Single cabins ever possible?

Ab Ovo

Which single cabins on QE2 were "tacked on afterwards"?

(I do not have the deck-plans in front of me at the present time but seem to remember two QG singles were added in the area previously occupied by the shopping area (there were two cabins on either side/aft end, near what became the upper level of the "Grand Lounge", these were singles if I remember correctly, my apologies if I am mistaken). I don't know of any other single cabins that were "tacked on afterwards" on QE2, sorry).

Thanks for your help. :) .

I think a QG single was added near the Midships lounge around the time another QG double was put in that area (previously office space, maybe). But the small singles on QE2 were always there. On the World cruise, they did fold up the upper bunk in some of the very small doubles to seel them as singles--different generations of deck plans show some M cabins as single at one time and double at another. Some of her inside singles (and doubles with u/l bunks) were around 80 sq ft. :eek:

There's a great webpage that lists all of QE2's cabins and their sizes. I can't post a link because it's from a TA website. Can't believe the page is still "live"!!

I beg to differ...

Costa Classica, Costa Fortuna, Costa Magica, Costa Pacifica, Costa Favolosa, Costa Fascinosa, Costa Serena...they ALL have pure single inside and outside cabins with NO single supplement.

The rest of the fleet have twins, quads etc but no pure single cabins, however, they charge 30% single supplement for a solo to use them.

Carnival Corp is capable of having pure single cabins on their ships, they just choose not to on many of the lines that they own. The Costa ships have around 25-30 pure single cabins per ship on half of their fleet.

Costa may not add a single supplement but the single cost is more than the per person double occupancy charge. So, you are still paying more it just isn't added on for you to see (the booking says "included" for the single supplement). Even so, the additional cost for going solo on Costa is much less than for most other lines.

Which single cabins on QE2 were "tacked on afterwards"?

(I do not have the deck-plans in front of me at the present time but seem to remember two QG singles were added in the area previously occupied by the shopping area (there were two cabins on either side/aft end, near what became the upper level of the "Grand Lounge", these were singles if I remember correctly, my apologies if I am mistaken). I don't know of any other single cabins that were "tacked on afterwards" on QE2, sorry).

Thanks for your help. :) .

I am glad you raised this Pepper, as I am also rather perplexed.

One interesting fact is that Cunard knew the QE2 attracted a lot of singles (especially the World Cruise) and there was such a demand for QG singles that they used to run out of them and would start re-designating PG doubles as a QG single for the duration of the World Cruise.

There was one particular QG single adjacent the shop on deck 1 that had two portholes and was nearly the same size as a Q3. It was really massive for a single.

Luggage goes under the bed or if you travel with loads of it, the room steward will happily take it away to store in one of the linen cupboards on your deck.

Taking issue over not having solo cabins is fine, but when they are offered, you don't want it...you cannot have it both ways.

The cruise lines DO provide solo cabins on several ships...YOU are making the decision not to use them and then complain about the supplement imposed on a solo using a twin....

Many of the solo cabins, especially on ships like Costa Classica, Olsen's Balmoral, Olsen's Braemar are actually twin cabins that have had a bed taken out...they have not been shrunken down as a result of being designated a solo cabin....you actually have alot more space since that empty bed that you would have been staring at has been removed.

Deck plans have disclaimers on them about not being to scale and how they are representative only...solo cabins are just as big as their twin neighbours, with the same wardrobe space, same drawer space, same bathroom.

Hi,

Just felt I should clarify a few issues you have seemingly taken with me...

1. Never complained about single supplement.

2. I'm sure there are a few lines that offer the odd large solo cabin, but the vast majority of the main lines offering solos are much smaller than the standard inside.

3. I hate to be a pedant, but 100 square feet does not equal 130 square feet, which in turn does most definitely not equal 159 square feet.

The idea of solo cabins are great. I just don't think the majority of what is out there (which I have researched) is adequately sized. That is my opinion and as I said before, we are all entitled to our views and tastes.

:)

I am glad you raised this Pepper, as I am also rather perplexed. There was one particular QG single adjacent the shop on deck 1 that had two portholes and was nearly the same size as a Q3. It was really massive for a single.
Well remembered! :) . I'm impressed, I wish my memory was as good. You are, of course, correct. 1032 & 1035 were almost the same size as the Q3 cabins that surrounded them (these had been the best cabins on board when QE2 entered service).

I can find 8210 & 8209 (I referred to them in post #23) that were added to Boat Deck, but I am still hoping that the further single cabins that were "tacked on afterwards" (post #21) will be pointed out to me, I am puzzled because I can't find them.

Thank you, All best wishes :) .

Well remembered! :) . I'm impressed, I wish my memory was as good. You are, of course, correct. 1032 & 1035 were almost the same size as the Q3 cabins that surrounded them (these had been the best cabins on board when QE2 entered service).

I can find 8210 & 8209 (I referred to them in post #23) that were added to Boat Deck, but I am still hoping that the further single cabins that were "tacked on afterwards" (post #21) will be pointed out to me, I am puzzled because I can't find them.

Thank you, All best wishes :) .

Thank you for your kind words, Pepper.

I never liked any of those Queens Grill cabins on Boat Deck as the decor was very bland, with none of the beautiful wood panelling of the deck 1 and 2 cabins. But, what was worse was the fact that if the blinds were not kept closed, passers by on the Boat Deck could look into the cabin! The QG singles on boat deck were most unimpressive in size and ambiance. I really do think all those QG cabins on Boat Deck were the worst QG cabins of all.

Thank you for your kind words, Pepper. I never liked any of those Queens Grill cabins on Boat Deck as the decor was very bland, with none of the beautiful wood panelling of the deck 1 and 2 cabins. But, what was worse was the fact that if the blinds were not kept closed, passers by on the Boat Deck could look into the cabin! The QG singles on boat deck were most unimpressive in size and ambiance. I really do think all those QG cabins on Boat Deck were the worst QG cabins of all.
Thank you,

I nearly booked one of them (and a chance to dine in the famous Queens Grill on QE2) as they were the last QG singles left. But did think they looked (as you say) "bland" and so thought "book one of the original 1st Class cabins and dine in what had been the 1st Class Columbia Restaurant instead".

I am so glad I did, as my cabin 2122 was wonderful.

I was still invited to pre-dinner drinks in the Queens Grill Lounge, which was superb.

All best wishes :) .

Pay the Supplement for any category - from the lowest Britannia to Q1 - and you'll have a Single Cabin to yourself.

After several years of traveling/rooming w friends/partners, that's what I did last Winter in a Deluxe Suite on HAL, it's what I'm doing this winter in Princess Grill aboard QE, and next fall in a Penthouse on Oceania (unless I suddenly find myself Married or something - Hardly likely...)

;)

Having gone solo once, I now find myself a bit spoiled having an entire cabin with all the closet/shelf space and the big bed all to myself...

Archived