Alaskan weather

misha1

Greetings everyone! I want to book an Alaskan cruise in the summer of 2006 but can't help but notice the huge price difference between July and September. Is the weather in September much cooler or rainy than in July? I am a fair weather cruiser and typically would do the Caribbean cuz I like it hot but thought that the scenery was worth checking out on an Alaskan cruise. But if the weather is worse making veranda sitting uncomfortable...then I don't know what to do. Any thoughts?

Misha1,

I can't yet tell you from personal experience, but we choose a 7/15/05 Vancouver north bound after reading up on the weather. We checked on the web and a couple of Alaska sites and historically July is about their best month.

a

Gross generalization of course, but yes, it is usually cooler in September than July.

Big advantage of Sept., my opinion, reduced prices, and far fewer kids and crowds, as school in the lower 48 usually back in session.

I prefer Alaska May or September, to avoid all the kiddies and crowds.

Greetings everyone! I want to book an Alaskan cruise in the summer of 2006 but can't help but notice the huge price difference between July and September. Is the weather in September much cooler or rainy than in July? I am a fair weather cruiser and typically would do the Caribbean cuz I like it hot but thought that the scenery was worth checking out on an Alaskan cruise. But if the weather is worse making veranda sitting uncomfortable...then I don't know what to do. Any thoughts?

Some climate data to help you compare the monthly differences:

Juneau

Ketchikan

ANY time school is out, you can expect to see higher prices from Celebrity vs. an adjacent time period where school is NOT out. Charge what the traffic will bear and all that...

Weather up the inside passage can be a surprise in July, and it can surprise in September. The averages for rainfall are what would more likely change my mind than the temperature. It's about twice as likely to rain in many ports in September as July. We were amazed to discover that they actually have rain forests there on the coast!

We took a June cruise in 1999 and a September cruise in 2004. It was cooler in September and rained one day on both cruises - in Juneau. Bundle up and try September. All the ports and the ship were running big sales since it was the end of the season. We did a pre-cruise tour both times and were fortunate enough to see Mt. McKinley showing its peak both times although a much better view in June. Enjoy Alaska.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I think I will bite the weather bullet and go for September. I also like the idea of fewer children on board and never considered this aspect for the summer. Did not think Alaska would be a big draw for families I guess. I will just need to pack my Wisconsin clothes.

Archived