LIVE from the Vision of the Seas Sailing 5 Oct 2012

Interesting Deck Loads on a Container Ship.

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

Interesting, as I have a picture of the same container ship with the two yachts taken on the day that we were headed thru the Panama Canal on the Infinity a few weeks ago.

Enjoy your new home, and I don't envy you for your upcoming job at your yacht club. That is a huge job, but I know that you will do it well.

I'll look forward to seeing you posting again after you retire as the Commadore, and start cruising once again.

Best of luck to you both!;)

Rick

The Panama Railroad is a major shipper of containerized cargo.

For deliveries to the City of Panama on the Pacific Coast, it is less expensive to unload from ships too large to transit the canal on the Atlantic side in the Port of Colon and move them by rail.

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

Could you please just post some pictures of your new residence after you close and move in?

All the Trainman-2 fans would love it.

You taught school, I know, and if you taught any history, your students must have been super lucky to have you tell your stories and share your life experiences. The canal pics and stories are the best.

Take care, and all the best to you and Judith in the coming year.

We will be waiting for more news from you.

Here are a few advance photos.

The Front with the small stream that is really a drainage ditch.

IMG_2377.jpg

The view from the road out front.

IMG_2376.jpg

The back deck. We plan to add a pool here if we don't run out of money.

IMG_2411.jpg

The Back Yard

IMG_2383.jpg

It has a fantastic kitchen

IMG_2396-1.jpg

Thanks for all the info on building the Canal. Not being very technically knowlegeable I never really thought about how they dug it. Being a health major, what we focused on was the history of how many people died of Yellow Fever while building the Canal, and the efforts to find out how to stop it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Trainman...we're getting ready to cruise on the Vision on Friday and I've been going back over all of your pictures and posts...and it's getting me even more excited! :o:):p

I'm feverishly packing this week and wondered if you remembered if there were hair dryers in the cabins? It would be great to have to pack one less thing!

Thanks for all you do!

Hi Trainman...we're getting ready to cruise on the Vision on Friday and I've been going back over all of your pictures and posts...and it's getting me even more excited! :o:):p

I'm feverishly packing this week and wondered if you remembered if there were hair dryers in the cabins? It would be great to have to pack one less thing!

Thanks for all you do!

There was a hair dryer in the desk drawer.

Lisa

• 2 months later...

Hi Trainman. Thanks so much for this great review. Hubby and I just booked this cruise from San Diego in 2015 and we got an oceanview panoramic. Going in this direction from west to east were more of the ports on the port or starboard side? Thanks in advance.

I can't recall exactly how the ship tied up in every port.

You will find that you are all over the ship and back and forth from side to side while approaching, transiting, and departing the locks. But I do think the Starboard side is best for transiting the canal, especially when cruising through Gatun Lake. You will be able to relax on your balcony and listen to the sounds of the wildlife on the small islands in the lake as the ship slowly and silently glides past them.

Don't ask me how I know this but it is a good idea to charge up the batteries in your cameras the night before you transit the canal.

I can't recall exactly how the ship tied up in every port.

You will find that you are all over the ship and back and forth from side to side while approaching, transiting, and departing the locks. But I do think the Starboard side is best for transiting the canal, especially when cruising through Gatun Lake. You will be able to relax on your balcony and listen to the sounds of the wildlife on the small islands in the lake as the ship slowly and silently glides past them.

Don't ask me how I know this but it is a good idea to charge up the batteries in your cameras the night before you transit the canal.

Haha-good point on the batteries! The only Starboard panoramics are on deck 8-so do you think we should switch for this west to east route? We are 7 port currently but there are still available rooms on 8. Thanks again Trainman.

• 1 year later...

Wow!!! I started your review a few hours ago- (yes I realise I'm a couple of years late!) I've already finished & now I'm going thru to subscribe to the others!

I just started a late review of my last cruise

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2117820

It's ongoing, but I'm really enjoying writing it! I feel like I'm back there!

Hailey :-)