LIVE from the Vision of the Seas Sailing 5 Oct 2012

When the control houses between the locks were built in 1913 they had wide overhanging roofs. This was in the old days before air conditioning.

They cut the edges of the roofs of years ago when the ships got too wider and started hitting the roofs.

IMG_0465.jpg

Wow, some people can be so ignorant !!!!! I'm surprised security didn't get tougher with them, lucky I wasn't there or there would have been a fist fight! Were you not able to see the locks well enough from your balcony?? I followed you on the Panama webcam, great coverage, but anxious to see your pictures. Over the heads of the hogs. Hopefully during your 2nd transit with a new bunch of people you will have a better view.

Loving this thread !!!! Thanks.

dm

At the entrance to each lock, they have horizontal, solid rubber wheels, to roll against the side of the ships if they are not perfectly aligned as they enter the lock.

IMG_0445-1.jpg

IMG_0476-1.jpg

Looking forward to another day, "with" you & Judith, on your cruise! So nice of you to take the time to post all this! WONDERFUL pictures. I've never been through the Canal & your posting/pictures are so informative!

Thanks again!:)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Trainman for the wonderful review and pictures. We were on the Sun Princess in 1999 and went through the locks on New Year's Eve. The chair hogs were on our cruise too on the top deck with blankets as it was cold and windy and did not move for people to take pictures of the locks.

Electric Locomotives, called "Mules" tow the ships through the locks and also keep them centered so they don't rub along the sides of the locks.

IMG_0445-2.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IN the photo of the track below, on the bottom you can see a "slit" between two pieces of wood. The "Mules" extend a "slider" down through that slit to pick up electrical power. The power returns through the rails which are grounded.

Between the rails you see a raised section with zillions of little round cross pieces. A "cog" or "gear" on the bottom of the "Mules" engages this to give them plenty of power to move the ships.

IMG_0448.jpg

The cruise through the lake was incredible. The shore and islands was often only 150' away from the ship. We could hear the calls of the birds and the sounds of wild animals.

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0500-1.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

Edited by Trainman-2

The "cut" was also impressive! The nature of the rock is such that when exposed after digging it can easily slump down into the canal. So they have been cutting "steps" into the slopes for years.

IMG_0538-Copy.jpg

IMG_0540-Copy.jpg

IMG_0542-Copy.jpg

Edited by Trainman-2

In 1984 I was stationed at Fort Clayton in Panama. The photo below is the former Headquarters Building. My Office was on the top floor just to the left of the center white portion.

IMG_0575-Copy.jpg

Today the entire area is a complex of Universities.

I shot this photo of the Battleship New Jersey as she transited the Canal from the 3rd floor balcony.

USSNewJersey.jpg

Edited by Trainman-2