Royal Princess Aft & Caribe-like Balconies - Photo

5:00_Somewhere

Does anyone have any access to photos showing the "obstructed balcony cabins", particularly those on Deck 8 where Princess always had mostly obstructed outside cabins (picture windows) on most of the other ships?? Just wondering how/where the obstruction is?

The price of these cabins is only slightly less than a regular balcony ($100 pp or so on our Med. sailing) and judging from the availability on the Princess web site for our sailing, they aren't exactly selling like hotcakes!! I for one, miss the option of having regular outside window cabins on this ship...

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

HOWDY! :D Use to work in Fairmont when I first moved to Clarksburg.

And I came to Clarksburg to the orthodontist. If I was VERY good, my treat would be a chili dog at Hagan's. But if you just recently moved to Clarksburg, that place would've been long gone.

Does anyone have any access to photos showing the "obstructed balcony cabins", particularly those on Deck 8 where Princess always had mostly obstructed outside cabins (picture windows) on most of the other ships?? Just wondering how/where the obstruction is?

The price of these cabins is only slightly less than a regular balcony ($100 pp or so on our Med. sailing) and judging from the availability on the Princess web site for our sailing, they aren't exactly selling like hotcakes!! I for one, miss the option of having regular outside window cabins on this ship...

Here's a decent side view showing the lifeboat davits and their relation to the Deck 8 balconies. You can visualize the life boats in place that would be the cause of the 'partial obstruction'. In most cases I imagine the top of the life boat would not come above the top handrail of your balcony, maybe a little over. You'll still be able to stand up and see the horizon and water out in that direction. ;)

8408679938_736ae122b7_c.jpg

thanks, Dave. I think until people see photos of the lifeboats actually installed & hanging in their position and how it affects the view, maybe there is some uneasiness to book these cabins. My family group is booked in three inside cabins, two of which are adjoining, and we are hoping for a sale on balcony cabins at which time we would upgrade. So, this obstructed outside may be a possibility, but hate the unknown!

Thanks again for all of your help! Off to pack...I leave on the Emerald this Saturday! ;)

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Are the aft facing balconies all covered? It looks like one row of them isn't, but I can't tell for sure.

From bottom to top it looks like:

- No (Emerald Deck)

- Partial (Dolphin Deck)

- No (Caribe Deck)

- Partial (Baja Deck)

- No (Aloha Deck)

- No (Riviera Deck)

- No (Marina Deck)

thanks, Dave. I think until people see photos of the lifeboats actually installed & hanging in their position and how it affects the view, maybe there is some uneasiness to book these cabins. My family group is booked in three inside cabins, two of which are adjoining, and we are hoping for a sale on balcony cabins at which time we would upgrade. So, this obstructed outside may be a possibility, but hate the unknown!

Thanks again for all of your help! Off to pack...I leave on the Emerald this Saturday! ;)

You're welcome!

I've seen pictures over on the Celebrity Forum on how the partially obstructed balconies look on the Solstice-class with the lifeboats in place and it's definitely not horrible. ;) It looks like the davits on Royal Princess will be a bit taller though than on the Solstice-class. For the most part I wouldn't have any objection to booking one but I'll stick with my Inside Cabin for the time being.

Celebrity Equinox

8407654613_22300a30cc.jpg

by Andreas Depping

Royal Princess

8369089525_07c195b88c_o.jpg

Have a GREAT cruise on the Emerald Princess! :D

Edited by dmwnc1959

Dave, Thanks again...the photos are quite helpful...it appears like you said earlier that the obstruction is down, basically below the level of the top of the balcony possibly lower. I was worried that the lifeboat would be hanging in front of the balcony, rendering it somewhat useless. The price difference between our current cabins and the obstructed balcony for our 12 day sailing is still in the range of $800 P/P, which is still too much of a difference for us! That pays for alot of drinks, tips and excursions!

Thanks for good wishes for our cruise!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

You're welcome!

I've seen pictures over on the Celebrity Forum on how the partially obstructed balconies look on the Solstice-class with the lifeboats in place and it's definitely not horrible. ;) It looks like the davits on Royal Princess will be a bit taller though than on the Solstice-class. For the most part I wouldn't have any objection to booking one but I'll stick with my Inside Cabin for the time being.

Celebrity Equinox

by Andreas Depping

Royal Princess

Thanks for the pictures.

Back in October we upgraded from a regular balcony to an extended balcony and moved from Baja to Emerald. Now that Princess is updating their deck plans to the new layout our cabin showed up as a partial obstruction. That was never mentioned back in October. I wasn't that concerned about the lifeboat but the location of the davits had me concerned. Some of the davits appear to be directly in front of some of the balconies. If our cabin had this obstruction both my wife and I would be upset. Thanks to the pictures posted here we have moved again. From Emerald port/aft to Riviera port/forward. I'll have a good view of the extended bridge.

Marty

Marty, I hope you enjoy your new cabin location. :D

I think the pictures in Post 104 and Post 107 definitely show that the only Emerald Deck cabins that won't have an actual lifeboat directly in front of them are the ones at that 'dimple' amidships, aft of the last lifeboat and over that 'sun porch', and forward of the first lifeboat. The lifeboat davits still seem a bit high and even if the top of the lifeboat doesn't reach the height of the balcony railing, the davits certainly will, and that may cause a problem for some. The view forward or aft, even in the areas that I mentioned early that were more 'in the clear' may have a visual obstruction while looking forward or aft. The only sure way is to move up to Dolphin Deck or higher. As sunsetbeachgal said, until we see pictures with all the lifeboats installed we won't be 100% sure.

IF I were going to book an aft-facing balcony cabin on the Royal :D would R732 be a good choice? :D

Two things would have me a tad bit hesitant about booking an aft cabin on a ship that had tiered aft balconies:

- onlookers from the lido deck (Horizon Court) outside sitting area looking down at your balcony (no privacy)

- possibilty of overnight soot from the smokestack (not sure how Royal Princess is going to be)

Here's a (sort of) recent thread from the Celebrity Forum (since so many are comparing Royal Princess to a Solstice-class ship) discussing soot on aft balconies:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1647304

If you're going to book an aft cabin, I think the further down you are away from Lido Deck, the better. Just a personal opinion. ;)

Edited by dmwnc1959

Two things would have me a tad bit hesitant about booking an aft cabin on a ship that had tiered aft balconies:

- onlookers from the lido deck (Horizon Court) outside sitting area looking down at your balcony (no privacy)

- possibilty of overnight soot from the smokestack (not sure how Royal Princess is going to be)

Here's a recent thread from the Celebrity Forum (since so many are comparing Royal Princess to a Solstice-class ship) discussing spot on aft balconies

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1647304

If you're going to book an aft cabin, I think the further down you are away from Lido Deck, the better. Just a personal opinion. ;)

Thank you - I appreciate that. I never had a tiered balcony before, so I am very appreciative of your insight!

- onlookers from the lido deck (Horizon Court) outside sitting area looking down at your balcony (no privacy).

This is the main reason I'm so unhappy we were moved from the Baja to Riviera Deck aft cabin. I'm don't mind a little open, but our fully uncovered balcony just 2 decks down from the Lido Deck will be ... interesting.

You're welcome!

Celebrity Equinox

by Andreas Depping

Royal Princess

Dave, This isn't a high resolution photo, but a number of the lifeboats are installed in this photo and they certainly appear to be above the level of the handrail.

2.jpg?w=450&h=302

Hi Brian,

I really do wish Princess Cruises would do us a better service and release some decent, updated pictures of the ship. I simply do not understand this aspect of their PR. It's been months since the lifeboats arrived on station and at least another month has passed since they began installing them. This would certainly alleviate any uncertainty. :(

A current snag when booking an aft balcony on the Royal is you can't pick your cabin! You can get pretty close to the deck level you want, but the actual cabin itself will be assigned prior to sailing ( per their reservation site). I'd like to book a Baja aft for March 2014 but can't be sure I'd get what I want, and for $1600 per person its a gamble. Called my very nice Princess TA rep whom I've used before and she can't help either.

• 3 months later...
This is the main reason I'm so unhappy we were moved from the Baja to Riviera Deck aft cabin. I'm don't mind a little open, but our fully uncovered balcony just 2 decks down from the Lido Deck will be ... interesting.

There are good things behind the Riviera Deck

1 - If you enjoy tanning :)

2 - It is the second largest suite at 680sq ft /dolphin 682 but its to low :D

The rest of the suites are approx 587 not counting marina which is also 680 but it's insane to be right under the lido deck.

I was originally booked in the S2 owners suite on Aloha and decided to move up because of the nearly 100 additional sq ft in Riviera, I hope that this extra square footage transcends over to the balcony. And from what I see none of these Balcony's are fully covered guess we need to bring umbrella's. I am trying to figure out if these balconies wrap around and are there two doors 1 per room? Really wish they would release more information about the balcony's. I hope there wont be to much noise from the lounge / chapel on the Riviera deck.

First princess cruise.