2014 Crossing--help appreciated

hmh1212

I am giving a lot of thought to the April 2014 crossing just announced and would appreciate some help with a few questions. It is the southern route and I am curious what to expect re temperatures and sea conditions. I know these both can vary widely, but would be interested to hear prior experiences. Also, not sure if O adds activities beyond what is usual due to the 5 or 6 sea days in a row. Thank you all in advance.

We've taken the Miami-Barcelona crossing twice. Each time the seas were calm and the transit uneventful. Temps were comfortable, neither too warm or cool. We sunned by the pool, but didn't swim. There were the usual activities- ping pong, shuffleboard golf as well as trivia. The O class ships offer the artist loft as well as the culinary center. Worst part was setting the clock ahead every other day, meals came around too fast.

We've taken the TA the other direction, in November, so I can't opine on the sea/weather conditions in April.

However, you won't be bored aboard Marina on the sea days. We were itinerary junkies before the TA, but we now look for more relaxed cruises and treasure those sea days. There is always something going on. Besides the activities mentioned above, there are lectures, wine (or your favorite alcohol) tastings, CC activities, stitch-ins, getting to know new friends, etc. And the cruise is long enough you can even relax to the point you can enjoy some private time for contemplation, a rare occurrence in today's world. When we disembarked in Miami we still felt we hadn't seen/done everything available aboard, so have no concerns about being bored!

and super fun...we have done this twice now on Marina...and many other times on other ships/lines. As you said...it is the "luck of the draw" re weather...but it has never been cold or rough....the salt water pool on the Marina is such fun....you just "bounce along" like a cork!!!

I'm always amazed when people say there is nothing to do on sea days...we are busy running from one event to another the entire days....Trivia (big for us)..."Stitch and Bitch"...fun for me in the AM with others who do "crafts"...think knitting, embroidery etc...and then the speakers, etc.

I think you will love it!! Please give it a try...as others have mentioned...we really love the sea days...in fact...I almost only book those types of cruises....as we are lucky enough to have been to many of the ports/cities on other cruises...and love the chance to be with friends and each oher on board!! LuAnn

If by the "Southern route" you mean going to or from Rio, I think you'll find the seas and the weather and seas to be favorable. That route is more north/south than east/west. However, it you mean the "Southern route" to be Miami/Barcelona as opposed to New York/London, then I think you'll find the weather and seas to more likely to be better than the Northern route, but may still experience a couple of days of rough seas on occasion. We've done both, with smooth days when actually crossing, experienced some rough weather on the way to the Canary Islands on the Barcelona/Miami route.

As others have said, it can't be predicted, but is more often OK than less than OK. We're booked on Miami/Barcelona in April, '13, and haven't given a moment's thought to the weather.

We're booked for the Barcelona-Rio route next year. We've done the Miami-Barcelona (or NY-Venice) route several times and on each of these we DID have a few days of rough seas. But once the seas calmed down, the waters were like glass.

We did a QE2 northern crossing in December 2004 and that was REALLY rough for the first few days. I don't know if the latter part of that trip was really different or if I was feeling the effects of the shot I got from the doctor! But down south is a lot different from the North Atlantic ...

But as you've been told, there aren't any promises ...

If you're on a cruise where the seas are difficult -- go to the ship's doctor and get a shot. It's amazing how well they work!

I say this as someone who has come to love transatlantics, whereas originally I couldn't begin to imagine so many sea days ...

Mura

We've taken the TA the other direction, in November, so I can't opine on the sea/weather conditions in April.

However, you won't be bored aboard Marina on the sea days. We were itinerary junkies before the TA, but we now look for more relaxed cruises and treasure those sea days. There is always something going on. Besides the activities mentioned above, there are lectures, wine (or your favorite alcohol) tastings, CC activities, stitch-ins, getting to know new friends, etc. And the cruise is long enough you can even relax to the point you can enjoy some private time for contemplation, a rare occurrence in today's world. When we disembarked in Miami we still felt we hadn't seen/done everything available aboard, so have no concerns about being bored!

We did a Transatlantic this year and were never bored. We have 3 more TAs planned. There is stuff to do, people to meet, games to play, books to read, ocean to watch, food to eat....and yes, it gets to the point where we sometimes saud, let's just relax today....

Totall agree with TKS here...

Thank you for all the helpful comments. Based on this information we booked the TA for April 2014 from Miami to Barcelona which just became available today. Even tho it's a long way off, we are really looking forward to it.

Thank you for all the helpful comments. Based on this information we booked the TA for April 2014 from Miami to Barcelona which just became available today. Even tho it's a long way off, we are really looking forward to it.

You will love it!!1 I'm sure!!! LuAnn

welcome!

We did the Miami to Barcelona this past March for my birthday, have 3 more transatlantic cruises booked, and have now booked a Lima to NY via Panama Canal in May 2014/

welcome!

We did the Miami to Barcelona this past March for my birthday, have 3 more transatlantic cruises booked, and have now booked a Lima to NY via Panama Canal in May 2014/

Tell me about this one!! Might consider...based on price!! :o LuAnn

Tell me about this one!! Might consider...based on price!! :o LuAnn

Well, it looks like Oceania had such a big success with the Papeete to London +/- 50 day cruise they are doing it again.

We were going to do the Lima to NY in 2013, but the price on the NY - London was so much cheaper we opted for that.

When the advance notice of the 2014 cruises appeared online, I said to Jody, "can we do the NY to London TA again in 2014"?

And she responded by saying she wanted to do something different, and that i have always wanted to do the Panama Canal, which we have never done before....so we decided to do the Lima - NY in May, 2014....and NOT another TA.

Also - the difference in cruise fare between the Lima-NY and NY-London was not that great - at least so far in advance.

So that is the one we are going to do.

Now to wait and see where the Marina goes after spending the summer of 2014 in Europe :)I don't know that we would want to do another Europe to Rio cruise...then again, maybe :)

I hope this helps...

Well, it looks like Oceania had such a big success with the Papeete to London +/- 50 day cruise they are doing it again.

We were going to do the Lima to NY in 2013, but the price on the NY - London was so much cheaper we opted for that.

When the advance notice of the 2014 cruises appeared online, I said to Jody, "can we do the NY to London TA again in 2014"?

And she responded by saying she wanted to do something different, and that i have always wanted to do the Panama Canal, which we have never done before....so we decided to do the Lima - NY in May, 2014....and NOT another TA.

Also - the difference in cruise fare between the Lima-NY and NY-London was not that great - at least so far in advance.

So that is the one we are going to do.

Now to wait and see where the Marina goes after spending the summer of 2014 in Europe :)I don't know that we would want to do another Europe to Rio cruise...then again, maybe :)

I hope this helps...

You will love the PC...we have done it 3 times now!!! It is an engineering feat..as you well know...and can be hot...so take those cool clothes...I would be more interested in the western aspect of SA...so will take a look. I also looked at the NY to London T/A...but to be honest...we have been to most of the ports before on the QM2 on a "fall color" cruise. Did find a very interesting cruise that we just booked on HAL for next early May...for my very special B-Day...think Medicare...finally...who KNEW I would want to get older??? Will save a TON of $$ on premiums!!! :eek: It is from Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal and touches many ports we did not see on QM2...while we like HAL...usually their cruises are much more expensive...because they have such an older fleet and the balcony rates reflect that since they have so few..this one ws a pretty good deal...and not too far to fly!! Any thing 5 hours or less semms like a piece of cake these days!!! :cool: I'll take a look at that Lima to NY...sounds interesting!!LuAnn

We've done a crossing every year, it's our relax and enjoy cruise without too many tours. We've encountered smooth sailings on most of the crossings, but a few times we've had rough seas for a day or two. And when I say rough, I mean really rough. But, all in all, the crossings are very enjoyable, with lots to do on board and with plenty of time to meet other passengers. You will enjoy it!

Archived