Afternoon tea

Static events

Does afternoon tea cost extra if so how much and what time is it served from/till?

;)

There are two ways you can have afternoon tea and both are free..one is the "proper" service in the Queen's room all set up with white table cloths , waiter service circulating with tea, scones, sandwiches, cakes etc and sometimes a little music on the side.. we've even had a "tea dance". You may have to queue for afternoon tea here.

The other way is to go to the self service Lido ( buffet) and choose what you want yourself, make your tea ,coffee etc

Love having afternoon tea, it is worth getting there a little bit earlier to secure a table. You can pay to have a glass of champagne with it instead of tea/coffee. It was wonderful to be there at the beginning of service to see all the waiters in white gloves walk out with their trays held high, made it feel very special. May be of interest to some - they will also serve gluten free sandwiches and cakes if you ask for them, my b-i-l got a lovely selection, all specially prepared!

Love having afternoon tea, it is worth getting there a little bit earlier to secure a table. You can pay to have a glass of champagne with it instead of tea/coffee. It was wonderful to be there at the beginning of service to see all the waiters in white gloves walk out with their trays held high, made it feel very special. May be of interest to some - they will also serve gluten free sandwiches and cakes if you ask for them, my b-i-l got a lovely selection, all specially prepared!

Don't tell me all that gluten free stuff has hit the UK now. It is very much in vogue here as well. Who would have thought there would be so many people who can not tolerate grains.

Don't tell me all that gluten free stuff has hit the UK now. It is very much in vogue here as well. Who would have thought there would be so many people who can not tolerate grains.

Oh dear, is this a vogue? I'd simply assumed the incidence of coeliac disease had risen because of better diagnosis or similar.

Mary

Oh dear, is this a vogue? I'd simply assumed the incidence of coeliac disease had risen because of better diagnosis or similar.

Mary

But it seems lately that the incidence of coeliac disease has risen to include a good portion of the population, not to mention the intolerance to sucrose, fructose and lactose which certainly should turn the afternoon tea upside down with no wheat used to make the scones or jelly or that wonderful clotted cream for their tops, And on top of that no lemon or sugar for the tea. I guess we should thank our lucky stars that we can all tolerate caffeine!:D

But it seems lately that the incidence of coeliac disease has risen to include a good portion of the population, not to mention the intolerance to sucrose, fructose and lactose which certainly should turn the afternoon tea upside down with no wheat used to make the scones or jelly or that wonderful clotted cream for their tops, And on top of that no lemon or sugar for the tea. I guess we should thank our lucky stars that we can all tolerate caffeine!:D

I can't, it makes me hyperactive, I start digging the garden, washing the car and cleaning the windows, terrible stuff is caffeine!:eek: Phil

I know a couple of people with coeliac disease, and I bet they sure wish it was a passing 'vogue' or trend. To see how horrendously ill they are if they eat something with gluten in is awful. MY b-i-l just returned from Carolina where he lost 3 days of his holiday due to a mix up in a restaurant. He ordered omelette, always a safe bet, only to find out that they put some sort of batter mix in with it too. Just shows you can't be too careful. I too can't have caffeine, gives me horrendous anxiety and palpitations, but fortunately they also provide decaffeinated!

There is a huge difference between a food or substance giving you a couple of mild symptons and a true intolerance than can make you seriously ill, and I think it is only when you know someone with the illness that you can appreciate just how bad it is. The Real PM, I hope you never have to see any of your friends or family, or indeed yourself, suffering from coeliac disease.

I know a couple of people with coeliac disease, and I bet they sure wish it was a passing 'vogue' or trend. To see how horrendously ill they are if they eat something with gluten in is awful. MY b-i-l just returned from Carolina where he lost 3 days of his holiday due to a mix up in a restaurant. He ordered omelette, always a safe bet, only to find out that they put some sort of batter mix in with it too. Just shows you can't be too careful. I too can't have caffeine, gives me horrendous anxiety and palpitations, but fortunately they also provide decaffeinated!

There is a huge difference between a food or substance giving you a couple of mild symptons and a true intolerance than can make you seriously ill, and I think it is only when you know someone with the illness that you can appreciate just how bad it is. The Real PM, I hope you never have to see any of your friends or family, or indeed yourself, suffering from coeliac disease.

Well, the gluten-free market now has become a 7 billion dollar a year industry. Nothing wrong with that I guess, if that is what people want, but certainly not all of the people buying the stuff is suffering from coeliac disease.

To buy gluten-free foods has become popular for no other reason than it is the thing to do.

I too know a couple of people who can not tolerate gluten and who get very ill when they eat gluten. And it is very nice when gluten- free products are offered for the benefit of those people who need it.. But I really believe that there has been a concerted effort on the part of companies to push their products for the sole purpose of helping their own bottom line rather than offering a product to those who can not tolerate gluten (an estimated 2% of the population) .

And as with all fads, I suspect that most of these new gluten free products will disappear into the dust created by those scrambling to promote and clean up on the next new food fad that comes along.:)

I think Gail and I realised that when we discussed it and that was the point we were making, albeit rather obtusely.

Perhaps we've been communicating for far too long, and need to make ourselves clearer for the benefit of others. Sorry.

Mary:)

Ah, but does it make you do anything useful, like ironing?

Mary:D

By the way, Mary - you didn't tell me Sir M had moved into advertising since his unfortunate demise.

http://www.iams.com/cat-food/protein-in-cat-food?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Iams_Search_Desktop_Category+Interest.Cats&utm_term=gluten%20free%20cat%20food&utm_content=sOjwZvXE8_gluten%20free%20cat%20food_e_14187276287

Does afternoon tea cost extra if so how much and what time is it served from/till?

;)

There is a "Champagne Tea" served at certain times on a voyage. It's about $27pp. You get better treats, as well a better tea selection. This is topped of with a flute of Vieve Cliquote. There is frequently music played as well. We found it nicer than the standard tea. More akin to the Grills lounge service. Unfortunately if not enough pax sign up for it, it can be cancelled.

Archived