Changing a cruise for hockey...

Mom2B&Z

I'm just lamenting my situation...

DS1 plays hockey. Yes, in Canada it is just as crazy as the stereotypes :). He is a goalie, so it is somewhat a big deal when he is not available. It isn't the end of the world, but it does impact the rest of the team and DS1 knows it. We have cruises booked for March Break of 2013 and 2014, but just found out the end of year tournaments for this level are during these trips. I'm not willing to change the trip for 2013, since we also have a hotel at Disney etc booked. However it is very reasonable...or so I thought...to change our 2014 cruise.

But...

The same cruise will cost $2000 more at Christmas compared to March Break. I wish I had looked up the cost of changing the cruise before opening my big mouth :(

I know it's an upper-middle-class problem to have, but we really look forward to our family trips as a way to spend time together, without the usual day to day distractions...like hockey:rolleyes: I just wish we didn't have to travel at peak times. (Before someone suggests pulling the kids out of school, the problem with that is DH is a vice principal, so it's not that simple.)

Ok, lament over. Now off to research other options...I'm open to suggestions :D

I'm just lamenting my situation...

DS1 plays hockey. Yes' date=' in Canada it is just as crazy as the stereotypes :). He is a goalie, so it is somewhat a big deal when he is not available. It isn't the end of the world, but it does impact the rest of the team and DS1 knows it. We have cruises booked for March Break of 2013 and 2014, but just found out the end of year tournaments for this level are during these trips. I'm not willing to change the trip for 2013, since we also have a hotel at Disney etc booked. However it is very reasonable...or so I thought...to change our 2014 cruise.

But...

The same cruise will cost $2000 more at Christmas compared to March Break. I wish I had looked up the cost of changing the cruise before opening my big mouth :(

I know it's an upper-middle-class problem to have, but we really look forward to our family trips as a way to spend time together, without the usual day to day distractions...like hockey:rolleyes: I just wish we didn't have to travel at peak times. (Before someone suggests pulling the kids out of school, the problem with that is DH is a vice principal, so it's not that simple.)

Ok, lament over. Now off to research other options...I'm open to suggestions :D[/quote']

How about a cruise on Explorer of the Seas? It leaves out of New Jersey, so you could drive, saving airfare.

How about a cruise on Explorer of the Seas? It leaves out of New Jersey, so you could drive, saving airfare.

That as our original idea, we are booked in the NCL Gem out of New York. Unfortunatey because we booked almost 2 yrs out we got a great rate I can't come close to matching.

I think I'm going to leave it for now, as he was really upset about the idea of losing the aft balcony ;)

For the 2014 cruise do you have any other options for travel such as during the time school is out in the summer?

Keith

We really need the hot weather vacation in the middle of winter, thus the plan to cruise in December or March. I briefly looked at Alaska, but with all the great things to do here in the summer, I'm postponing that cruise until the boys are older.

I think I'm going to keep giving him the option of the aft balcony versus hockey tournament...the aft cabin should win ;)

We really need the hot weather vacation in the middle of winter' date=' thus the plan to cruise in December or March. I briefly looked at Alaska, but with all the great things to do here in the summer, I'm postponing that cruise until the boys are older.

I think I'm going to keep giving him the option of the aft balcony versus hockey tournament...the aft cabin should win ;)[/quote']

I feel your pain. Between dance, soccer, high school, college, and 2 jobs with different schedules we struggle to get a time when we can all vacation together. I'm really struggling trying to find something that will work for all of us next year. DH keeps telling me we need another cruise...I'm trying!!!

How old is your son and is he on an all-star team? In our province, if you are on an all-star team, the end of season/Easter provincial tournament is mandatory. If you are planning to be away, you can't be on the team.

Our spring break is over Easter. DH teaches at the university, so often Easter is too early for him.

How old is your son and is he on an all-star team? In our province, if you are on an all-star team, the end of season/Easter provincial tournament is mandatory. If you are planning to be away, you can't be on the team.

Our spring break is over Easter. DH teaches at the university, so often Easter is too early for him.

He's 7, playing Novice and no all star/ rep team until he's 9, which is 2015.

I never thought my whole life would revolve around a hockey schedule :(

It's only just begun :D;):p

So true! Once they are in middle- and high-school, it's hard to plan anything. I was barely able to squeeze in a family cruise last summer before my oldest left for college, and then it turned out that Band Camp was scheduled that week and my younger son had to miss it. Yesterday I was talking with him about the parent meeting I had attended for his Robotics team. This is my 5th year with a kid in Robotics, so there wasn't much new for me, but I had to agree when the faculty adviser said that being on the Robotics team was an equivalent time commitment as being on a varsity sport. I would never dream of scheduling a vacation any time from January through March, and I'd even be careful and check the dates of Nationals (just in case!) before scheduling anything during spring break in April. Between Band and Robotics, he's a busy kid... and now my daughter is in ASB, plus band, planning to do Robotics when she moves up to high school next year... Life is crazy, but it's good! :cool:

At least I can get moral support here :p

Anytime;)...with DD(15) in competitive dance which is a year round sport and DS(18) who is now in college and used to be in both basketball and soccer (add marching band his Freshman year), I can honestly say been there, done that. Throw in DH's and my work schedules....let's just say I know how tough it can be to schedule a family vacation:).

We really need the hot weather vacation in the middle of winter' date=' thus the plan to cruise in December or March. I briefly looked at Alaska, but with all the great things to do here in the summer, I'm postponing that cruise until the boys are older.

I think I'm going to keep giving him the option of the aft balcony versus hockey tournament...the aft cabin should win ;)[/quote']

I think you are right.

I think given all you have said, I would just talk it through and then take the cruise. After all cruise vacations do create lifelong memories for the family.

Keith

Keep in mind that you are basing your decision on an activity that a seven year old may or may not being doing eighteen months from now.

Yeah, I know.

The cruise people think I'm crazy for making decisions about a 7 year old's hockey schedule, and the hockey people think I'm crazy for booking a cruise 2 years in advance.

The bottom line is the two groups don't mix well!!!

Personally I think that way too much importance is put on children's sports, so much so that you are actually considering changing a family vacation and possibly losing money. It's only a game, something that should be played for fun and exercise. It shouldn't be the most important thing in life, definitely not more important than a family vacation. I think it's unfair that so many kid's teams schedule tournaments at times when they know they will interfere with family togetherness i.e. like over the mother or father's day weekends, Easter weekend, March break etc.

Just my opinion. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

From one goalie mom to another, you have my sympathy! Honestly, at 7 I would probably stick with the cruise. My DS just started playing high school hockey (in addition to his travel team). It just gets harder and harder to try to fit it in. We are cruising at Christmas (booked before I knew there was a high school tournament that weekend, yikes!), so he will be missing travel AND high school. I know that we won't be doing this again, so I plan on enjoying this last hurrah. :) And I feel you on the teaching thing. I work in an elementary school. I feel like the only time we can get away now is the summer. I will miss vacationing in warm weather during the winter!!!

From one goalie mom to another, you have my sympathy! Honestly, at 7 I would probably stick with the cruise. My DS just started playing high school hockey (in addition to his travel team). It just gets harder and harder to try to fit it in. We are cruising at Christmas (booked before I knew there was a high school tournament that weekend, yikes!), so he will be missing travel AND high school. I know that we won't be doing this again, so I plan on enjoying this last hurrah. :) And I feel you on the teaching thing. I work in an elementary school. I feel like the only time we can get away now is the summer. I will miss vacationing in warm weather during the winter!!!

Thank you :). I'm quickly discovering that being a hockey mom is one thing, but goalie mom is a whole different ball game! I see how being a goalie is going to become more and more of an issue with our travel plans, so now that other things are occupying his mind, we are leaving it be. Thank goodness for the distractibility of the 7 year old boy lol! It's just hard when we are the only family on the team that takes international vacations. I'm trying to keep the perspective that we are fortunate to have this type of problem ;)

Have you looked into a shorter cruise during the winter months? Sometimes you can synch up with one of the long weekends for a 4 day.

We managed one vacation while DD has been in high school -- this summer -- the middle of August -- and even then she missed the first week of Cross-country practice, one pre-season pep band performance, and an AP Chemistry study session. She has cross country and band in the fall; curling, band, and the musical in winter; soccer, band and AP exams in the spring; soccer, ref'ing, band, running, work, tutoring, AP class prep throughout the summer!

Band is a full-time committment: Last year was the Tournament of Roses parade (extra marching practices, extra band camps, two days off school for the trip); This year is the Independence Day Parade in Philadelphia (extra band camps, 6 days for the trip mid-summer); then her freshman year of college she is already planning to come back to march in the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade. 7-9 parades each year. Performing at professional and college games. Performing for special occassions (we just did a ship launch). Performing for holidays. And then the performing for school functions (football, pep band, graduation, etc.). Plus honors bands, solo and ensemble, etc.

Have you looked into a shorter cruise during the winter months? Sometimes you can synch up with one of the long weekends for a 4 day.

We managed one vacation while DD has been in high school -- this summer -- the middle of August -- and even then she missed the first week of Cross-country practice, one pre-season pep band performance, and an AP Chemistry study session. She has cross country and band in the fall; curling, band, and the musical in winter; soccer, band and AP exams in the spring; soccer, ref'ing, band, running, work, tutoring, AP class prep throughout the summer!

Band is a full-time committment: Last year was the Tournament of Roses parade (extra marching practices, extra band camps, two days off school for the trip); This year is the Independence Day Parade in Philadelphia (extra band camps, 6 days for the trip mid-summer); then her freshman year of college she is already planning to come back to march in the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade. 7-9 parades each year. Performing at professional and college games. Performing for special occassions (we just did a ship launch). Performing for holidays. And then the performing for school functions (football, pep band, graduation, etc.). Plus honors bands, solo and ensemble, etc.

We have, but we are at least 8 hrs driving to the nearest port, or airfare to get to port. We just don't find it relaxing to spend 2 days travelling for a 4 day cruise...we might as well stay home at that point.

There is a big battle going on right now between teachers and the Ontario government right now, and unfortunately the school administrators are caught in the crossfire. These things tend to get nasty, and there is fallout for many years. So we are going to need a good vacation :)

Archived