drink as much as the can during a free cocktail party just because it's free. So that's why I buy the package.

Rick

What's the choice of wines for the lower cost drinks package? Does it include mixed drinks with meals or just wine? And finally we have only one day at sea. Is it possible to get the premium package for the one day and the standard for the rest?

Thanks,

Joe

What's the choice of wines for the lower cost drinks package? Does it include mixed drinks with meals or just wine? And finally we have only one day at sea. Is it possible to get the premium package for the one day and the standard for the rest?

Thanks,

Joe

The House Select package is beer or wine only, and only with meals (whether you take them in a restaurant , or in your cabin).

The Premium Package is basically whatever you want, at any time when any bar is open on the ship (ok there are a few top notch cognacs and champagnes excluded).

The Wine selection for both packages are those that are offered by the glass in the ship's bar's.

You may not flip back and forth between packages. It is possible to buy into a Beverage Package during the cruise, but you must purchase that package for the number of days remaining (debarkation day is not counted).

Archived