Marigot/Grand Case wine shops and lunch

flcraigs5

we would like to take a taxi over to Marigot and Grand Case since we have not been to that side before. While there I would like to pick up a bottle or two of French wine and maybe eat at a LOLO. Anybody know if there are some good wine shops in either Marigot or Grand Case. Also, Is it worth the 25.00 each way to Grand Case to eat at a LOLO????? Thanks for any help

we would like to take a taxi over to Marigot and Grand Case since we have not been to that side before. While there I would like to pick up a bottle or two of French wine and maybe eat at a LOLO. Anybody know if there are some good wine shops in either Marigot or Grand Case. Also, Is it worth the 25.00 each way to Grand Case to eat at a LOLO????? Thanks for any help

To me it would not be worth $50 for DH and I to taxi to Grand Case for a meal at the LOLO's. But to be fair since we had roaches climbing on our table a few years ago in the middle of the day we have skipped them altogether even when vacationing in Grand Case.

To me it would not be worth $50 for DH and I to taxi to Grand Case for a meal at the LOLO's. But to be fair since we had roaches climbing on our table a few years ago in the middle of the day we have skipped them altogether even when vacationing in Grand Case.

:eek: Not good :eek:

One of the main attractions of the Lolos for many people is that you can get a complete meal with a drink or two for a tad over $10 pp. So, to spend $50 rt would certainly defeat, IMO, the purpose of eating here for their "plate" meals.

However, if you want to sample some of the local items, I'd say it's worth the trip if only for the food experience. I see you're from Florida, so conch may not be special to you, but I have to have their conch stew. Other local items I like are goat stew, fried plantains, peas and rice, stuffed christophine, stuffed crab backs, accras, johnny cake, boudin, and probably a few others I'm leaving out. Wash this all down with a few Ti Punches and you should be set. And, yes, I tend to have most of the dishes I mentioned at a sitting, so can run a tab of $30 or so. These dishes can all be ordered ala carte.

several nice restaurants, French, Italian ect. and a few wine shops in town and a great wine selection at the Match supermarket just outside town as well as liquor and French foods.

Match supermarket is long gone.

gary

Thanks for all the responses. We will think about Grand Case and the LOLO's. We were just thinking of this cause we have never been to one before and like to try different things when we visit countries. Maybe we will just go to Marigot and wander and see if we can find a wine shop. I have read different things on the Market in Marigot. Some say its open daily with it being larger on Wed and Sat and some say only Saturday. Anybody know which it is?

If you're serious about French wine, search out Le Goût du Vin in Marigot.

If you're REALLY serious about French wine, search out Bacchus, between Grand Case and Orient.

If you're just looking for some French wine, look in any of the larger supermarkets, like Le Grand Marche, around the island.

I would avoid Sang's, near the Cruise Facility, as we have had some bad experiences with wine purchased there.

I believe that there are some vendor stalls open every day at the Marigot Marketplace, but Saturday and Wednesday are the big days.

gary

Okay, showing my ignorance. What's a LOLO?

Do you want the real meaning or the definition that 99% of us around here use?:)

Most of us call the LOLO's : locally owned locally operated

The most famous LOLO's are the ones in Grand Case that used to be Hibachi BBQ's in the grass back when I first saw them in 1992. Now there are a group of 5 BBQ shacks on restaurant row in Grand Case where all the gourmet restaurants are.

Apparently the real meaning has something to do with the actual heat source. I think?

Thanks, Gary. Interesting information about using the barrels coming from soldiers in the South Pacific.

My dad who was in Germany during WWII made the first grill I ever saw after an oil barrel he cut in half. He was a farm boy from West Tennessee, and that's what all those West Tennessee BBQ places (I say West TN, because it's not just Memphis) used, too.

Beth

If you're serious about French wine, search out Le Goût du Vin in Marigot.

If you're REALLY serious about French wine, search out Bacchus, between Grand Case and Orient.

If you're just looking for some French wine, look in any of the larger supermarkets, like Le Grand Marche, around the island.

I would avoid Sang's, near the Cruise Facility, as we have had some bad experiences with wine purchased there.

I believe that there are some vendor stalls open every day at the Marigot Marketplace, but Saturday and Wednesday are the big days.

gary

Thanks for the information Gary. I think we will take a look at the one in Marigot since we want to wander there anyways

Archived